I just installed a new bridge pickup on my V and it seems to be having volume issues. The pickup works but whenever I turn down my bridge volume the volume just cuts out. Any ideas?
If I just swap out the original humbuckers into need ones, I take pictures of the wiring write down a diagram which wire goes where, as well as color of wire. Example: black = hot, red +white = coil split, bare =ground.. Each manufacturer of pickups have their own wiring guide.. I am assuming your humbuckers have 4 or 5 wires.. If you don't intend to coil-split them, cover the two coil-split wire together with electric tape. Check to make sure the solder you made isn't making a connection or has contact with any other portion of the pot. If it has capacitor, make sure it is soldered properly. Posting pictures of the electronics will help anyone interested in giving advice.. Since I don't know what you did, I am just going by what I would do. Good luck on your upgrades.
Ric,
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I just got a new (used) guitar (esp ltd) last week and it has the same problem!
I use the volume controls all the time so this is a huge issue for me.
a good start is , active or passive pickups , which kind of guitar do you have the issue(s) with guys.

psp742 hit the nail on the head in one aspect though, if your volume knobs nuts (things keeping them stable) is loose and the pots are touching the shielding that is a big issue.

with active you have 25k (sometimes 100k) , this is like a walk to the amplifier to change settings. With passive you have 250k to 1000k (1m) , this is like a trip to the guitar shop. Dumb euphemisims but I just woke up. My point is 0k to 500k , 0k to 1000k and you can have lots of in between stuff going on turning the volume up or down. 25k like actives if it's a first time using them this is part of the territory. 25k pots are pretty much an on/off switch how little of a difference there is 0k to turning it to 25k.

I mean volume should be fine if it's properly grounded and you have control, but for it to cut off completely after say 9 is odd
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 4, 2015,
i thought my second reply went through, apparently not... Anyways, i was saying if the USED guitar you bought had the volume pot problem, swapping or upgrading the pickup will not solve it, usually Name Brand Guitar Company will cut cost on import guitars using solid body wood, nice frets and nice neck but the electronics and pickups is where quality is hit and miss, so upgrading to better quality components means more dependable guitar for you in the long run..

My personal option is upgrade the electronics to better quality, specially if you plan on keeping the guitar.. Like: Switchcraft / Oak Grigsby = output jack and switch, CTS / Bourn = potentiometer (audio or linear).. it depends on preference, i used 'Linear taper' pots.. but usually people would suggest 'Audio taper' pots.

i went over and beyond by using Push-Pull B500k linear pot (Japan) for coil-split. You have so many options if you want to upgrade the electronics.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 4, 2015,