Page 1 of 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34992032

RAF Tornado jets have carried out their first air strikes against so-called Islamic State in Syria, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

Four Tornados from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus took part in the operation soon after MPs voted to approve bombing.

The strikes targeted the Omar oil fields in eastern Syria, which is under IS control, and were "successful", Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said.

He had personally approved the targets ahead of the Commons vote, he said.

On Wednesday, MPs voted by 397 votes to 223 for UK military action against IS - also known as Daesh - in Syria after a 10-hour Commons debate.

Nice one lads

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Twitter last night was great, with everyone saying this will mean WW3 and how now they'll definitely attack the UK.

Aye, not like they've blatantly been trying for months/years already
Looking forward to more civilians being killed and it feeding their cause

also if anything will cause WW3 it'll be Russia being dicks, not Syria ffs

and even then russia know not to go /too/ far with the West
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by sam b
Twitter last night was great, with everyone saying this will mean WW3 and how now they'll definitely attack the UK.

DAE Tories literally spending NHS money for nurses and universities on bombing children in Syria? xD David Cameron is the REAL terrorist here am i right

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Destroying those oil fields is kinda messed up, but then again I don't think the civil war's gonna be over soon and the only two factions who can benefit from it happen to be incredibly horrible.

Also I'm kinda still baffled by the fact that Al Assad and the Syrian Army have killed hundreds of thousands more than ISIS and they're not also being targeted. There's a distinct lack of an actual plan here.

Yes I changed my mind deal with it.
Quote by Banjocal
Looking forward to more civilians being killed and it feeding their cause

This was also a laugh on twitter, now you mention it.

Like in 2015 with all the intelligence and technology, they're actually just like

Airbase/Pilot: *set target: Syria* "sorted lads " *fire*
Quote by sam b

"Stay out of their country and they'll stay out of ours" was the best one I saw.

Sure. Just ignore them and they'll go away
Quote by EndTheRapture51
DAE Tories literally spending NHS money for nurses and universities on bombing children in Syria? xD David Cameron is the REAL terrorist here am i right
I don't get this.

People on the Facebooks and Twitterbollocks are posting this (and that they 'don't have the money for X but do for Y') but it's within the budgets. Shittons of money is spent on the NHS and such. It's an issue of budgeting and moving it around, not whether the money is there (it isn't) or that they're extending their limits.

And despite IDS and Cameron being VEEEERY involved and implicated in huge amounts of deaths they're really not terrorists any more than their colleagues, so not much. One might make an argument about the lack of *actual* democracy here but 'terror' isn't the first word that comes to mind there...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Good deal Brits. Take out their oil revenue and ISIS will find things far more difficult. If you guys had bombed the White House in 2002 ISIS would've never existed in the first place
Quote by Banjocal
I don't get this.

People on the Facebooks and Twitterbollocks are posting this (and that they 'don't have the money for X but do for Y') but it's within the budgets. Shittons of money is spent on the NHS and such. It's an issue of budgeting and moving it around, not whether the money is there (it isn't) or that they're extending their limits.

And despite IDS and Cameron being VEEEERY involved and implicated in huge amounts of deaths they're really not terrorists any more than their colleagues, so not much. One might make an argument about the lack of *actual* democracy here but 'terror' isn't the first word that comes to mind there...

A lot of lefties are saying they're not being represented democracy has failed us etc. but as anti-Tory as I am, they did win an election fairly 6 months ago and the vote was passed in Parliament so you can't argue against democracy there.

Quote by TobusRex
Good deal Brits. Take out their oil revenue and ISIS will find things far more difficult. If you guys had bombed the White House in 2002 ISIS would've never existed in the first place

Don't tell me you actually believe this.
I wouldn't call FPTP democratic considering we aren't in a two party state tbh, and considering that calls for votes of no confidence are just dismissed on incorrect technicalities that haven't been ignored in the past for other parties, I'd argue against that.

But yeah I wasn't questioning the democratic legitimacy of this particular vote, just a general tangent.

But that's for another thread and I'm supposed to be in a lecture
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The FPTP system is a whole other debate. As it stands, in our current democratic system, angry student lefties are just butthurt they didn't get their way.

Nah tbh I genuinely think that UKIP should have more seats than they do. they got the votes and FPTP doesn't represent the public

#justofftopicdebates
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I agree also if a Corbyn Labour is a thing in 2020 I'm going back to Lib Dems lol

lol Lib Dems
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Wasn't there a poll that like 90% of the population didn't want this?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
surely it wouldn't be that high?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
surely it wouldn't be that high?

got that number from twitter, so it could definitely be wrong. Which is why I asked.

edit: yeah doesn't seem to match up to other polls. Must have been a case of pick and choose.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Dec 3, 2015,
The UK was already launching air strikes in Iraq, don't see why it's so big an issue to terrorist sympathisers that a few more are going across the border to Syria.

My only concern here is that this will do nothing to stop extreme muslims who are already in Europe and nothing to boot out Assad - a man who literally has Ass in his name because he's such an ass.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wasn't there a poll that like 90% of the population didn't want this?

A poll of Corbyn supporters and they only looked at the first 900 responses out of 1.9k and also other proper polls say 57% support air strikes

Quote by EndTheRapture51
A poll of Corbyn supporters and they only looked at the first 900 responses out of 1.9k and also other proper polls say 57% support air strikes

Yeah just googled scientific polls. Which means I have to slap someone on my twitter feed. That person is a journalist.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yeah just googled scientific polls. Which means I have to slap someone on my twitter feed. That person is a journalist.

Makes sense that the data is off then
A lot of this is showing solidarity with our 'oldest enemy', the French. Also known by the US as 'Our oldest ally' previously known by US as 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' (don't think for a moment the French have forgotten that America). It was the Paris attacks that was the catalyst for the UK's involvement, although it has always been likely to happen. I'm glad we didn't just ignore Nazi Germany and hoped they went away, or else we in UK would be speaking German now. I don't however subscribe to the 'lets bomb them before they bomb us' notion, It didn't work for the Japanese with Pearl Harbour!
Quote by Banjocal
I don't get this.

People on the Facebooks and Twitterbollocks are posting this (and that they 'don't have the money for X but do for Y') but it's within the budgets. Shittons of money is spent on the NHS and such. It's an issue of budgeting and moving it around, not whether the money is there (it isn't) or that they're extending their limits

Because 17 year old armchair politicians dont understand budgets probably.

I'm really conflicted on whether or not I agree with the bombing though. On one hand, we have to combat ISIS, they aren't going anywhere unless destroyed (even then someone else will pick up their ideology but thats another issue). On the other hand, obviously nobody wants to see more innocents killed
Quote by SMH07
Because 17 year old armchair politicians dont understand budgets probably.

I'm really conflicted on whether or not I agree with the bombing though. On one hand, we have to combat ISIS, they aren't going anywhere unless destroyed (even then someone else will pick up their ideology but thats another issue). On the other hand, obviously nobody wants to see more innocents killed

Yeah same.

I lean towards bombing because people are going to die either way. Might as well try kill some of the Jihadis with our bombs and take some of the burden ourselves instead of leaving it up to the big boys.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah same.

I lean towards bombing because people are going to die either way. Might as well try kill some of the Jihadis with our bombs and take some of the burden ourselves instead of leaving it up to the big boys.

The thing I'm mostly curious about is what exactly everyone is bombing. Did we just happen to come across the exact locations of IS members after the Paris attacks? Did we know these locations before but just didn't bother to do anything about it? Or are we just randomly bombing the place in the hopes of getting the baddies because gosh darnit they were naughty again and never mind innocent people and all other reasons that kept us from doing anything before!
Quote by SMH07

Me too. But I guess diplomacy is a no-go, economic sanctions would be difficult and would probably affect the innocents again. Send in ground troops, probably the most effective option but US elections coming up can't see that being popular! In UK after Iraq and Afghanistan wouldn't be popular, France doesn't traditionally get involved with troops. Putin seems to want to fight everyone so maybe. Looks like we're stuck with bombing, but its prone to 'collateral damage' ie civilian casualties. And just because killing innocents is the ISIL preferred mode of warfare doesn't make it right for us.
Quote by ultimate-slash
The thing I'm mostly curious about is what exactly everyone is bombing. Did we just happen to come across the exact locations of IS members after the Paris attacks? Did we know these locations before but just didn't bother to do anything about it? Or are we just randomly bombing the place in the hopes of getting the baddies because gosh darnit they were naughty again and never mind innocent people and all other reasons that kept us from doing anything before!

Well in Iraq there's been a ground war against ISIS for ages now. We've been coordinating bombing strikes against ISIS positions with the Iraqi army advances to take and hold territory from them. Last nights vote was simply "Are we gonna fly over the border into Syria now" and the answer was yes so that's what we will be doing, presumably with the correct intelligence to make targeted strikes at ISIS positions.

Not like we're just gonna carpet bomb cities like the loony left thinks we're gonna do.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well in Iraq there's been a ground war against ISIS for ages now. We've been coordinating bombing strikes against ISIS positions with the Iraqi army advances to take and hold territory from them. Last nights vote was simply "Are we gonna fly over the border into Syria now" and the answer was yes so that's what we will be doing, presumably with the correct intelligence to make targeted strikes at ISIS positions.

Not like we're just gonna carpet bomb cities like the loony left thinks we're gonna do.

Off the subject slightly, where have all the #Prey4Syren:'( lot been throughout all of the Iraq airstrikes? I'm sure there has been collateral damage there, but since its not a widespread media affair, they dont care.

The same type of people that bemoaned the France flag filter on Facebook, saying "well there were bombings in Beirut the other week (which I totes just found out about now and made no mention of when they happened lol), but where was the Lebanon flag filter!? #Outrage"
Quote by ultimate-slash

By 'we' I assume you mean the Netherlands? As far as I'm aware 'you' are not bombing anyone but supplying fighter support for US bombing raids. However, the drone attacks have taken out individuals in the command structure of IS and bombing has targeted ( ie not random) oil and logistical installations. These bombing have also been supported by 5 Arab counties and have been going on in Syria for over a year, so the US and allies have been doing something about it. As for the UK tornado bombers from Cyprus base bombed oil installations today using precision bombs (at lest that's what they're called!). I hope this answers some of your questions.
Well, I meant 'we' more as in all the countries in the west that are currently bombing the place. The Netherlands has so far refrained from flying into Syria (though a couple jets are still active in Iraq as far as I know). Our government wants to plan ahead in more detail before they commit to anything more.

It's good to know what they're targeting though, as I see a lot of news articles that basically say "an IS target has been bombed", without clarifying if that was in a populated area or anything. Because IS are exactly the kind of tits that would hide behind innocent people.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Dec 3, 2015,
Fuck the mps that were laughing and cheering about the result. War isn't a laughing matter and they should have some respect. How can we claim to be the better people when our so called leaders are gleefully cheering at the prospect of war and potentially killing innocent people, which always inadvertently happens in these situations
Last edited by Bladez22 at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by ultimate-slash
Well, I meant 'we' more as in all the countries in the west that are currently bombing the place. The Netherlands has so far refrained from flying into Syria (though a couple jets are still active in Iraq as far as I know). Our government wants to plan ahead in more detail before they commit to anything more.

It's good to know what they're targeting though, as I see a lot of news articles that basically say "an IS target has been bombed", without clarifying if that was in a populated area or anything. Because IS are exactly the kind of tits that would hide behind innocent people.

Sorry I realised later by 'we' you probably meant the 'allies'. I'm not sure Netherlands has any aircraft capable of bombing but I may be mistaken (you may have F-35 capable). Your point about IS hiding behind civilians is probably true, and I fear some of the logistical centres bombed were in or near civilian population.
I think we have like 2 F-35's at the moment (with a few others still in the making) and probably 60 or so F-16's. But a few years back the government was hesitant about sending more than 6 of those out to Iraq, so I doubt they'll be used for much more (these are the ones still used in Iraq at the moment I think).
First they wanted to bomb Assad now they want to bomb the people fighting him, who's next?
Quote by WaterGod
First they wanted to bomb Assad now they want to bomb the people fighting him, who's next?

3 groups there. Two groups are awful.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
^
The rebels aren't saints either, they're just as horrible to members of the Assad military and have a lot of blood on their hands. The whole war is a mess

Quote by WaterGod

We can't openly admit to bombing Assad because Russia is buddies with him, so instead we were arming the rebels and fighting a proxy war with Russia/Assad, but that backfired and caused isis to form, so now we're bombing the monster we created

It's a clusterfuck
Last edited by Bladez22 at Dec 3, 2015,
Page 1 of 2