HELP!! Wondering if you guys can help me. Just got some new pedals so I'm redoing my rig. This is going to get messy and complicated so I need people who know what they are talking about.

my setup:
I use the effects loop of my peavey amp with delay and chorus FX- ect involved. I also have OD and wah pedals, which go INFRONT of my amp. Pretty basic so far right?. Right, very typical setup. So here is where it gets a little tricky.
The last pedal in my FX loop that has dual outputs, so instead of ONLY gonig back into the RETURN of the fx loop on the peavey, i also send a second signal to a marshall amp which is mic'd offstage for FOH mix. I have it so it sounds identical to my onstage Peavey - which is just basically a personal onstage monitor. (soagain, my marshall is just 'seeing' the signal of my peavey signal chain, before it goes back into the peavey, and just amplifying it for seperate use)

so not too bad yet right?. again, pretty simple.

now i want to change up my rig completely. I have also acquired some new pedals too which i also have to incorporate into this new setup.

PROBLEM:

Instead of my marshall just copying my peavey, and being offstage, I would like to now use my Marshall for clean sounds, and my peavey for distorted sounds.

Sounds easy but its not, here is why. I need my input pedals (dist,od,wah,comp) to go into BOTH AMPS, so whichever amp i have selected is 'seeing' these effects. Secondly, i also need the effects i use in my amps FX LOOP to go to BOTH AMPS fx loops, so again, whichever amp i currently have seelcted, the FX are in that chain. TO do this is i have aquired a behringer AB200. Not sure how to set this all up. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AB200

Second problem, I have also just picked up a boss NS-2. I need to know how to utilize this within the above setup. This pedal has very weird input/output requirements. Any help greatly appreciated thanks!!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/media/boss_ns2.pdf
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
My suggestion: I would use just one amp and use a channel switcher so the amp does both clean and distorted. Use an on-stage floor monitor or an IEM for monitoring.

The NS2 is a noise suppressor. Bring up the threshold until you stop hearing buzz/noise, while keeping your quieter notes still present. It would probably work best at the end of you preamp pedal chain, or at the start of the effects loop chain. Just use the normal input/output.

If you really want to do what you described, it might look something like this:

Guitar > preamp (infront) section > a/b box > amp inputs

Amp effect sends > a/b? box > effects loop section > a/b box > amp effect returns

At least I think that is how it would have to work. You would have to step on all 3 a/b boxes at the same time somehow. I added the ? on the second box because there you would need one where the two inputs are chosen between to go the single output, not the two outputs from the single input. It looks like that Behringer unit can do that but I am not sure. It should work although again it would be easier on you and your FOH and other techs to just use one amp and channel switching. Or even some nicely dialed in distortion boxes on a crisp clean channel. Really if you cannot get good cleans and dirt from a single amp you might want a new amp.

What amps specifically are they?
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 4, 2015,
I'm no expert, but I have the NS-2. This part doesn't sound all that complicated.

Try this - Guitar > NS-2

NS-2 SEND > WAH > Distortion > NS-2 RETURN
(basically, you want the 'noisy' pedals in the FX loop of the NS-2, but not time-based effects like your chorus or delays)

NS-2 OUT > PEAVY IN

Now, here's where it gets tricky. If you want to use the FX loop of the Peavy:

PEAVY FX Out > Delay/Chorus/etc > IN1 on AB200

AB200 Outs to both the FX Return on the Peavy and the Marshall

I think this will give you what you want, with the ability to switch between the 2 amps with the AB200, but from what I can tell from the AB200 manual, you can't have both outs running simultaneously. Is this something you're trying to do?

Edit - You may also want to try going from the NS-2 Out direct into your delay/chorus, then into the AB200. Then just use the AB200 to select which amp you're using. This will negate the FX loop of the Peavy, though...
Last edited by lmychajluk at Dec 4, 2015,
I'm a great believer in Keep It Simple.

How many of the effects in your Peavy loop will you need when using the Marshall or vis versa? If needed can these be duplicated or substituted for something less exotic?

How many of these absolutely must be in the effects loop and could any be moved to the front end before the ABY switch?

How much will a complicated switching system cost and how far short of duplicating the pedals would this put you? Its good to double up when ever possible. There is nothing like a bit of redundancy incase something fails.

To use one set of pedals in two effects loops you would perhaps need ABYs both in front and at the end of the loop pedal chain but run the risk off earth loops and not switching correctly and sending one amps pre to the others power, and running both together might be very dodgy. It's just too complicated and the potential for something going wrong, or being unable to unravel it all if a component fails, is too great.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Dec 5, 2015,
Quote by John Sims
I'm a great believer in Keep It Simple.

To use one set of pedals in two effects loops you would perhaps need ABYs both in front and at the end of the loop pedal chain but run the risk off earth loops and not switching correctly and sending one amps pre to the others power, and running both together might be very dodgy. It's just too complicated and the potential for something going wrong, or being unable to unravel it all if a component fails, is too great.

You now see why I've gone to modelers for this.

You can actually set all of this up in editing software (including dual rigs) *and* you can tweak each individual pedal in each user preset.

For example, I needed a Brian May tone fast, and dialed up these two vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIxJFyLo48E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_VF_Uwo1I

I used pieces from both, but the first one really helped because I've got a Variax guitar, and it was my first time "creating" a new guitar in the Variax editing software.

But in the end, the real positive was that the physical setup (one guitar cable, one footpedal cable) was SO simple.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 5, 2015,
Ah the joys of a cyber version of the real thing ;-)
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by John Sims
Ah the joys of a cyber version of the real thing ;-)

That's what SHE said.

And by the way, there's an APP for that.