So I've been religiously playing guitar for slightly upwards of a year now. I've also been taking guitar lessons for 2-3 months. I know a decent amount of theory for how long I've been playing and I have several riffs and "songs" on both guitar and with lyrics, but I can't ever seem to find two that go together. I have about 15-20 full songs worth of lyrics and around 10 full solid guitar song/riffs, but I'm kinda stuck now, can anyone offer any ideas or tips?
I've been in the same boat as you before. Simply speaking, all you need to do is keep playing and you will eventually find what fits. Some words aren't meant to be paired with some guitar parts and vice-versa.

What is important, though, is to create a melody (a tune) using your lyrics because once you do that, and once you've been playing guitar and have become experienced enough with music, in general, then you will understand and be able to "hear" what music you want behind your lyrics/melody, as well as what melody you want on top of your guitar parts (at which point you can write lyrics using said melody).

Also, if you aren't already, start trying to sing (or at least hum) your lyrics so that you know how they sound and can decide what is missing - and thus what your music to sound like. Also, something that helps me a lot is to fiddle around on the guitar, fingerpicking what end up being melodies and base notes (if you've ever heard a song where the guitar part is mimicking the melody of the vocals, while holding/playing bass notes (5th and 6th string notes), this is what I mean)

Ultimately, though; you just want to keep playing and you will be able to match the two effortlessly. Some songs will appear as a guitar riff one day, a chord progression a month later, and lyrics a year after that, and you will find that they all fit together perfectly.

I have been playing guitar for nearly five years now and just wrote my first full "song" (lyrics, melody, chord progression) within the past year. I had many things written before that but nothing ever seemed to fit, as you say is the case for you. Some of those guitar parts came together perfectly with lyrics I had written months or even years later, so just keep going! Focus still, though on writing and guitar playing so that you become better at each, independently, so that when they do come together, finally, to form a song, both component parts will come together to form an even greater whole.
Weast? What kind of compass are you reading lad?
Quote by Jaywalk777
I've been in the same boat as you before. Simply speaking, all you need to do is keep playing and you will eventually find what fits. Some words aren't meant to be paired with some guitar parts and vice-versa.

What is important, though, is to create a melody (a tune) using your lyrics because once you do that, and once you've been playing guitar and have become experienced enough with music, in general, then you will understand and be able to "hear" what music you want behind your lyrics/melody, as well as what melody you want on top of your guitar parts (at which point you can write lyrics using said melody).

Also, if you aren't already, start trying to sing (or at least hum) your lyrics so that you know how they sound and can decide what is missing - and thus what your music to sound like. Also, something that helps me a lot is to fiddle around on the guitar, fingerpicking what end up being melodies and base notes (if you've ever heard a song where the guitar part is mimicking the melody of the vocals, while holding/playing bass notes (5th and 6th string notes), this is what I mean)

Ultimately, though; you just want to keep playing and you will be able to match the two effortlessly. Some songs will appear as a guitar riff one day, a chord progression a month later, and lyrics a year after that, and you will find that they all fit together perfectly.

I have been playing guitar for nearly five years now and just wrote my first full "song" (lyrics, melody, chord progression) within the past year. I had many things written before that but nothing ever seemed to fit, as you say is the case for you. Some of those guitar parts came together perfectly with lyrics I had written months or even years later, so just keep going! Focus still, though on writing and guitar playing so that you become better at each, independently, so that when they do come together, finally, to form a song, both component parts will come together to form an even greater whole.

Thank you very much for your help!