Recently bought a 1x15 cab for my Traynor YBA-1. Use it as a guitar amp, but I alternate between guitar and bass in a band.

Just wondering if this speaker/cab would be alright with a bass, as well. I've tried doing research and read once that a bass won't damage it, that it's good for both, but that's all I found. Not a whole lot of information on them. I'm assuming there's no difference between a guitar and bass cabinet itself, it's just the speaker that matters.
have you tried emailing celestion? might be worth a try if you haven't already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got a G15-100, and it's pretty meh for bass. Also not sure about this, but I think any Celestion speaker starting with a "G" is designed for guitar.

Quote by Distophase
I'm assuming there's no difference between a guitar and bass cabinet itself, it's just the speaker that matters.

You can't really consider a speaker without a cab and vice versa, as the behaviour of one depends on the other.
Generally, a system tuned for guitar won't have the low-end required for bass, a few exceptions notwithstanding.
Cabs and their frequency response are a huge huge can of worms though, so I'm not gonna go into that now.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 5, 2015,
The cab is just a re-built 60's closed-back cab, rough shape but it does the job of holding the speaker. Slight rattle from low frequencies but I can fix it.

What I meant really is that they're just the same thing, wired the same way, jack to speaker. No fancy stuff required, just works.

I'll email Celestion and see what they think.
My recollection is that it's essentially a guitar speaker.

I'd assume that it's basically a guitar speaker if it's got four supports between the magnet and the edge of the speaker, like this:

That's not necessarily gospel, by the way, since the old Altec 418 and 421s were capable of handling both and had four supports in the basket.
Quote by Distophase

I'm assuming there's no difference between a guitar and bass cabinet itself, it's just the speaker that matters.

That would be an incorrect assumption.

It's more important that a cabinet be designed specifically for the speaker (in terms of internal size, ports (if any) and strength). Bass moves so much more air in order to be heard at the same volumes as a guitarist playing notes an octave or two higher that it's very possible to blow apart an under-built cabinet.

An open back cabinet is simply not in the cards for bass, and most bass cabinets need to be airtight as well.