Page 1 of 2
I have started playing guitar a little more and I decided to go on a search for my ultimate go-to guitar that I can afford. I understand that there is no such thing as the "one" perfect guitar but I want a main ax that will be flexible to do what I need in most situations that I will have. This is going to be primarily used for recording. I play rock/metal but I play softer stuff too. I like the King Vs from Jackson and I convinced myself that I want a neck through, a Floyd rose with EMG 81/85. It looked like the KVXMG was the perfect fit for me. The problem is that the more I research, the less important some of that seems.

I spent hours watching videos and researching only to learn that when it comes down to it, many opinions lean toward the following...

1. The EMGs do not sound "better" than stock pickups, only slightly different. I hear many people say that tone is going to be from the amp and processors and the EMGS will be alittle more quiet but not much else. Also I have read that "Emgs suck" and they are "the best pickups hands down" so I don't know what to think

2. A neck-through body has almost a negligible effect on sustain and the only advantage is not feeling the heel on higher frets and looking "cooler"

3. There is no discernible difference in tone or sustain with a string though or a Floyd Rose and the only real advantage of a Floyd Rose is for Divebombs (which I rarely do) along with other pros and cons.

4. The entry level Jackson King V (JS30 KV) sounds and plays almost identical to a midrange/better model such as a KV3. (I'm not comparing the 2 grand KV2s or super high end stuff)

Maybe those opinions are wrong but I would love some input.

I will add that personally, I had an entry level Jackson Kelly (JS32) and still own a KE3. They sound the same to me but I actually preferred the neck on the JS32 which had smaller frets for some reason on this particular model. I own a Jackson KVX10 which is a string through bolt on with Jackson pickups and I love it but I keep telling myself that I need an upgrade.

Don't know if I should just leave it alone and have my KVX10 as my go to or sell it and get a KVXMG or save money, keep my V and get an entry level V in the color I want.
Whatever else you do, DO NOT BUY SOMETHING BECAUSE THE MONEY IS BURNING A HOLE IN YOUR POCKET.

Buy when you're sure you've found what you want.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Whatever else you do, DO NOT BUY SOMETHING BECAUSE THE MONEY IS BURNING A HOLE IN YOUR POCKET.

Excellent advice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by slapsymcdougal

This x1000

Buying things for the sake of buying things will mostly lead to:

a) Honeymoon phase (I LOVE THIS THING!! IT'S BETTER THAN "INSERT EXPENSIVE PEDAL")

b) Post honeymoon (THIS THING IS AWESOME, but I don't like this this and this on it)

c) Doubt (Yeah I mean, it's okay but is it really that great? For the same price, you can get such and such)

d) Abandonment (Yeah I mean, it was a nice pedal, but wasn't for me)

e) Contempt (WORST fucking purchase I ever had in my life. I WOULD RATHER OWN A BOSS DS-1. I LOST SO MUCH MONEY ON IT)

So be wary when impulse buying gear.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My current go-to analogy:
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Your amp- and how you dial it in- is the single biggest defining factor in your sound, followed by your selection of effects. The guitar & its pickups are the final tweak.

As I said somewhere else, the amp is like the ice cream in your sundae, the pedals are your syrups & toppings, and the guitar is the cherry on top.

(Maybe the whipped cream.)

The guitar IS important though, but not for the reason many think. It doesn't define your tone so much as it is your hands-on interface and the most visible aesthetic decision in your rig.

Because of this, it must feel comfortable to you. The neck, the frets, the curvature of the body- if you don't like those things about a guitar, perhaps it isn't the guitar for you.

And while it is the least important to your sound, the guitar's visual aesthetics can be a powerful psychological ingredient in your motivation to play and how you connect to your audience (if any).

So start asking yourself questions about what your goals as a player are.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

If you like the guitar and feel as though it is what you want and you can afford to get one, why not?

But never buy a guitar you cannot afford. Use your common sense.
1. The EMGs do not sound "better" than stock pickups, only slightly different. I hear many people say that tone is going to be from the amp and processors and the EMGS will be alittle more quiet but not much else. Also I have read that "Emgs suck" and they are "the best pickups hands down" so I don't know what to think

This is entirely subjective, but being sterile and compressed-sounding is what most people consider conventional EMG's to sound like. You can fix the compression problem by very easily by wiring 2 9v batteries in series instead of just 1.

At the end of the day, what matters more than anything is if you like them.

2. A neck-through body has almost a negligible effect on sustain and the only advantage is not feeling the heel on higher frets and looking "cooler"

That is true. But again, if you'd like it, get one. That's all that really matters.
3. There is no discernible difference in tone or sustain with a string though or a Floyd Rose and the only real advantage of a Floyd Rose is for Divebombs (which I rarely do) along with other pros and cons.

I wouldn't agree with this as much. In my experience, it does make a considerable difference, but it depends on a ton of other factors. And there are aftermarket trem blocks you can add to the bridge that help reduce the sustain loss. But if you're not going to use the Floyd Rose bridge's features very much, I really wouldn't suggest getting one. A lot of compromises have to be made when you have a Floyd and not really using it in the first place makes having one counterproductive.
4. The entry level Jackson King V (JS30 KV) sounds and plays almost identical to a midrange/better model such as a KV3. (I'm not comparing the 2 grand KV2s or super high end stuff)

I strongly disagree. I think the differences are night and day, but that's just me.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you like the guitar and feel as though it is what you want and you can afford to get one, why not?

But never buy a guitar you cannot afford. Use your common sense.

This is entirely subjective, but being sterile and compressed-sounding is what most people consider conventional EMG's to sound like. You can fix the compression problem by very easily by wiring 2 9v batteries in series instead of just 1.

At the end of the day, what matters more than anything is if you like them.

That is true. But again, if you'd like it, get one. That's all that really matters.

I wouldn't agree with this as much. In my experience, it does make a considerable difference, but it depends on a ton of other factors. And there are aftermarket trem blocks you can add to the bridge that help reduce the sustain loss. But if you're not going to use the Floyd Rose bridge's features very much, I really wouldn't suggest getting one. A lot of compromises have to be made when you have a Floyd and not really using it in the first place makes having one counterproductive.

I strongly disagree. I think the differences are night and day, but that's just me.

That's solid advice dude. Personally, I love EMG's especially the 81/85 combo, but I have other pickups in guitars as well. Pickups are like ice cream a lot of great flavors to mix and find that tasty goodness that fills your soul
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 4, 2015,
Thanks guys, good advise. Do you guys think I will notice much of a difference stepping up from my KVX10 to a KVXMG? I think I need to actually break one of my rules and go into a Guitar Center and just play one... I may be best keeping what I got.
Quote by agent
Thanks guys, good advise. Do you guys think I will notice much of a difference stepping up from my KVX10 to a KVXMG? I think I need to actually break one of my rules and go into a Guitar Center and just play one... I may be best keeping what I got.

If you can try out a guitar before buying it, by all means do it...
Quote by agent

What DanyFS said. Also if you have no experience with Floyds you better take a quick crash coarse they can be a bastard to setup when you're a n00b to them. While you're at Guitar Center there is no shame in talking to one of the techs on that.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
this really seems like a case of GAS based on the eyes and opinion rather than the ears and hands on. absolutely wrong way to buy a guitar. othrs opinions can only get you so far as it's up to you to decide if it works for you. if you can't tell the diffeence between a low end guitar and higher up the ladder ones then you have to ask your self why. it may well be that there isn't much actual difference or it could be a lack of expeience with the things that matter. if there is any doubt about the sencond option then take some time to learn and get some hands on experience.

personally i really enjoy my neck thru guitar and the access is great and very comfortable. as mentioned don't spend more than you can afford but by the same token don't cheap out when you don't absolutely have to.

best advice try out the guitar you re thinking of getting and see if it is the "one" or at lest one worth buying.
Your Japanese Jacksons are more or less equivalent to the X-Series. If you want some variety in your arsenal (neck-through, Floyd, EMGs) then go for it. I would recommend going for a Pro King V (KVMG) though. Those are great and you get a faster satin neck, ebony fretboard, FR Series 1000, and EMG 81/89 with coil tap. Those are a definite step up from what you have and you can find them "remanufactured" for the same price as the KVXMG.
Thanks again, I have seen a few of those KVXMGs around, If I can find one at a good price I may give it a shot. I have played for over 20 years and I have a Floyd Rose on my KE3 so I am familiar, I have just been out of the scene for a long time and I kind of just played whatever I could get my hands on. I have about 12 or 13 guitars and most of them are mid-range or second hand aside from my Taylor acoustic. I just want something I can baby and have as my special "baby". The KVMG looks like it has everything (and the white looks sweet!) but it's a little steep on the price. I will have to play one and then maybe sell my KVX10.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
In my experience, most B-stocks are designated such over cosmetic issues or are factory refurbs. Should be alright as a guitar, if not as an investment.

Yes it does- it is a fully operational can opener...for 55 gallon drums.

(But seriously, US Masters guitars were damn good guitars.)

I think I am going to save up a little bit and wait for a white B stock or white with black bevels. I will probably list my KV10 on craigslist and see how it does. Thanks guys.
There's a white with black bevels used store return KVMG on ebay right now for a good price, has some chips on the horns though.
And horn chips are often found on used Vs, so not exactly a big deal.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yes it does- it is a fully operational can opener...for 55 gallon drums.

(But seriously, US Masters guitars were damn good guitars.)

I have never played any of their guitars, or even heard of them until now. I honestly can't yay, nay on their product.
My newest addition,
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I think that is my next guitar. The White with the black looks sweet. A used one with horn chips is no biggy. I can finger nail polish it if it bothers me.
Quote by agent
I think that is my next guitar. The White with the black looks sweet. A used one with horn chips is no biggy. I can finger nail polish it if it bothers me.

I got mine used with horn chips too! lol. As long as they're small Idm too much. That white one is gorgeous eh?
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by monwobobbo
this really seems like a case of GAS based on the eyes and opinion rather than the ears and hands on. absolutely wrong way to buy a guitar.

Yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup yup
While I admit, part of this is GAS based, I have always loved Jacksons and My King V is awesome but it just isn't quite "the one." I just want something a little more High end but still have the overall Jackson feel. Every once in a while I think about a Kelly with EMGs but most seem to rate the King Vs more favorable.
Quote by agent
While I admit, part of this is GAS based, I have always loved Jacksons and My King V is awesome but it just isn't quite "the one." I just want something a little more High end but still have the overall Jackson feel. Every once in a while I think about a Kelly with EMGs but most seem to rate the King Vs more favorable.

I know what you mean

My newest addition,
That is a sweet looking Kelly!
Here are a few of my Jacksons. KVX10, KE3 and a DKMGT. I just sold a white JS32 Kelly.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
This x1000

a) Honeymoon phase (I LOVE THIS THING!! IT'S BETTER THAN "INSERT EXPENSIVE PEDAL")

b) Post honeymoon (THIS THING IS AWESOME, but I don't like this this and this on it)

c) Doubt (Yeah I mean, it's okay but is it really that great? For the same price, you can get such and such)

e) Contempt (WORST fucking purchase I ever had in my life. I WOULD RATHER OWN A BOSS DS-1. I LOST SO MUCH MONEY ON IT)

Just got the Fender Murray Strat this week, already feel the GAS kicking in for an ESP I've had my eye on for a while... I need a therapy group!!!!
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Those Dave Murray Strats are sweet! I still use my strat quite a bit. I have a 90's MIM strat with Lace sensors. I need to do some adjusting on the neck though, it's a little bowed.
Quote by agent
That is a sweet looking Kelly!
Here are a few of my Jacksons. KVX10, KE3 and a DKMGT. I just sold a white JS32 Kelly.

Thanks man, you have a nice little collection yourself.

SpiderM , Nice cat!

Thanks, he was a stray, took about 2 yrs to earn his trust... once I did, I took him to the vet to be fixed and flea dipped, plus shots, he follows me everywhere around the house, once I get to where I am going he lays down like that, until I go to another room

He will sit and watch me turn my amp on , put the strap on the guitar, second that plug hits the jack he's gone! lol.

I never impulse buy anything that costs more than $40 bucks. I have to see return value for what the item is priced or I just simply do not buy it. I have a personal spending limit of $1,300.00 USD on any guitar or I will not buy it. There is no guitar in the world worth more than that to me.
My newest addition,
Well, I think I will do some more research before committing and hopefully get my hands on one to try out. Yeah, my cats go into my music room and look around but if they hear a string plucked or a cymbal tapped, they run!

Here are a few more of my guitars, most of them are nothing special but I have been collecting since the early 90's.

And my drums
Sweet! As far as Jacksons go I stay with 90-95-6ish year models (MIJ) and it's pick and choose. We have a 90's Pearl set also with Evans heads just a basic 5 piece with a double Mapex pedal and I gave more for that than I did the kit.

Nice setup you got there man.
My newest addition,
Thanks! I started out with a Pearl Export 5 piece. It was a nice kit. I had a Pearl Masters for a bit but I actually like this PDP Concept Maple better. I got a REALLY good deal on a DW 9000 Double pedal and it's just been growing since.

It's been a while since I have really played so I spent some time playing my King V and my Kelly and I think, if going by body style alone, I am going to get a Pro King V. The Kelly had a little bit of a nose dive thing going on, and the V just felt better. I still really dig the Kelly so I will be using my KE3 on and off. I just listed my KVX10 on craigslist for $300. Not sure if that's a fair price but I figured I would give it a go. Now I just need to find a guitar store that carries a V pro or maybe I will chance it after I save up some and order one. You guys are a big help! Thanks!
You won't be sorry if you get the Pro King V, it's a great guitar.

Problem is Jackson doesn't make a Pro Kelly yet, or a Pro Warrior for that matter, which is my favorite shape. Every year I keep hoping they'll release one.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
This x1000

AHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!! This is me repeatedly over a number of years
Agent, you could just upgrade that KVX10 with a different sustain block, pickups, bridge, wiring and satisfy your lust for a new guitar, probably cheaper than you think. Some searching on reverb, eBay and other forums could yield some good deals for those items.
My newest addition,
Quote by Ikillintel
Agent, you could just upgrade that KVX10 with a different sustain block, pickups, bridge, wiring and satisfy your lust for a new guitar, probably cheaper than you think. Some searching on reverb, eBay and other forums could yield some good deals for those items.

I actually gave that a thought. The cheapest I could find an EMG 81/85 set was around $100. About another $100 for a cheap floyd rose system but then I would have to do some major routing to the body and I would be afraid that I would screw something up. I know it could be done but I have done a few Frankenstein projects in the past and have regretted it most of the time.

I am actually seeing quite a few white King V pros that are new or near new so they are not as scarce as I thought. If my V sells, I will probably get one and chance it. If not, I have patience and I will wait. After playing my Kelly last night with the floyd rose, I think I want that on a V. I didn't use it a lot but I unconsciously but purposefully used it a few times with my palm and even though the strings on that guitar were YEARS old and sounded like crap, they were still mostly in tune. I wish I could find one really cheapwith bad paint but otherwise playable and then just paint it myself to save some money but there are a few for around $700 which I would do.
Page 1 of 2