The title says it all. I recently broke my high e string while fine tuning it. It didn't break at the nut and it didn't snap because of overtuning. I used a tuner and heard the note myself and i'm sure it was at the right range of pitch where it needed to be. Also, the tuning post didn't snap the string due to any sharp edges either. I know this because the string snapped a little farther than the hole of the tuning post where the string enters. The part of the string that bends around the edges of the tuning post's hole is fine; look at the pictures, the string broke just a little farther from those edges, so the tuning posts didn't break it. The strings i used were D'addario EXL110 gauge size .10, so they're not cheap, crappy strings. They're quality strings made by a reputable retailer. So how the hell did the string snap?? I had JUST restrung my guitar the day before and i did it carefully. I tuned the strings up, stretched them, bent the strings at different frets, and repeated those steps very carefully until i was in tune. So now I'm mad that i have to keep buying strings even though i was very careful not to break a string, but it still happened anyway! If anyone knows how i could solve this problem, please help a fellow guitarist out. The guitar on which the string broke was a rondo agile al-2000 les paul copy guitar if that helps. Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
string81554_o.jpg
string2_o.jpg
string3.jpg
The thing that comes to mind that's happened to me before is sometimes after a bunch of bending and tuning to get the string to stay in place the string starts becoming literally stretched by the tuning peg. To the point where it just splits in two at the bit that's being stretched.

For me this is what I'm pretty sure happened and my string snapped in the exact same place as yours, close to the peg itself but not inside it.
Sometimes annoying shit like that just happens. Sometimes you end up getting strings that just so happen to break very quickly and other times you don't. The more you detune and retune, stretch the strings etc., the more you work harden the steel and the more brittle it becomes. When it gets brittle, it tends to break.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah, there's no real solution to the problem. It's mainly just bad luck if you know how to string. Just be a little bit more careful than usual (not saying that you weren't being careful) and nothing should happen.
So how do you suppose I fix this problem? If I don't stretch the strings and retune, I'd be awfully out of tune all the time. Professionals on YouTube always suggest to stretch the strings and retune several times. But that's what caused my problem according to you. So how solve it? Thanks for the reply btw
Well that really sucks. I'll have to live in fear for the rest of my life knowing that every time I restring a guitar, a string might break because of bad luck and I'll have to buy more strings.... Shame
Quote by w.coronado99
So how do you suppose I fix this problem? If I don't stretch the strings and retune, I'd be awfully out of tune all the time. Professionals on YouTube always suggest to stretch the strings and retune several times. But that's what caused my problem according to you. So how solve it? Thanks for the reply btw

You may have just gotten bad strings man. It happens. QC fails, even on reputable retailers.

Daddario sells strings separately, so you could just buy a 0.10 gauge string. No need for a whole new set if the other strings are fine.

No one told you to not to stretch the strings though...
What I'm saying is it's probably not your fault. It's possible to be too rough on your strings but it really does take a bit of effort to intentionally break strings like that. Could've been a dud string, you get them every now and then even if it's a good brand. Just take extra care when you string and this shouldn't happen again. I doubt that it's really you or your guitar that's the problem.
Quote by DanyFS
You may have just gotten bad strings man. It happens. QC fails, even on reputable retailers.

Daddario sells strings separately, so you could just buy a 0.10 gauge string. No need for a whole new set if the other strings are fine.

No one told you to not to stretch the strings though...

Actually, if you look online on how to string a guitar, most videos will suggest that you stretch the strings. Even big companies like martin and/or gibson have suggested stretching the strings after stringing up a guitar, so that's why i did it. Also, what is QC?
Last edited by w.coronado99 at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
What I'm saying is it's probably not your fault. It's possible to be too rough on your strings but it really does take a bit of effort to intentionally break strings like that. Could've been a dud string, you get them every now and then even if it's a good brand. Just take extra care when you string and this shouldn't happen again. I doubt that it's really you or your guitar that's the problem.

Ok thanks for the help. I guess I'll be extra careful next time and hope for the best. And hopefully i dont get another bad set of strings again....we'll see
Good luck man.

Btw QC= quality control

And Danny seemed to be actually suggesting that you should stretch the strings, just not to worry that people are telling you not to. Because no one's telling you not to. Although I'd refer to it as bending the strings because that's what you do to make them stretch, they only slightly stretch though.
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Good luck man.

Btw QC= quality control

And Danny seemed to be actually suggesting that you should stretch the strings, just not to worry that people are telling you not to. Because no one's telling you not to. Although I'd refer to it as bending the strings because that's what you do to make them stretch, they only slightly stretch though.

You can also pull on the strings upwards from the body and fretboard. This is what people refer to when they say stretching the strings
Quote by w.coronado99
You can also pull on the strings upwards from the body and fretboard. This is what people refer to when they say stretching the strings

Hmmm, have you seen a video that tells you to do that or been recommended that by someone? That could be what broke the string. I've never used that method, to stretch the string I've always just bended (the technique kind of bend) the strings extremely whilst tuning it. Can't say I've ever come across a method where people actually pull on the strings.
Quote by w.coronado99

Get a new string and try again. There's no need for any dramatisation; this sort of thing just happens from time to time.

I yank on the strings pretty hard to get them to stretch in fully as being gentle with them just doesn't stretch them enough to stay in tune. This isn't rocket science; it makes no difference if you bend the string or pull it away from the fretboard. Just do whatever you have to do to get them stretched without breaking them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 3, 2015,
Huh, that's interesting. To stretch the string's I've always basically bended like a madman and retuned rather than pulling on the strings. It's always worked for me anyway. Can't remember where or who I learned it from...
And sometimes condoms break too.

I'd hate to see your thread when a set of power tubes go bad. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Check that tuner for a sharp edge on the hole; that's the second-most-common spot for string breakage (after a burr on a bridge saddle). If there is one, get it filed smooth.

Nice guitar.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Good luck man.

Btw QC= quality control

Exactly!

About stretching the strings, I do a bit both. First I pull the strings upwards for a bit, then I tune them to proper pitch and bend them ridiculously.
just be grateful your guitar strings are only $6-11. wait till you move up to playing bass and your strings cost anywhere from $30-60.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by w.coronado99
The title says it all. I recently broke my high e string while fine tuning it. It didn't break at the nut and it didn't snap because of overtuning. I used a tuner and heard the note myself and i'm sure it was at the right range of pitch where it needed to be. Also, the tuning post didn't snap the string due to any sharp edges either. I know this because the string snapped a little farther than the hole of the tuning post where the string enters. The part of the string that bends around the edges of the tuning post's hole is fine; look at the pictures, the string broke just a little farther from those edges, so the tuning posts didn't break it. The strings i used were D'addario EXL110 gauge size .10, so they're not cheap, crappy strings. They're quality strings made by a reputable retailer. So how the hell did the string snap?? I had JUST restrung my guitar the day before and i did it carefully. I tuned the strings up, stretched them, bent the strings at different frets, and repeated those steps very carefully until i was in tune. So now I'm mad that i have to keep buying strings even though i was very careful not to break a string, but it still happened anyway! If anyone knows how i could solve this problem, please help a fellow guitarist out. The guitar on which the string broke was a rondo agile al-2000 les paul copy guitar if that helps. Thanks in advance.

how many times did you take the string on and off the post? i see facets on the string. that happens when you try to unwind the string to straighten it out and then try to re-wind it again. whenever you see kinks in the strings you will have work hardening in that spot -it makes that section of the string much more brittle and easier to break.

judging by those other strings, your winding technique could use some help.
Last edited by ad_works at Dec 4, 2015,