i was brosing CL the other night (which i shouldn't do), i found something that i just couldn't pass on. $379 for... nice shape, fresh tubes, has footswitch, etc...

its a...

yep, a JSX for $379. seems like a pretty good deal. so i drove down to get it. and... here she is!

for the review...

first to start off, its heavy as hell. solid build, what else would you expect from peavey?

for those who don't know, this was Satch's signature amp when he was with peavey. its a three channel (clean, crunch, and ultra) and HOT DAMN its got gain. cleans are very nice, pretty simple, not bland, not too bold. the crunch channel is what it says, crunch. it does it very well, good overall balance with the other channels. and the ultra channel... gain galore. too much for most applications, but it sings so sweet and smoothly. one other thing that it has that i like is a built in noise gate. it doesn't seem to do harm, but its nice and quiet when you have the gain cranked (which i don't do for the record).

the amp overall is quite awesome. i love it. its a keeper.

here are two shitty shots of my other gear.

the studio is messy and the blanket on the couch has soooo much mojo... haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Very nice.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Very nice.

HNAD

thanks!

this is my first NGD i have posted in a while. i got a big one coming soon though with a lot of things i haven't posted yet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
thanks 311!

i should say that this amp LOVES celestion K85's, better than V30's with the JSX IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!

Ver' sexxxxxy!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sweet dude! Trying to hit us up with some sick clippage?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Sweet dude! Trying to hit us up with some sick clippage?

Thanks!

i will get around to it someday...

_________

i am messing with the crunch channel and i tweaked it to almost like a 5150 tone. not quite, but nice (but a little different). all of the channels are fully usable (which is nice).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yeah I had the Ultra Plus and it was awesome on all the channels, I imagine the JSX is even better.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah I had the Ultra Plus and it was awesome on all the channels, I imagine the JSX is even better.

the ultra plus is a hell of an amp. i think i only played one a few time (or maybe it was the regular ultra ).

it is pretty slick though, i like the JSX more than the Ultra, but if i could find an ultra in good shape, i would jump right on it.

___

the thing that impresses me most about the JSX is the crunch channel. i am hitting almost near 6505 shit. its not quite the same, but it has some form of voicing, but it can get brutal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Very jealous -- nice score!!! The time I played one, I was very surprised at how much gain it actually had -- definitely plenty for ANY genre of metal, and I wasn't even boosting it. I remember the lead tones being better than my 6505+ too; just more "liquidy", silky, and musical (it's hard to describe, but you know what I'm talking about).

I remember the cleans being very nice too. Actually, I'm going to try to pick up an amp specifically for excellent cleans this winter. Would you say the JSX would be a good candidate? I'd be running a lot of reverb and delay with my cleans, if that makes a difference. The other channels of the JSX would just be a bonus...

Anyway, HNAD!
HNAD

I really liked my JSX, the ultra channel has an almost Recto sound to it. I used the Crunch channel almost exclusively though.

And your right the Ultra channel has way too much gain, I ran mine at about 4-5 and that was almost too saturated for my tastes

Did you get the footswitch with it also? That is a hell of a good deal. In my area those deals are almost unheard of. Best I have done is my JCM for $500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 4, 2015,
That sounds like a great deal. CL around here seems to be fairly stagnant at the moment, unless you are down for trading, which I always am. I actually just picked up a 5150 last night.

Those JSX tend to pop up every now and again on GC for decent prices. The condition of yours looks to be very nice. Now, hurry up already with your NGearD post!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Niiiice score dude!

You should get some clips of that puppy if you have the time
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KailM
Very jealous -- nice score!!! The time I played one, I was very surprised at how much gain it actually had -- definitely plenty for ANY genre of metal, and I wasn't even boosting it. I remember the lead tones being better than my 6505+ too; just more "liquidy", silky, and musical (it's hard to describe, but you know what I'm talking about).

I remember the cleans being very nice too. Actually, I'm going to try to pick up an amp specifically for excellent cleans this winter. Would you say the JSX would be a good candidate? I'd be running a lot of reverb and delay with my cleans, if that makes a difference. The other channels of the JSX would just be a bonus...

Anyway, HNAD!

Thanks! I know what you mean by the smooth and silky leads. They are wonderful. If you are looking for a clean only amp, while the JSX has nice cleans, I would look elsewhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Robbgnarly
HNAD

I really liked my JSX, the ultra channel has an almost Recto sound to it. I used the Crunch channel almost exclusively though.

And your right the Ultra channel has way too much gain, I ran mine at about 4-5 and that was almost too saturated for my tastes

Did you get the footswitch with it also? That is a hell of a good deal. In my area those deals are almost unheard of. Best I have done is my JCM for $500

I like the ultra channel a lot. It loves the liquifire on my 3570 ibanez. Definitely has enough gain. lol. The crunch is fantastic too.

Yea I did get the footswitch, and a cover, and I got him to throw in a speaker cable too. I haven't found a deal like this in a long time. My CL has gone to shit though, I just got lucky this time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Man you do get some sick deals from reading your threads. The best I've done is my EBMM ($800)
Quote by dementiacaptain
Man you do get some sick deals from reading your threads. The best I've done is my EBMM ($800)

Damn that is a good price on the EBMM.

I get good deals because I am never really searching for one thing nor need it now. I was actually in the market for a 5150, but saw this at a good price. I will pick up a 5150 one of these days when I find a good deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
lucky bastard what a great deal. i really want one as my next amp. no need to get an ULtra as the JSX is an improved version. i find them to be more to my liking than the 6505. the distortion is smoother and does sing on ultra and crunch channels. having a usable clean channel is a big plus.
Quote by monwobobbo
lucky bastard what a great deal. i really want one as my next amp. no need to get an ULtra as the JSX is an improved version. i find them to be more to my liking than the 6505. the distortion is smoother and does sing on ultra and crunch channels. having a usable clean channel is a big plus.

yea, it was a hell of a deal i got lucky this time.

i agree that the JSX's overdrive is better (for me) 90% of the time. however the 6505 has that tone that the JSX can't get. i will still be getting one someday. now its on to pickups on prestige RG's, a few pedals, then another cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
sweet killer price too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet killer price too

Thanks Dave! It's probably one of the better deals I have snagged.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 4, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Wait, I've been call Danny Dave all of these years

Haha, I must have been looking at something else...

Sorry Dave l.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The tech-death tones just drip out of that thing, eh?

HNAD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The tech-death tones just drip out of that thing, eh?

HNAD!

yessir! it has some sweet melo-death too for sure.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Haha, I must have been looking at something else...

Sorry Dave l.

hahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Awesome deal and amp I know I've been enjoying my combo version since I got it. Didn't realise how massive and heavy (looking) the head is as well. My combo has been breaking my back gigging, only complaint from me.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by UFC on VHS
Awesome deal and amp I know I've been enjoying my combo version since I got it. Didn't realise how massive and heavy (looking) the head is as well. My combo has been breaking my back gigging, only complaint froim me.

yea, the head is borderline stupid heavy, i can only imagine the combo.

its a great head though. what are you running for tubes in yours?

the amp is growing on me everyday. my mark and rockerverb are getting less attenting

but i love them all. haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!