I've been looking into buying a US Fender P-Bass or a Ernie Ball Stingray. And was curious as to which would probably match what I play which is anything from punk to metal. If you have any other suggestions that's not those two please feel free to mention them. Thanks.
Quote by Spaz91
I suggest German or Japanese made instead.

I know ESP is Japanese, whats some German makers? Warwick?
Warwick and Sandberg are the best that Germany has to offer outside of custom shops while Japan has Ibanez, ESP and Fender Japan. If you want to keep things domestic then I'd recommend Carvin (I think) and G&L USA.

I can't comment on Ernie Ball these days but, with the way that they're going, I'd avoid Fender USA/Mexico like the fucking plague. (Raising prices, outsourcing parts and manufacture, etc.)
Quote by Spaz91
Warwick and Sandberg are the best that Germany has to offer outside of custom shops while Japan has Ibanez, ESP and Fender Japan. If you want to keep things domestic then I'd recommend Carvin (I think) and G&L USA.

I can't comment on Ernie Ball these days but, with the way that they're going, I'd avoid Fender USA/Mexico like the fucking plague. (Raising prices, outsourcing parts and manufacture, etc.)

Oh ok, thanks! Is the Warwick Thumb made in Germany or is that one of the lower end ones made somewhere else?
Quote by cthulhucometh
Oh ok, thanks! Is the Warwick Thumb made in Germany or is that one of the lower end ones made somewhere else?

The Thumb is built in China(Rockbass) and Germany(Pro Series/Custom Shop).

It depends on how much you want to spend on the instrument.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
The Thumb is built in China(Rockbass) and Germany(Pro Series/Custom Shop).

It depends on how much you want to spend on the instrument.

Ok, thanks!
Either one of those basses will be good for your type of music. Out of those two I'd personally go with the Stingray, never been a fan of P-basses.

What's with all the hate on the USA made Fenders, my American Standard 5 string jazz bass is beautifully built.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by CNC-Digity

What's with all the hate on the USA made Fenders, my American Standard 5 string jazz bass is beautifully built.

This
Quote by dark Mass
Fender American Standard line for all their instruments are a bit screwy since they're now a random mix of MiM and MiA parts.

Also QC is split between Ensenada and Corona so buying a AmStd for all instruments is a crap shoot.

The only American lines not affected by this is the American Deluxe and American Vintage which all are Custom Shop inspected.

Also add in the fact FMIC is going to raise prices again in 2016 for all MIA instruments.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
This

Also add in the fact FMIC is going to raise prices again in 2016 for all MIA instruments.

I didn't know they mixed parts between the MIM and MIAs, that's enough to avoid them like the plague unless it's their top of the line but then again, the prices are ridiculous on that.
I own a Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass and i do not regret buying it, but i would not recommend it for metal/punk.

Have a look at the Spector LX4, their really growly and i think they sound great playing rock/metal

Another great sounding bass to me is the MM bongo HH.
I recently purchased a MIM Fender Jazz and I now own 2 (two). I admit that budget was a factor in the decision for both, but I have played and looked at the MIA Fender basses - Jazz and P Bass.

If you read the specs, you will notice there is not a huge difference. For example, the MIA Jazz has the edges of the fretboard and frets rounded, it has upgraded pickups (I believe custom shop 60's), upgraded tuning pegs, and additional graphite rods in the neck for stability. I kept asking myself - "is this worth twice the price?". The MIA is $1200 while the MIM was $600.

The answer would probably be "yes" IF the MIMs were poor quality, but both of mine are well made. For me personally the decision always comes down to: feel/playability and tone. If I get the feel and tone I want from a MIM, then why pay twice as much for a MIA? But remember, this is just my humble opinion.
Quote by smtp4me
If I get the feel and tone I want from a MIM, then why pay twice as much for a MIA? But remember, this is just my humble opinion.

I completely agree with this statement. To be honest you are going to get a 'different' tone from an MIA to a MIM, but just because it's different doesn't mean it's better. You could get a MIA for the price of an MIM back in the hippie rock era. The whole concept of MIA and MIM is business related, Fender wants everyone to buy their basses. If you're parents/you are well off or willing to spend a lot of money on an MIA then that's what you'd do because you can afford it, everyone else who just wants a good affordable bass gets the MIM or MIJ.

To me (it's just my opinion don't hate) the MIA is basically the sound/play quality of the MIM bass but 'shinier' and with a higher price tag.
how do you edit signature?
Last edited by arvarna at Dec 4, 2015,
If you gig a lot at various "hole in the wall" establishments, a MIM Fender bass is really all the more bass you will need. Pickups are easy enough to swap out, plus the aftermarket is huge for pretty much any Fender design out there. They are also one of the most copied designs out there. Anything you don't like can be very easily changed out, and you're still money ahead at the MIM price point.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Pickups are easy enough to swap out, plus the aftermarket is huge for pretty much any Fender design out there.

Exactly why I bought the MIM instead of MIA. A MIM plus upgraded pickups and tuning pegs still costs about $400 less than a MIA.
Quote by cthulhucometh
I've been looking into buying a US Fender P-Bass or a Ernie Ball Stingray. And was curious as to which would probably match what I play which is anything from punk to metal. If you have any other suggestions that's not those two please feel free to mention them. Thanks.

Are you ONLY looking for routine production basses?

Carvin is an obvious semi-custom builder, Suhr has made basses since at least 2003, Moonstone has done a few, Trussart makes them, Dean does them (yup, USA models).
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 26, 2015,
In the UK, there's also AC Guitars (Alan does some of the best-built custom basses, period).