Hi there fellow musicians!

I approach you all as a rather newer guitar player, newer in a sense that I have not exactly played a lot of different guitars, but have played enough to have a sense of what I desire for my play style. I am currently in possession of my first guitar of 5 years now (Dean Vendetta), which has finally given out on me electrically. I am aware that I can have the pots replaced to remedy it, but I just really want some guidance on what kind of guitar I may be able to purchase instead to further match my skill. Thing is, I'm not exactly sure what might be the best choice (or even financially strategic choice if you will) for my play style and my budget.

For my playing style, I really enjoy the metal scene, and deeper than that, very progressive technical playing. I frequently listen to progressive metal bands such as Between the Buried and Me and The Safety Fire, but I also have a soft spot for bluesy songwriter play styles. With the questions I've asked my musician friends, they've kind of pointed me in the direction of Gibson and Fenders for their fretboard mobility and healthy sound, and even more specific, the metal fret pins that separate the frets; they followed up with saying how they seem to be a nuisance sometimes with mobility. So I am a bit stumped here.

Of course, I have given much thought and consideration to Ibanez ' RG series, however they have exactly what my buddies say to try and stay away from. Same thing with ESP and Schecters.

I seek more advice, so I come to you!! Any info on structural details is most appreciated, I am an overly eager learner.
What is your budget?

Other than that, you need to go into a music store and put your hands on a few instruments. That's the best way to determine anything. You could also give us some other information. Passive or Active pickups? What kind of bridge: Hardtail, Trem, Floyd Rose? Body design/shape and finish - more of a traditional look or modern look?

I can't tell you what is best for you. I pretty much play middle of the road Fender guitars. I play them because I like them. May not be your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with ESP and Schecter guitars. Nothing wrong with Ibanez guitars. They all have their own fit and feel. I wouldn't own any of them, not because they are bad instruments, but because they aren't my style. I don't care for them aesthetically. Guitars are a personal thing, narrow it down for us and give us an idea of what features you're looking for. We can help you from there. But at the end of the day it's your money, your instrument.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Gibson and Fender are like the Rolls Rocyes of cars, they're timeless and efficient. But for the metal scene although you can play metal with them there are so many new builders that do better guitars than either of them.

Maybe your buddies hate change or are hipsters when it comes to guitars but Ibanez makes excellent guitars. I cannot stress how much of a difference it can make in your shredding or for your tone. The RG series are incredible for tone and playability even in the low-ends simply because Ibanez is a great guitar manufacturer, way ahead of Dean if I dare say. If you're looking to go metal I really implore you to keep Ibanez RG guitars in consideration, Ibanez guitars tend to keep thin neck profiles with flat surfaces and have very low action for easier play ability. And don't get me wrong you can play great prog/blues with an ibanez too, it's just fender and Gibson looks more 'classy' and has that vintage rolls royce feel. ESP and Schecters are great too Ibanez is just a personal preference.

Having your friends telling you to stay away from Ibanez/ESP/Shecter and buy fender/gibson when you want to play fast is like they told you to stay away from ferrari/lambourghini and buy rolls rocye/limousines.

TLDR - Ibanez RG series is beast for what you've written in terms of easy playability and fretboard mastery in metal prof and blues and I highly recommend it.
how do you edit signature?
Last edited by arvarna at Dec 4, 2015,
I like Ibanez they make some great players. I prefer the S series over the RG comfort and looks. I like hardtail guitars so mine is a hardtail great ax. I think unless you plan on doing a lot of dive bombs and feel you need that kind of trem it is better to not have one it makes the guitar easier to take care of.

I have a Fender a Gretsch a partscaster and two Ibanezes. Ibanez wins with the playability tonewise they are all great. My Fender and my Gretsch are no slouches as players they are not quite up to the Ibanezes. I have an AR 325 and an S421.
Quote by krmavity
With the questions I've asked my musician friends, they've kind of pointed me in the direction of Gibson and Fenders for their fretboard mobility and healthy sound, and even more specific, the metal fret pins that separate the frets; they followed up with saying how they seem to be a nuisance sometimes with mobility. So I am a bit stumped here.

I have NO idea what your friends are talking about when they're talking about "fretboard mobility" and "metal fret pins that separate the frets." I'm a bit stumped here, too. I would have expected that if you were playing for five years, you'd understand what they're really saying.

Most guitars are built with the same general specs as the Gibsons and Fenders, and that includes guitars that are much less expensive and those that are far MORE expensive.
Neither of those brands are Rolls Royce quality up and down the line. They're more like GM, which has a few good cars, a wide range of mediocre cars and some real rolling trash. All within the same brand. Just as GM has faced serious competition from offshore (usually Asian) competition, so also are US-made guitars facing some great options with great pricing in the Asian guitar brands.

as far as brands go, you gotta get what feels good to you.

FWIW i have seven gibsons, six fenders (four are USA), and a quad of ibanez prestiges. they are all great, but different.

different flavors, different feel, different uses. they all make fin guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ThunderPunk
What is your budget?

Other than that, you need to go into a music store and put your hands on a few instruments. That's the best way to determine anything. You could also give us some other information. Passive or Active pickups? What kind of bridge: Hardtail, Trem, Floyd Rose? Body design/shape and finish - more of a traditional look or modern look?

I can't tell you what is best for you. I pretty much play middle of the road Fender guitars. I play them because I like them. May not be your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with ESP and Schecter guitars. Nothing wrong with Ibanez guitars. They all have their own fit and feel. I wouldn't own any of them, not because they are bad instruments, but because they aren't my style. I don't care for them aesthetically. Guitars are a personal thing, narrow it down for us and give us an idea of what features you're looking for. We can help you from there. But at the end of the day it's your money, your instrument.

Ok I guess I'll start naming off some interests in mind...
I'd say my budget is in the range of 500-800 for starters. As for pickups, I don't exactly know the technical benefits of passive/active pick-ups. I guess I should have been a bit more specific and said that I've played inconsistently over the past 5 years and haven't delved far enough into my technical knowledge om guitars so much as my ambition to get my skills out of the beginner stage. I can say I like the standard body style with the single cutaway like the Telecaster or Les Paul as well as the double cutaway like my Vendetta or Ibanez models. With finish, I like the glossy acrylic look, especially on solid body models like PRS Custom.

For pickups, of course I don't know the specifications and recommendations, but I've really liked playing EMG blackouts if that helps.
I could recommend that Joe Satriani signature Ibanez model, that might be up your alley. BUT... you really need to go pick up some guitars and play them for yourself. Different players have different tastes when it comes to instruments. As you are still learning this stuff, the best way to get the experience is to see up close, feel it, and hear it. Every player has different preferences... for example.. If I were going to take the plunge and buy an Ibanez, it would be the new Talman models. But, those might not work for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
500-800 what?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate