Hey, so

I'm using the 4ohm input on the back of my Marshall 1960a cab (the 16ohm input doesn't work) and running it to the 4ohm input on the back of the head but there's a switch, which goes from 4ohm to 8ohm, it's currently on 8, considering I'm using the 4ohm input on the head and cab, should I switch that switch to 4 ohm?

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question but I've never had a head and cab before, only combos, so it's all a tad confusing
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by Will Lane
You have an ohm switch and two different rated-ohm output jacks on the head?

There's 3 different inputs, 16ohm and 4 & 8 ohm, they're parallel jacks, I don't know what that means and then there's a switch to change it to 4ohms or 8
Paul Gilbert
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah - put everything at 4 ohm

not sure what you mean by the 16 ohm jack doesn't work. Not much to break there. Do you have a multimeter.

There's no wires connected to the 16ohm output on the inside and the green motherboard type thing (I'm sure that's the technical term) it looks someone has taken a lighter and burnt it on the 16ohm side, no on has, I don't know what happened to it, that's just what it looks like
Paul Gilbert
I think the Marshall manual covers that with a diagram, find it online and check it out.
I think you should run the 4ohm jack at 4ohm setting, but I usually run Marshalls on the 16 so I'm not sure.

Couldn't really see the back on this but maybe someone will remember the labels:
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 5, 2015,
The two on the right are in parallel, their impedance set by the switch. There's a line going between them. Come on, man. It aint rocket science. Look at it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The two on the right are in parallel, their impedance set by the switch. There's a line going between them. Come on, man. It aint rocket science. Look at it.

Why be a dick about it? I literally said I know it's probably a noob question but I just don't know, forums are for you to help people and for people to help you, not be a dick when someone doesn't know something you do
Paul Gilbert
Don't worry about Cathbard. He's just a grumpy old tech. See....it says so right under his user name. Don't take it personal.

TBH - It does look confusing on the back of that amp so I can see why would be confused and you are smart to ask. I've done some pretty stupid things myself - like accidentally plugging my FX return into a speaker out or running the amp head without a load etc.
I have this head. Download the manual and it covers all the output settings.