Yesterday I took delivery of an almost-new Fender American Vintage '59 Strat in faded sunburst, with a maple neck. It sounds great. I'm accustomed to rosewood fingerboards, so the heavily radiused neck will take some getting used to. My fingers right now tend to slide off. Beautiful guitar, though.

It joins a 2012 American Standard Strat in sunburst, a MIM Strat in woodgrain, a Gibson ES-355 (wish it didn't say "BB King" on it), and a Gibson Les Paul Standard 120 Anniversary model. I just sold a signed and dated Jim Hamilton Steve Ray Vaughan "Main" that I bought last year. I realized I couldn't just look at a guitar.

Friends ask why I spend so much on guitars when I just started playing, and my answer is simple. I'm 65. The dexterity in my fingers is going. I don't have enough time left in my life to get to be really good. If I had to wait until then, I'd never have the nice guitars. They sound good and look good, even if I can't play them to their potential.

Gorgeous, HNGD! I must say, when I started playing guitar I found the old Fender designs boring, but these days there's no mojo I love more than those first two decades of singlecoil-loaded goodness

And I don't think anyone could begrudge you your right to treat yourself at 65. It'd be nice if we could all achieve virtuosity, but in practice for the rest of us it's just a lot of fun and that's worth it in itself.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
First of all, congrats on the Strat!

Second:
Friends ask why I spend so much on guitars when I just started playing, and my answer is simple. I'm 65. The dexterity in my fingers is going. I don't have enough time left in my life to get to be really good. If I had to wait until then, I'd never have the nice guitars. They sound good and look good, even if I can't play them to their potential.

I once heard a pro at a guitar show giving a talk. He asked the audience who wanted to play as well as he did. Many hands went up.

He then delivered a reality check, saying that unless they practiced like he did- many times a day, 7 days a week, year round, they'd never be as good as him. Not even close.

The gasps were audible.

His point was that it is OK to have dreams, but if you aren't going to put in the hard work, you need to have realistic goals.

And simply playing guitar to enjoy the sound and feel of playing the guitar? Damn it, that's a good enough goal right there!

So, if it makes you happy, rock on with your bad self!

Besides, it's not as if most guitarists- or basketball players or crocheters or painters, etc.- ever live up to anywhere near the potential of their talent or the gear they have.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Beautiful guitar! Congrats and Enjoy!!!!

I'm stricktly a bedroom/headphone rocker at this point in my life (and mostly only on weekends at that), and as dannyalcatraz much more eloquently put it above, as long as you are enjoying yourself and having fun, no matter what your skill level or what anyone else thinks, it's well worth your investment, as there is no price on the feeling you have getting lost in your new musical discoveries.
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Ya man if you can afford it why not buy all the gear you want? Thats like saying dont buy that Corvette you dont race cars for a living! Buy that Camry! Congrats on your new guitar man!!!
Lovely, hopefully you get many years of joy out of that fantastic guitar!
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
awesome

Quote by K33nbl4d3

And I don't think anyone could begrudge you your right to treat yourself at 65. It'd be nice if we could all achieve virtuosity, but in practice for the rest of us it's just a lot of fun and that's worth it in itself.

+1

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I once heard a pro at a guitar show giving a talk. He asked the audience who wanted to play as well as he did. Many hands went up.

He then delivered a reality check, saying that unless they practiced like he did- many times a day, 7 days a week, year round, they'd never be as good as him. Not even close.

The gasps were audible.

His point was that it is OK to have dreams, but if you aren't going to put in the hard work, you need to have realistic goals.

And simply playing guitar to enjoy the sound and feel of playing the guitar? Damn it, that's a good enough goal right there!

So, if it makes you happy, rock on with your bad self!

Besides, it's not as if most guitarists- or basketball players or crocheters or painters, etc.- ever live up to anywhere near the potential of their talent or the gear they have.

Also +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I want. :-)
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Congrats! I find myself liking strats more and more. On your point, keep at it, whether that be buying gear or learning to play, I know I am probably not as good as some of the gear I have would lead me to believe, but like danny said as long as you enjoy the sound and feeling of playing.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
It is all about passion... I have a family too and that's why I decided to change my direction from having a $2,800 Gibson Les Paul to have a $500 Ltd EC-401VF... but come on.. I really can't sleep at night and I decided to save more money to get a decent Gibson Les Paul... maybe not the $2,800 standard model but at least a good Gibson LP Tribute !!

It is all about passion again !
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
Quote by mockbel
It is all about passion... I have a family too and that's why I decided to change my direction from having a $2,800 Gibson Les Paul to have a $500 Ltd EC-401VF... but come on.. I really can't sleep at night and I decided to save more money to get a decent Gibson Les Paul... maybe not the $2,800 standard model but at least a good Gibson LP Tribute !!

It is all about passion again !

The Les Paul 120th Anniversary model I have was $2800 new, but I got it as new for $1900. There's not a mark on it, or the case, and all of the papers are there just as new. There's sometimes good deals to be had. $1900 is still a lot of money to me, but I wouldn't have paid $2800. I got the ES-355 BB King in like-new condition for $2100.

Of course, it helps to be divorced.