Hello,

I'm planning on buying an ESP KH-2 NTB Signature Series painted to look like Kirk's one.

My question is this guitar legit and does it worth it's price ($3.5k) ?

Guitar's serial number before painting

After Painting

Guitar pictures

Last edited by ri6 at Dec 4, 2015,
No, I don't think you should spend $3000 on that.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
No, I don't think you should spend $3000 on that.

Anything wrong with the guitar or just doesn't worth it ?
Quote by ri6
Anything wrong with the guitar or just doesn't worth it ?

imo if you're spending that much on a guitar it better be custom (or pseudo-custom like Kiesel-Carvin) or vintage with some kind of collector's value.

Was this purchase primarily for the paintjob?
Quote by Skullivan
imo if you're spending that much on a guitar it better be custom (or pseudo-custom like Kiesel-Carvin) or vintage with some kind of collector's value.

Was this purchase primarily for the paintjob?

I'm still considering purchasing it, The main reasons is the paint job and it's an ESP not LTD.
I wouldn't spend $1500 on it let alone $3500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
$3000 can get you two ESP guitars. $3000 can you get a really nice PRS or maybe even two if you went used. $3000 gives you so many options, it could be a very bad move to buy this. Many would also argue that graphics really kill the value of the instrument, but that's subjective... Someday you might end up hating it and it may not be an easy sell. Especially if this isn't factory.

Which, by the way, you have given very little info on. Who painted it? Did it come like that from the factory? Why does this feel so damn sketchy... That uneven serial number upsets me. My own E-II is very even, very clean.

I might also argue that this being painted to look almost exactly like another Kirk Hammett signature treads a fine line between real and counterfeit.

You can do whatever you want, though. Just know that this can become a very expensive regret.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
What the other guys have said mate, not worth that much. You could get a fleet for that price, could probably buy a KH genuine sig model or 2 with that much doe!!
Quote by lemurflames
$3000 can get you two ESP guitars. $3000 can you get a really nice PRS or maybe even two if you went used. $3000 gives you so many options, it could be a very bad move to buy this. Many would also argue that graphics really kill the value of the instrument, but that's subjective... Someday you might end up hating it and it may not be an easy sell. Especially if this isn't factory.

Which, by the way, you have given very little info on. Who painted it? Did it come like that from the factory? Why does this feel so damn sketchy... That uneven serial number upsets me. My own E-II is very even, very clean.

I might also argue that this being painted to look almost exactly like another Kirk Hammett signature treads a fine line between real and counterfeit.

You can do whatever you want, though. Just know that this can become a very expensive regret.

Well, It's painted by a guy who said a professional made the graphics.

Full guitar description is here http://ebay.com/itm/ESP-KH-2-Neck-Thru-NTB-Kirk-Hammett-Guitar-Mummy-/151879225348

If it doesn't worth it's price as a guitar I'm not going to buy it, As you said it might be hard to sell it if I wanted to.

But I've searched online and the stock price of this guitar is almost the same as the painted one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-kh-2-kirk-hammett-signature-series-electric-guitar

Any suggestions would be great!
Quote by T.A.Z
What the other guys have said mate, not worth that much. You could get a fleet for that price, could probably buy a KH genuine sig model or 2 with that much doe!!

I looked on amazon, the KH-2(plain black one) sells for $3000 on there, so you can probably find one new for less.

EDIT: Looking at TS's link in the last post, the pics aren't even of the one he's selling. Maybe it;s me, but my ripoff merchant senses are tingling.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Dec 4, 2015,
Quote by ri6
Well, It's painted by a guy who said a professional made the graphics

If he is so professional, why does the listing not mention the painter's name or even list his shop and where you could get it done yourself? Heck, it's not even current pictures of the guitar you're buying. Even still, how does that justify buying a ruined KH-2 that you'll never get your money back on?

At the end of the day, that Ebay guitar is a refinished KH-2 that a guy wants too much for (ESPECIALLY considering the serial number is so fucking wonky and questionable). If your fanboyness is stronger than your wallet, then by all means go for it. I think your money would be spent better elsewhere.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I love my kh-2. It is definitely worth 1-1.5k. I got mine on CL for $800. I would not pay $2200 for a paint job; especially not a sketchy one.
Too many weird things about this. Why paint the backside of the headstock? Seems completely unnecessary. The "original" serial number could just be a picture of another guitar. No way to ever know because the jack-ass painted over it, if it ever was there to begin with.

Remember these rules: 1. Any tampering done to a guitar, even refinish in many cases, almost always reduces the value of the instrument. The exception is if a famous painter has done the work and there is documentation to prove it. Even things like signatures don't generally contribute to the value of an instrument unless it's freaking Elvis or John Lennon. 2. If the serial number has been tampered with, you can't undo that, even if the seller claims to be honest (not stolen) or has re-created it with documentation (still demand a lower price as it is no longer original). 3. Don't ever pay for someone else's stupidity unless they are unloading it at a stupid low price and you have the skills to fix it/deal with it/plan to keep it. You may like the paint-job, but clearly the person who commissioned the paint job doesn't (or is trying to rip someone off). Even if it has a custom paint-job, it is a used instrument. You're just paying for someone else's bad decision, even if you happen to like it. Don't pay for their bad decision. Pay for your own bad decision if you want to get a custom paint job. 4. Never pay more than what the used market dictates an instrument is worth when buying used. 5. Re-read.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Dec 4, 2015,
I wonder what ESP says about that serial number.

No way to know what you're buying is even what they claim.

The serial number spacing compared to the rest of the detail screams counterfeit to me.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
That guitar is a fake
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I wouldn't pay that much. what is it about the KH guitars that you like? Is it just the fact they are his sig guitars?

I mean it is your money, so spend it how you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^this. granted ESP make some stellar guitars but I would bet you could find some amazing guitars for the budget you are looking in. Unless you are hell bent on having a Kirk sig.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Robbgnarly
I wouldn't pay that much. what is it about the KH guitars that you like? Is it just the fact they are his sig guitars?

I mean it is your money, so spend it how you want.

I like KH guitars for a couple of facts, They sound great, Look awesome and a legend's signature.

I'm considering KH-3 now and have two options on eBay, Any suggestions would be great.
This may be well and true, but with that money you could get multiple guitars that sound just as good and look good as well. Granted they are not his sig model, but sig models are highly overrated IMO.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I know you're set on getting a KH but please try out the ESP M-II guitars. The KH is just an M-II with skull inlays. Remember you're paying a lot of money just for the name. I've played the ESP KH-2 guitars and while they where great guitars I couldn't justify spending the extra money when the M-II cost a lot less and was essentially the same guitar.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
You could get two M-IIs.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by ri6
I like KH guitars for a couple of facts, They sound great, Look awesome and a legend's signature.

I'm considering KH-3 now and have two options on eBay, Any suggestions would be great.

Sig guitars cost more because they have a name attached to them. If they actually offer features not found on other guitars then go for it.

Also most sig guitars loose an incredible amount of value as soon as you buy it. Most ESP KH guitars are lucky to get $1300 used

If you really want an ESP, here is a KH2 for $999
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/ESP/KH2-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Electric-Guitar.gc
If you spend more than that, you have more money than sense.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 7, 2015,
Here's a KH-DC if you want a special cool looking one: https://reverb.com/item/1170508-esp-kh-kirk-hammett-dc-48-hour-inspection-period-see-last-paragraph-for-details

I saw a KH-3 on CL for 1100 only a month ago here in the bay area. Please don't waste your money paying $2000 extra. We're trying real hard for you.

Other ones which are real/I would recommend:

Yes, that is a K on the serial number. Means it was very much made in japan and is very good. Also, free case, so there's that.

https://reverb.com/item/1325096-2002-esp-kirk-hammett-kh-2-japan-no-repairs-ohsc-emg-s-floyd-exc-player

Oh, old pre-sig one that's cheap:

https://reverb.com/item/545523-esp-custom-kh-2

Also looks pretty real. We're trying to save you lots of money. Please work with us.
^ good listings.
The only issue I have is the DC version, I have seen it for <$800. But good way to show TS how cheap prices are used on these guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ri6
Hello,

I'm planning on buying an ESP KH-2 NTB Signature Series painted to look like Kirk's one.

My question is this guitar legit and does it worth it's price ($3.5k) ?

Guitar's serial number before painting

After Painting

Guitar pictures

No... Advertisement allowed... Roger that
Last edited by avankai at Dec 12, 2015,
You can not advertise in this forum, besides the price you want is a fucking rip off, you can get that guitar for <$1000 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can not advertise in this forum, besides the price you want is a fucking rip off, you can get that guitar for <$1000 used

Ah sorry... ill edit my post
Quote by avankai
Ah sorry... ill edit my post

If you want to sell something, there is a dedicated thread on this site to do so.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate