this is probably posted alot but i pulled apart my squier strat , painted it then reassemled, put the strings in (i did stretch them out so its not an issue with the strings) tuned the internation and tweaked the truss rod adjustment a bit, but i just cant figure out why the B and high E strings keep detuneing.
Possibly too much lash in the tuning machine gears. Do the tuning machines have any discernible free play between tuning up and tuning down?

The B & E strings could be sticking in the nut, Pop the strings out of the grooves, and scrape some lead from a pencil into the groove. (Use either a single edge razor blade or something like an X-Acto knife for the task.

The best way to set intonation is with a narrow, heavy piece of metal, not your finger. (The contact point with a finger is a bit to soft and wide for dead on accuracy. Also, the job is best done with a honest to gosh strobe tuner, not your basic Snark.

If you stretch strings too much, you'll kill the tone.

If you stretch strings too little, they're bound to sag for a couple of days, even a week or so until they settle in. I'd much rather have them sag for a few days as opposed to having them dead as door nails from the jump.

Does this thing have a whammy bar? They can give tuning problems, which unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with techniques for correcting.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 5, 2015,
Since you mentioned you set up your strat, how did you set the bridge.. Fixed or floating? Fixed (blocking) a bridge is an option if you don't use the trem much and just do bends. I would also suggest putting lube on the saddle and nut area; a good practice in restring is loopin the string upon itself as a lock in the tuner post (not certain actual term it is called, but it helps prevent slippage of string) I do it in all strings (actually low E and A are wider and may not need it). Check action and stretch strings a bit but now too much, you don't want dead strings. Some people are more adept at tuning by ear, but I prefer using an electronic tuner; like TC Electronic Polytune 2 (pedal) or clip-on, Intellitouch PT10 tuner, Snark tuner. Intonation can be adjusted at the bridge saddle (if you look at the saddles they are not supposed to be straight (like zig zag) compensated however you want to call it.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 5, 2015,
a lot of good points already suggested but the stewmac guy dan erlawine (probably butchered his last name he's a really highly respected guitar repair person , he said 90% of issues when it comes to tuning is from poorly cut nuts or from the bridge saddles.

a new nut like a graphtech tusq nut helps , lubricating the saddles sounds silly but helps, a mixture of vasilene and graphite from pencils or something along those lines I heard guys mentioning. I'm a fan of higher end tuners too as I didn't care for the squier ones ever.

if it's a vintage style strat - the annoying "vintage style" you'd want , grover to schaller , they are roughly 9.14mm , you know you need vintage tuners if there is no bushing and nut.

if it's a more more modernized strat - really anything , as long as it has a 10mm hole clearance through the headstock and the holes in the back line up. grover, gotoh, schaller, sperzel or that brand im not measuring, they dont have to be locking either.
Tallwood13 is right as always.. Graphtech TUSQ XL is a favorite man made nut.

Yeah, Dan Erlewine has very good tips on setting up guitars both electric and acoustic, just buy his books - http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dan+erlewine&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=19724634381&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9740179564958096538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_94ka89a28b_b
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 5, 2015,