Page 1 of 3
So i have been playing guitar for around 3 years and have been playing on a crappy 15 watt amp, i have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new amp . I have decided on the amp head i want, which is the Blackstar HT Metal 1H, now the only problem that remains is choosing a cab, i am torn between the Blackstar 1x12 and a laney ironheart 2x12. Also i play pretty much only metal.

Thanks a lot (first post)
Get a different amp, the HT1 is mediocre at best
What is your budget and location?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a different amp, the HT1 is mediocre at best
What is your budget and location?

seriously this.

what is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I am not really keen on solid state modelling amps, and i really would like some tubes in my rig. Personally after trying out the Blackstar on multiple occasions with my Schecter Hellraiser i really enjoyed the sounds that it made and i could not find anything better for my price point. Why do you say the amp is mediocre?
Quote by oskos2001
I am not really keen on solid state modelling amps, and i really would like some tubes in my rig. Personally after trying out the Blackstar on multiple occasions with my Schecter Hellraiser i really enjoyed the sounds that it made and i could not find anything better for my price point. Why do you say the amp is mediocre?

Because it is not that great of an amp, it has 1 knob for EQ and 1watt is basically useless unless you are only playing at home alone. Besides the tone isn't that good

This head
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

and this 2x12
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

This will give you a very nice rig with great speakers in the cab (celestion V30's are standard in Mesa, Orange and many other high-end company's. The amp is 2 channel and foot switchable with a full EQ section. And based off of the Soldano Hot Rod Avenger

It comes in under your budget so you can grab an OD pedal to use as a boost to get more modern metal out of it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 5, 2015,
Thanks a lot, do you reckon i could get a Lamb of God type sound out of it?. Something with high gain but quite a lot of mids, and i have never heard of this company, so are you sure they are trustworthy?
Quote by oskos2001
Thanks a lot, do you reckon i could get a Lamb of God type sound out of it?. Something with high gain but quite a lot of mids, and i have never heard of this company, so are you sure they are trustworthy?

Thomann is the largest Music retailer in Europe.

Jet City are solid amps and are designed by Mike Soldano who basically invented Hi-gain in the 1980's with his Soldano SLO. The famous Peavey 5150/6505 and Mesa Dual Rectifier are based on this amp.

The Regular Soldano line is made in USA and start at $2000+, the Jet City amps were started to give a budget minded amp the design of very expensive iconic amps made by Mike. Somehow Jet City has managed to give a good quality product at an insane price. Jet City is a USA owned company and they are cheaper in Europe, go figure that one

But deff get an OD for a boost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4vcBinczA&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5PG8_uG_Q&feature=player_detailpage

You can thank me later
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wow that really does sound like a much more expensive ampilifier. I think im gonna have to go for it haha. Now i know this is a complete noob question. But how do you change the sound? i am used to 2 channel amps. A clean and an od channel, whereas this amp is single channel? i know i probably sound very stupid. But yanno, everyone has to start somewhere haha
Quote by oskos2001
Wow that really does sound like a much more expensive ampilifier. I think im gonna have to go for it haha. Now i know this is a complete noob question. But how do you change the sound? i am used to 2 channel amps. A clean and an od channel, whereas this amp is single channel? i know i probably sound very stupid. But yanno, everyone has to start somewhere haha

No the JCA 22h is 2 channels and foot switchable between both. The second video shows the single channel JCA20h but the recording is of the 2 channel JCA 22h.

there are separate crunch and OD channel gain knobs on the far left.

Then the EQ section which is shared by both channels

Then you have the post gain knobs for both channels. These are the master volume knobs for the channels.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
so the amp is only footswitchable, say the footswitch broke or i happened to lose it or something (which i wont ) then i cannot change the channel? This is confusing me because usually the aps i used had a simple button which selected the overdrive or clean channel.
Quote by oskos2001
so the amp is only footswitchable, say the footswitch broke or i happened to lose it or something (which i wont ) then i cannot change the channel? This is confusing me because usually the aps i used had a simple button which selected the overdrive or clean channel.

As far as I know you should be able to switch channels without the foot switch. The foot switch is just a standard 1/4" mono plug. $12 on amazon all day long
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Honestly I owned a Bugera 333 for a few years and it did sound good, but it was completely unreliable. So because of that I will never recommend anyone spend their money on one. The one shop in my area that did carry them stopped because of all the returns for broken amps/warranty repairs.

IMO Jet City is a much better company.

Your guitar will sound just fine through it.

FYI Zacky Vengeance from A7X actually uses/used a Jet City JCA100h live on tour. It is the 100 watt version of the JCA22h

(Invalid img)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That 4x12 also has V30s stock which are very good speakers and the cab is made of plywood and not MDF like most cheaper companys are.Harley Benton is the house brand for Thomann that is why they are so cheap. Not a bad deal at all if you want a bigger rig.

I live in the US and the HB G212 vintage I originally linked is cheaper to buy from thomann and shipped across the ocean than to find a new cab with those speakers stock here in the US. I'm guessing because they sell so many of the damned things.

The 2x12 should be more than enough for home or gigs. I have a small head (*Krank 1980) and I put it on a 2x12 cab that I stand on end so it is about the height of a amp sitting on a 4x12 and you can get to the controls really easy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
mmhm ok so are there any other competitors in this price range or would you say this is the best amp in my price range?
Quote by oskos2001
mmhm ok so are there any other competitors in this price range or would you say this is the best amp in my price range?

It is the best IMO. the 50 watt version might be a better buy if you think you might need the extra power someday. But the JCA22h is a great amp at a killer price in Europe.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The amp is amazing and it does sound killer and so is the price, the only downside is the aesthetics imo... but who cares if it sounds godly? haha
I personally like the Vypyr 60 tube amp modeller better (for modern metal) but you said you didn't want a modeller. For whatever reason - I was not a fan of the Jet Cities when I played them but I still say listen to Rob because he knows what he is talking about.
Quote by oskos2001
The amp is amazing and it does sound killer and so is the price, the only downside is the aesthetics imo... but who cares if it sounds godly? haha

That is the biggest gripe from people who own it.

You can switch the front and back panels though like a lot of people do

They were making them all black with the new Jet City logo, so that may just be an old stock photo, shoot Thomann a call/email and ask them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea that would probs be a viable option to change the front and back panels,there are just too many amps to choose from..i think i might shop around a bit and see what i can find. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the head new and a cab 2nd hand?
Quote by oskos2001
Yea that would probs be a viable option to change the front and back panels,there are just too many amps to choose from..i think i might shop around a bit and see what i can find. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the head new and a cab 2nd hand?

By all means do some research and go test drive some amps to see what you like. There are Jet City dealers in the UK so you might find one to try out.

for the price of those HB cabs with V30s your not going to get anything better used for that price very often come up for sale.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes i live like a 30 min drive over to Andertons which is the biggest dealer in the uk i think so i might pop down there and see what they have to offer. Actually on monday i am going to see Ola Englund doing a clinic 5 minutes away from andertons so i might bring my guitar along and try out some heads.
The Randall Diavlo amps have gotten lots of praise, I don't have any experience with them. But Randall did what Jet City did, they had Mike Fortin (who is a modern amp genius www.fortinamps.com ) design some budget minded metal amps. Deff worth looking at, but the one you linked is really thin on features like an EQ. Maybe one of the other Diavlos with a full EQ, like the RD20
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To be honest i am looking for a good base toe right now, i dont really mind if it has scarce eq, because i would love to start playing around with pedals and i could always buy an eq pedal if it lacks eq?
Quote by oskos2001
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rd_20_h_head.htm This would be a great amp to get it has a few more eq,s and will be very loud but it is 100£ more than the 5 watt version.. and fr my 400 pound budget i dont think i would be able to get a £100 cab haha

Well go test drive some amps. Try amps that are above your budget also so you can compare to the ones you can afford to see if you are willing to settle or if saving a bit more would be a better option.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by oskos2001
To be honest i am looking for a good base toe right now, i dont really mind if it has scarce eq, because i would love to start playing around with pedals and i could always buy an eq pedal if it lacks eq?

If the amp has an FX loop then a pedal EQ is a deff option, but without an FX loop for the EQ to run in I'd think twice.

EQ pedals work best in the FX loop because it adjusts the preamp signal not just the raw guitar signal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by oskos2001
i have found this http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_gitarrenbox.htm but i cannot find any hb 212? (sorry for the multiple posts guys) :/

here you go dude
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh ok, uuurrm this will sound very stupid but i dont really 100% know what a fx loop is haha
an FX loop lets you add pedals/FX after the preamp signal but before the power amp section.

I looked and yes the RD5 has an FX loop

You can use pretty much any cab, just match the Ohms. The HB cab would work great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So the Randall can use both speaker (16 0hm) or would i only be able to use the mono 8 ohm mode
None of the dealers near me are randall dealer it does look very appealing tho
Page 1 of 3