So while re-finishing my guitar, my stupid ass used steel wool in some of the process. Silly me thought that blowing on the pickups and electronics and going over with a rag would make them ok. Now I'm not getting an output signal at all. Dead. I'm pissed because I just put bourns pots in this damn thing.
Last edited by Freddude30 at Dec 5, 2015,
Call Peter Dinklage. (Get it? Short?)

You have just become a cautionary tale to others regarding why NOT to use steel wool.

Were you refinishing the guitar with all the hardware in place? That would be the second cautionary tale to others.

So it's time to take a can of compressed air (the one with the little skinny straw) and a good light, and go hunting. If you've got a cheap multimeter ($10 at Sears or Walmart), check the leads on your pickups and see what your resistance reads. Blow out the pickups (gently) with compressed air rather than simply blowing at it. Find the short with the multimeter (you might also have an open caused by handling during the refinishing process, or a bad soldering job).
Quote by dspellman
Call Peter Dinklage. (Get it? Short?)

You have just become a cautionary tale to others regarding why NOT to use steel wool.

You could repost this thread every halloween to spook people out AND teach a valuable lesson. Best goosebumps episode in a thread EVER.

In all seriousness though, dspellman's got the right advice. Did you just have steel wool around and it seemed convenient at the time or something like that ?