So I tried loosening the two big scews in the under cavity of my Dean ML to drop tune the floyd. I Kept loosening it and I guess I was pushing the screwdriver in too much and I ended up carving out the entire screw so the inside of the screw is just a circle and it won't turn anymore. The other one is very close to having the same fate. Now I can't level the floyd with the body because the screws cannot move anymore! Guess I'll have to completely remove the Floyd and replace those damn essential screws. But does anyone know a way to level the Floyd with the body WITHOUT loosening the Floyd itself? Does anyone even have this problem? Need help asap.
Set the floyd so that it dives only by blocking it.

Other than that, no. You should've used the correctly sized phillips driver and kept the screwdriver perfectly straight as you're adjusting the screw.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2015,
i second T00DEEPBLUE, observation on using appropriate sized screw driver head.. if you use incorrect sized screw driver head, you end up with stripped trem claw screws (which is where you are at). Since you already stripped them, might at well change strings and replace the stripped trem claw screws. drop tuning with Floyd rose isn't what i would recommend, since it is floating trem system, it requires more adjustment. have two guitars, one in normal tuning, one set to drop tuning.. done.

there are many options to remove the stripped screws. search in youtube for suggestions. i bought Speed Out - http://www.amazon.com/SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor-Bolt/dp/B00IRL3WP4
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by Awesome9000
So I tried loosening the two big scews in the under cavity of my Dean ML to drop tune the floyd. I Kept loosening it and I guess I was pushing the screwdriver in too much and I ended up carving out the entire screw so the inside of the screw is just a circle and it won't turn anymore. The other one is very close to having the same fate. Now I can't level the floyd with the body because the screws cannot move anymore! Guess I'll have to completely remove the Floyd and replace those damn essential screws. But does anyone know a way to level the Floyd with the body WITHOUT loosening the Floyd itself? Does anyone even have this problem? Need help asap.

Before you begin again, you want to do two things:

Understand how a Floyd works and

Understand how basic tools like screwdrivers work.

You don't drop tune a Floyd and certainly not by unscrewing (or tightening) the claw. And you've just discovered why working with alternate tunings generally doesn't work very well with a Floyd -- with ONE exception. I'll let you know now that a Variax JTV89F works just peachy with drop tunings. But if you're working on changing tunings by changing string tension, you should get some more basic information from the folks here.

There's nothing fancy about the screws on the Floyd claw; they're just wood screws. Most have a Phillips head, and you'd be well off to find a Phillips head screwdriver that fits the screw accurately. That will save you stripping out the heads. You should be able to replace the screws for under a buck. While you're at the hardware store, however, pick up the correct size screwdriver (there are different sizes of the Phillips screwdriver, with the basic sizes from 0 to 3).

dspellman, that is very interesting.. hope the OP appreciates your guide.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Everything you said is very true. I will take it all into consideration, same goes to everyone else that replied. Thanks

Also yes I should have figured out more about floyds before messing around with it. This is my first guitar with a floyd and i just thought it worked like a tune-o-matic bridge or standard fender strat trem, but nope. Oh well you learn from mistakes i guess
Last edited by Awesome9000 at Dec 21, 2015,
the two screws inside the spring cavity are like tuners , if you loosen the springs you get lower tunings , if you tighten them you get higher tunings. I've been doing stuff all day so I forget how this works with say heavier or lighter string gauges ... it MAY BE but don't quote me.

lighter string gauges - higher tension which makes a lot of sense
heavier string gauges - lower tension

with a floyd rose it's all about balance, a balance between the tuners area and the body, tuning a floyd rose is a bit of a mystery at first and I seriously need to start getting into youtube videos but idealistically you want the floyd rose baseplate to be flush (flat) , if it isn't it causes tuning stability issues.

before you get started make sure on the floyd rose all 6 string locks are tightened as much as possible with the long side of the allen key , then use the short side for the last quarter turn, this makes sure even dimebag style dive bombs you're not going to get strings to fly out of the saddles.

so before adjusting the two screws measure here to here and as long as you use the right screw drivers like dspellman said you'll be fine, if the bridge is flush (Flat) you should have no issues.

my final tip write down stuff , a Floyd rose D-tuna (go to a dropped tuning in seconds), a floyd upgrades brass big block (more tone/sustain) and a capo really come in handy, of course the capo is for higher tunings but if its one of the only guitars you got with a floyd rose on it, it might be useful who knows.

this is where you measure
Quote by Tallwood13
lighter string gauges - higher tension which makes a lot of sense
heavier string gauges - lower tension

Other way round. A heavier string has a greater inertial mass so the tension needs to be higher to bring it back towards the centre at the same frequency.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one