Page 1 of 4
Official second post.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
I have thoughts and opinions on this matter.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Complete prohibition of guns would work about as well as the war on drugs.

This will probably be my only post in the thread. Feel free to pick it apart.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by eGraham

Then you're in luck; this is the place to post them.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by SGstriker
Complete prohibition of guns would work about as well as the war on drugs.

This will probably be my only post in the thread. Feel free to pick it apart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

Australia banned guns in 1996. They've had 3 mass shootings since then. That said, we're vastly different countries, so you can't make a complete parallel, but the results are hard to argue with.

Here's something I thought was very, very interesting.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/smart-news/cdc-still-cant-study-causes-gun-violence-180955884/

Every time there is a mass shooting, the debate on gun control and gun rights sparks again in the United States. Numbers show that there are more guns out there than ever before, though fewer people actually own them. At the center of the debate is the question whether having a gun makes people safer or not. Normally, in order to answer questions about safety, people might turn to science, where researchers could study cases of gun violence and gun ownership to determine whether they make a person safer. It's not an easy question to answer, but due to legal restrictions, most scientists never even get to try...

...For nearly 20 years, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been subject to what some call a ban on funding to study gun violence. Originally including in the 1996 appropriations bill as a rider proposed by Arkansas Representative Jay Dickey, the amendment doesn’t explicitly ban gun research. Instead it says that "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control," reports Christine Jamieson for the American Psychological Association’s Psychological Science Agenda. She adds:

However, Congress also took $2.6 million from the CDC’s budget — the amount the CDC had invested in firearm injury research the previous year — and earmarked the funds for prevention of traumatic brain injury.

tl;dr NRA lobbyist passed a bill that doesn't allow funding for gun research.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 3, 2015,
I've never handled a gun. The only thing I'd think to use it for is alley rabbits, which would be easier to trap, or signalling the beginning of a race.
guns arent as efficient as nuclear bombs imo
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Truth be told, I'm right in the middle of the whole debate. I think that idiots who pander to the NRA and think that all gun control is bad are just as blindly idiotic as those who think that complete and total control would work.

I do think it depends on the country though. I do not think that it would work in America because of the culture. And you can't just change the culture of an entire group

Edit: oh look. I already made a second post. God I suck
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker
Truth be told, I'm right in the middle of the whole debate. I think that idiots who pander to the NRA and think that all gun control is bad are just as blindly idiotic as those who think that complete and total control would work.

I do think it depends on the country though. I do not think that it would work in America because of the culture. And you can't just change the culture of an entire group

So said a bunch of southern farmers up until about 1865.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/13thamendment.html
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
americans are too evil to have gun
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Guns are bad and should be banned.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
i say americans can keep guns

eventually they'll kill each other off
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

lol at thinking ONLY threads on social issues can actually work

I mean people are going to keep making threads about individual shootings and there is always going to be talk in those so this is pointless and dumb
Quote by GuitarGod_92 at #33713202
lol at thinking ONLY threads on social issues can actually work

I mean people are going to keep making threads about individual shootings and there is always going to be talk in those so this is pointless and dumb

post in the ONLY negativity thread pls
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

guns are scary

like i play video games full of guns and those guns dont bother me

but a gun in front of me scares me shitless

that's all i have to say about this
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by eGraham

Well, i have the opposite thoughts and opinions on the matter, therefore you're wrong and also a dumbass
Probably already past the tipping point in America. Strong legislation would likely still prevent a certain degree of gun violence but it would take a long time to undo the damage already done in respect to ease of access. Pretty scary tbh, felt on edge for years when I go south of the border.
Gun control is great. Check that someone's not a lunatic before you give them a gun. Banning guns is extremely stupid. We've already banned murder, and that isn't exactly stopping the shootings either. "But when guns are banned, no one will be able to get them!"
Like drugs?
Quote by GFraser
Gun control is great. Check that someone's not a lunatic before you give them a gun. Banning guns is extremely stupid. We've already banned murder, and that isn't exactly stopping the shootings either. "But when guns are banned, no one will be able to get them!"
Like drugs?

This is basically how i feel.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker

Pardon me,
but there are ALREADY trainloads of gun restrictions,
which are ALL unConstitutional
not to mention BS fees which are nothing more than extortion,
the problem is every time there is a gun crime where someone who is usually already a felon, cannot legally acquire or own guns goes out and shoots someone,
then the kneejerk reaction is to place more unConstitutional bans on law abiding citizens-
this is RIDICULOUS, absurd logic,
but what's really happening is the masses have been intentionally led, controlled and taught increasing, bit by but that guns are bad, and we need more bans-
this is coming from the same group that
sent your manufacturing jobs overseas
extorts annual taxes to pay for their banking empire and criminal syndicate
the same people who brought you 9/11 and the multitude of false-flags,
and the same people who take your money and commit crimes all over the globe

sunaj
Common Sense Gun Control? What's that mean exactly?

Out of curiousity let's postulate the following:

Eliminate the 2nd Amendment

Require all firearms owners to have acquire a license, which requires both psychological screening and renewal every 5 years.

Require an additional permit for any semi-automatic weapon capable of holding more than 3 rounds, or any weapon in a "Military" caliber.

Ignoring the cost that just the paperwork would burden the economy with, would those laws meet the criteria, would they eliminate the mass shootings?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Dec 4, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Common Sense Gun Control? What's that mean exactly?

Out of curiousity let's postulate the following:

Eliminate the 2nd Amendment

Require all firearms owners to have acquire a license, which requires both psychological screening and renewal every 5 years.

Require an additional permit for any semi-automatic weapon capable of holding more than 3 rounds, or any weapon in a "Military" caliber.

Ignoring the cost that just the paperwork would burden the economy with, would those laws meet the criteria, would they eliminate the mass shootings?

You're right.

We should just eliminate America.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by JustRooster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

Australia banned guns in 1996. They've had 3 mass shootings since then. That said, we're vastly different countries, so you can't make a complete parallel, but the results are hard to argue with.

Here's something I thought was very, very interesting.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/smart-news/cdc-still-cant-study-causes-gun-violence-180955884/

tl;dr NRA lobbyist passed a bill that doesn't allow funding for gun research.
First thing, Australia still has a LOT of guns and there have been recent news stories over there predictably lamenting the prevalence of firearms especially in rural Australia.

Second thing the ban on research is not. It stops funding to the CDC from conducting this type of research which is done by lots of other organizations. The original statute was to counteract an obvious fishing expedition to find stats that fit their goal, this was lifted for a time but congress would not authorize funding for research probably in part due to the 10x increase in funding for such research and popular opinion being negative towards a supposedly medically focused gov organization advocating on a political issue. There is nothing stopping any other organization or person from doing this research and in fact they do all the time.

There is perhaps a conflict of interest when the government is producing its own statistics to advocate gun control.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You're right.

We should just eliminate America.

You could try that.

Except that we've got a vastly superior military.

And all those guns...
Charles Darwin
Quote by GFraser
Gun control is great.

yeh

Check that someone's not a lunatic before you give them a gun.

yeh

Banning guns is extremely stupid.

neh

We've already banned murder,

yeh

and that isn't exactly stopping the shootings either.

but you'll notice nobody goes "stop making murder illegal. criminals will just DISOBEY THE LAW". It's such a dumb argument.

"But when guns are banned, no one will be able to get them!"
Like drugs?

Drugs are much harder to get while they're illegal. Yeah, you can still do it, but the prices are massively inflated and you have to have connections. Same would be true for guns. A thousand dollar rifle might run 30 thousand dollars on the black market, which is kinda a dealbreaker for most petty criminals.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Arby911

We can cut costs in other programs (ie military spending) to set up these kinds of programs. I don't think it will make much of an impact on our economy.

No they won't eliminate mass shootings but it might reduce it. We do things to reduce our risks for heart disease, cancer, all kinds of things that can kill us (Yes these things kill more people every year than guns) and we continue to do so. We haven't stopped and said "this is all we can do for heart disease."

All this won't work by itself though. We have to do other things like giving the proper healthcare for people and just improving our society as a whole.
Quote by Arby911
You could try that.

Except that we've got a vastly superior military.

And all those guns...

Fair enough.

We'll let you eliminate yourselves.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by metaldud536
We can cut costs in other programs (ie military spending) to set up these kinds of programs. I don't think it will make much of an impact on our economy.

No they won't eliminate mass shootings but it might reduce it. We do things to reduce our risks for heart disease, cancer, all kinds of things that can kill us (Yes these things kill more people every year than guns) and we continue to do so. We haven't stopped and said "this is all we can do for heart disease."

All this won't work by itself though. We have to do other things like giving the proper healthcare for people and just improving our society as a whole.

Might? So to be clear, you would be willing to significantly restrict the rights of 300 Million Plus people because it might help?

None of those things for heart disease, cancer etc. are mandated...
Charles Darwin

O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Arby911
Might? So to be clear, you would be willing to significantly restrict the rights of 300 Million Plus people because it might help?

None of those things for heart disease, cancer etc. are mandated...

Yes. I think ending the ban the CDC has on gun research would help to make sure money isn't wasted.

Even if its not mandated it's there to improve quality of life. I'm all for that.
Quote by StewieSwan

Drugs are much harder to get while they're illegal. Yeah, you can still do it, but the prices are massively inflated and you have to have connections. Same would be true for guns. A thousand dollar rifle might run 30 thousand dollars on the black market, which is kinda a dealbreaker for most petty criminals.

I've seen this claim many times. It's not true.

Firearms are cheaper on the black market than they are over the counter in more than a few places I've visited. I can legally purchase a transferable full-auto AK in the US for about $20,000. If I visit the wrong places I can get an illegal one for less than $1000.

Military hardware is ubiquitous, all you need to know is where to look.

The difference between firearms and illegal drugs is that firearms are durable goods, not consumables.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I've seen this claim many times. It's not true.

Firearms are cheaper on the black market than they are over the counter in more than a few places I've visited. I can legally purchase a transferable full-auto AK in the US for about $20,000. If I visit the wrong places I can get an illegal one for less than $1000.

Military hardware is ubiquitous, all you need to know is where to look.

The difference between firearms and illegal drugs is that firearms are durable goods, not consumables.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

Mass shooters don't use illegal weapons. They use what they have.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

Mass shooters don't use illegal weapons. They use what they have.

Some do, many don't.

The overwhelming number of "mass shootings" in the US are gang-related, and in nearly all of those the weapons were acquired illegally.

I heard a statistic last night on the radio that claimed that if we remove gang shootings and terrorism from the equation that the US has about the same incidence of mass shooting as Europe. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's intriguing if it is.
Charles Darwin
^It probably puts us close. People take our higher than w Eastern Europe gun violence and conflate it with a homogenous violent culture. There's a whole history of how our inner cities became ganglands and the government itself helped create these spaces where people solve conflicts with violence. The demographics of the US alone make the situation vastly different than in tiny culturally and ethnically homogenous European countries, generally, which isn't to say they are running into problems along those lines as well.

It's just not the epidemic or black and white issue that it's painted as in popular media.
Quote by seanlang01
^It probably puts us close. People take our higher than w Eastern Europe gun violence and conflate it with a homogenous violent culture. There's a whole history of how our inner cities became ganglands and the government itself helped create these spaces where people solve conflicts with violence. The demographics of the US alone make the situation vastly different than in tiny culturally and ethnically homogenous European countries, generally, which isn't to say they are running into problems along those lines as well.

It's just not the epidemic or black and white issue that it's painted as in popular media.

Agreed, the simple truth that the overwhelming majority of our firearms homicides occur in just a very few "hotspots" is overlooked in the rush to claim that we've a dangerous gun culture.

The truth is that the "gun" culture is pretty peaceful (hundreds of thousands of "gun" people at guns shows nationwide every single weekend with hundreds of thousands of firearms on display and being carried, and it's exceedingly rare that there's ever a shooting...), but the drug and crime culture isn't, and they use guns.

But of course anti-gun folks are more than happy to lump everyone together if it fits their cause.

Edit: The last numbers I can find show our national firearms homicide rate to be 3.55, which seems relatively high against other developed nations.

However, as per my contention above I found the following rates:

New Orleans 62.1
Detroit 35.9
Miami 23.7
Baltimore 29.7
Washington D.C. 19
Atlanta 17.2

I'm betting those number skew the "average" a bit, and the reality is that the vast majority of the nation is actually incredibly safe.
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 4