Currently I am playing thru a Crate GX80 (got this amp new back in the 90's) its plenty loud but doesn't have the sound I am after.
I am looking for a good gigging combo amp. We play rock and metal. Should I look for a 2x12 combo or just stick with 1x12? How many watts would you recommend? I was looking at a line 6 and a Peavey viper but still have yet to make up my mind.

I miss my Marshall jcm900 half stack but I do not want to carry a half stack around to shows anymore.
Lots of good choices.
Gotta be more specific about your set list, the places you play, where you live, and your budget for the most useful recommendations. I have 3 amps I gig with and each has it's uses.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Lots of good choices.
Gotta be more specific about your set list, the places you play, where you live, and your budget for the most useful recommendations. I have 3 amps I gig with and each has it's uses.

+1
Budget and what's the heaviest music you play? What tones do you use the most?
Quote by ktm5
Currently I am playing thru a Crate GX80 (got this amp new back in the 90's) its plenty loud but doesn't have the sound I am after.
I am looking for a good gigging combo amp. We play rock and metal. Should I look for a 2x12 combo or just stick with 1x12? How many watts would you recommend? I was looking at a line 6 and a Peavey viper but still have yet to make up my mind.

I miss my Marshall jcm900 half stack but I do not want to carry a half stack around to shows anymore.

Get a 1x12 Mesa Boogie - the Express should cut it. Cheaper options would be Blackstar or Peavey 6505.
If you want a 1x12 then the Peavey 6505+ combo would be pretty nice. These run $300ish used

If you want a 2x12 look for a used 5150/6505 2x12 combo. These run $500ish used.

If you want to try something different the Krank Rev+ 2x12 combo goes for pretty cheap used also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
First, I'd say OP - none of the amps you mention in the opening.

Quote by reverb66
Get a 1x12 Mesa Boogie - the Express should cut it.

I'd also look at Traynor YCB range YCB50V if you want that Marshall sound, or Marshall DSL40C itself. You could also look up Orange - Tiny Terror combo or Dark Terror, or Dual Terror depending on gain and options you want.

You should also look up JSX combos if you can find one, that will cover all your bases.

Carvin - V3M and Legacy are great choices, you can get head or lunchbox/cab or combo.

If you want to go more traditional you can look up Vox AC15 or AC30, Peavey Windsor, Peavey Classic 30, Crate Palomino, Carvin Tweed with OD pedal in front.

If you want to go solid state since all above are tube, look up Tech21 TM30 or TM60.

I think for band situation a 30 watt tube and 50 watt and up solid state would be optimal. 15 watt tube might work in some situations, but I'd go 30 watter just in case you need to overpower a drummer. With solid state I prefer to be at least above 50 watt and in most cases even at 100 watt.
our sound ranges from stuff like
Tool, Clutch, Taproot, Seether, nothing face, Lamb of God.

budget is under $500

I want a full thick sound.

I have a GT-3 pedal.

does a 2x12 really sound better then a 1x12? is it worth having the extra weight and $$

live in Ohio and play manly bars/clubs and party's. some of which are outside. I will be mic up thru the PA most of the time depending on bar or club
Last edited by ktm5 at Dec 4, 2015,
if you are Mic'd it wont matter, its just the physical presence of it pushing air.

If you use the GT3 for your actual sound/tone then the amp wont really matter and you will just want something that can stay clean. In that case I would recommended the most used backline amp in a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

With that said the 6505+ still would be better suited for the music you play
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
A bigger cab with more speakers does mean a bit more volume, though you'll mostly notice the increased low-end. There's a lot of variables with cabs outside of the number of speakers, but if price and transportation are issues, a 1x12" is just fine.

Quote by thejester
If you use the GT3 for your actual sound/tone then the amp wont really matter and you will just want something that can stay clean. In that case I would recommended the most used backline amp in a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I strongly disagree, the frequency-response of a HRD and other similar amps is less than optimal for high-gain, GT3 or not. Part of that is the amp, part is the speaker, all in all it's not worth bothering with for dark, metal-y sounds.
I'd rather plug the board into a speaker-simulator and go DI than that.

Quote by thejester
With that said the 6505+ still would be better suited for the music you play

Yup. The 1x12" 6505+ combo should do the trick.
I gigged with a Peavey Classic 30, then a Fender Blues Deluxe, clean plus pedals. I'm old fashioned, I don't like the idea of built-in digital fx/modelling. The BD wouldn't go very loud before it started to compress, so I couldn't get more than about 4w out of it as really clean.

A warning about the Mesa Express, I had a 5-25 and returned it because the clean channel was too noisy; tube swapping wouldn't fix it.
If your gain and tone comes from the GT-3, run it through an EV ZLX-12p for full range sound that mirrors what you hear thru the GT-3 on headphones. If you get your tone and gain from the amp, Find a used 50w Mesa from the 90s. A 50 Cal would do nicely.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Used Mesa Mark combo with a boost IMO.

PS:For anyone interested, I played a Gibson Flying V today
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I picked my peavey 5150 2x12 combo at guitar center For $450 greatest deal with 2 yr pro package.
under 500? oh man thats tough. im going to say new? POD all digital multi FX setup or perhaps even a bugera.

used - more options. marshall DSL (jcm2000) 40 watt combo or the 50 watt head ( need a 2x12 cab), used peavey, used carvin v3M (or perhaps new if you can fork up a little more cash).

most of these high wattage combos (50+ watts) are going to weight a lot, especially in a 2x12 setup. well over 50 pounds.

if you really stress "not lugging things around", perhaps the POD digital setup would work if you like the tone. that would also cover a lot of your FX.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)