Dear, DR strings, I have no doubt your strings are of the utmost quality. With that being said...

YOU HAVE CAUSED SO MUCH PAIN

Let me fill you guys in, so DR has some nice strings. But the packaging is absolutely attrocious. You see, once you open the box the strings are packaged in 3 separate bags. Okay.

...but they pair them like this:

1st & 4th
2nd & 5th
3rd & 6th

Wonderful. Thank you for already making no sense. Why would you package those strings together? Why not 5&6, or 1&2? Now when I open the first pack to get my 6th string I see you have interweaved it with the 3rd string. Wonderful. I attempt to free string 6 from the nice wrap but it ends up unlooping both. Great. I place my 3rd string on the table, which is no longer in a nice and neat loop but rather just flat out straight. I string the 6th string.

Next is the 5th, I open the package, and this time try very carefully to free string 5 without unlooping string 2. No luck. I place string 2, now also unlooped on the table with string 3.

Now on the the next pack, I open it and try once more to take out just one string, as my table is getting messy from all these strings along with all my other gear, winders, toolbox, hex keys, etc.

No luck. -_- now both are unlooped and now I have even more extra strings to flap around loose and get tangled with things.

Okay, well now there are no more packages to open, time to reach to my table and put on string 3.

Done, now 2.

Cool. Now for... Oh wait. What. WHY IS STRING 1 IN THE B SLOT.

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. Basically, they package the strings together in such a way that when you take out one, you also have to take out the other. Instead of being in a tightly wound circle, each 2 in a pack are rolled together in a tight wind, meaning in order you get the one out, the other must also unwind. This means by the time you get done with the lower strings you are forced to have a bunch of completely unmarked thin strings laying around all over the place, which more often than not leads to me accidentally choosing the wrong string, as when unmarked, High E and B for example can look awfully similar.

It just makes no sense, why do they do this lol
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Dec 6, 2015,
Seems to be user error to me.

They probably package them that way so people don't mix up the strings as easy. It is harder to mix up the 1 and 4 string than it is the 1 and 2. after you have been playing a while it is easy to distinguish them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the ball end usually are different color (Silver = 1E / Purple = 2B / Green = 3G / Black = 4D / Red = 5A / Brass = 6E), at least with the D Addario and EB slinky.. I have some DR's but haven't used them.. prefer EB.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Their brand, their way of packaging.
Also, when you open 1 and 4, just put on those two first. Then the next one and so on.. Don't open all if you mix them up.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
ahh I did that before, I got a few free sets from them and I never used their brand before so I just rushed to put them on and well yeah.

Just take your time really.

I prefer when its 1 and 6
2 and 5
3 and 4
Quote by Robbgnarly
They probably package them that way so people don't mix up the strings as easy. It is harder to mix up the 1 and 4 string than it is the 1 and 2. after you have been playing a while it is easy to distinguish them.

This.

And who says you have to replace them in order from thickest to thinnest, anyway? Just because they are arranged that way on the guitar, doesn't mean you have to attach them in that order chronologically as well...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Why wouldn't you simply remove all strings first and then place them back on the guitar in the order of the packaging? Despite the common internet myth it does absolutely no damage to remote all the strings at the same time. It's also quicker.
ahh I did that before, I got a few free sets from them and I never used their brand before so I just rushed to put them on and well yeah.

Just take your time really.

I prefer when its 1 and 6
2 and 5
3 and 4
Yeah I just replace them as they are packaged. If one and four are together, just put those on first. Seems pretty easy solution to what you've described as a very frustrating problem?

I used to wonder why they did that as well, the thought came to me that if you ARE changing all the strings at once with no strings on your guitar, putting two strings across the neck together ensures that tension is distributed more evenly across the width of the neck, which may help prevent twisting? Probably not necessary, but it was a thought.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
It's just so that you can tell them apart more easily. The difference between 1 and 4 is far easier to distinguish than 1 and 2.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Agree with everybody here, I've used DR's for years and when they switched to that method of packaging, it confused me for about 5 minutes. The logic quickly revealed itself as has been mentioned several times already = packing 6 and 5 together could be confusing as to which is which, depending on the gauge. And DR does NOT use colored ball ends (something I quite prefer, actually...hate "rainbow" bridge look), so you'd be left guessing, or using a caliper, most people don't have one lying around. More experience, or keener eyes could solve the issue, but it's easier to just not have to worry.

The solution is simple as posed already here, I'm just backing it up! :

String the guitar in the order they're packaged, I usually do thick to thin, so it'd be 6+3, then 5+2, and 4+1 last, the order has, as noted, no effect on the guitar. Voila, life goes on!
The solution to your problem is simple:

Buy D'Addario strings.

I do 6-1-5-2-4-3, no problems. Ever.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
why wouldn't you just put them on in the order they are packaged.

seems like the WORST USER EVER.

seriously do you even restring bro.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Knight Elijah

...but They Pair Them Like This:

1st & 4th
2nd & 5th
3rd & 6th

It Just Makes No Sense, Why Do They Do This Lol
I Think It Makes Perfect Sense.

But Its Not:
1st & 4th
2nd & 5th
3rd & 6th

Its:
4th & 1st
5th & 2nd
6th & 3rd

4(th) - 1(st) = 3
5(th) - 2(nd) = 3
6(th) - 3(rd) = 3
333 Is Half Of 666. Son Of The Devil? (Or Maybe The Nephew? Or Cousin? Or Father's Brother's Nephew's Cousin's Former Roommate?).

I Think You May Have Just Exposed An Illuminati Connection.
You Better Hide Your Family.

Or:
1 + 4 = 5
2 + 5 = 7
3 + 6 = 9
All Odd Numbers.

Quote by icronic
Why Wouldn't You Simply Remove All Strings First And Then Place Them Back On The Guitar In The Order Of The Packaging? Despite The Common Internet Myth It Does Absolutely No Damage To Remote All The Strings At The Same Time. It's Also Quicker.

One "Myth" I Read Was Not To Do One String At A Time If You Have A Floating Tremolo.
Something To Do With Not Having To Hassle With The Tremolo Adjustment Screw.
I Don't Know How Valid That "Myth" Is, But That's The Way I Have ALWAYS Changed The Strings On My Ibanez S570DXQM And I have Never Had Any Problems With That Guitar Before.
1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4
OR
6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 6, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
-snip-

I was incredibly confused (and mildly queasy) at why you were typing like that for a moment

But yeah, it's like with Stratocaster volume knobs, I haven't the faintest idea why people get worked up about these non-issues and expect the rest of us to empathise.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
All the strings I use have individual envelopes for each string. Maybe they're trying to save money?

BTW, I've gotten used to putting all the strings into the Floyd saddles at once. Double stick tape holds my little "blocks" where they belong and I can clean out all the cavities if I want to pull the Floyd altogether. You know, stems, seeds, used condoms, Cinnabon crumbs, random DNA...

It seems to help me to string everything up very quickly, and I feel much more efficient.
its commonly believed that when changing strings, you stagger them so there is even pull on the neck. its like changing a car tire lug nuts and going in a criss cross pattern. does it need to be done? no. but its best practice.

having all the strings off your guitar (also not a best practice) can put wierd tension on the teck since the truss has no counter force.

conversely, if you were to loosen all your strings and then go from left you right, if you put 5-6 on only, thats a weird, one sided tension. rather than going 2-4,6-3, etc. it evens out teh tension a bit when you are taking on and off the strings.

but yeah mostly, probably so people dont mix up teh strings, even though many companies color code the ball ends.

sometimes in a rush, ive just loosened all the strings, and cut them all off at once, and then started stringing up fast. in that scenario it helps me not confuse strings and even out the tension like i described.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I came here to see what all the fuss was about as I use nothing but DR strings. I honestly can't even believe there is a conversation regarding this. I actually like the way they package their stings. I found it to be a clever way of keeping track of your stings.
Quote by ikey_
its commonly believed that when changing strings, you stagger them so there is even pull on the neck. its like changing a car tire lug nuts and going in a criss cross pattern. does it need to be done? no. but its best practice.

having all the strings off your guitar (also not a best practice) can put wierd tension on the teck since the truss has no counter force.

conversely, if you were to loosen all your strings and then go from left you right, if you put 5-6 on only, thats a weird, one sided tension. rather than going 2-4,6-3, etc. it evens out teh tension a bit when you are taking on and off the strings.

But if I break a string and don't remove them all and put them back on in right order it could be chaos for my guitar, or worse still I may change my guitar and leave the broken string one untouched for a day or so until I get strings...and then there could be like a granny knot in the middle of my neck because of all the uneven tension and stuff....OMG I may never sleep again... lol. Sorry but this thread is bollocks.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
thats pretty common stuff. have you ever heard its generally "not good" to take all your strings off? is it BAD? not really, but the truss starts pulling on that neck hard....

same reason why if you break a string all the rest go out of tune. less counter force.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
thats pretty common stuff. have you ever heard its generally "not good" to take all your strings off? is it BAD? not really, but the truss starts pulling on that neck hard....

same reason why if you break a string all the rest go out of tune. less counter force.

I miss-typed a line here:
One "Myth" I Read Was Not To Do One String At A Time If You Have A Floating Tremolo....

I had heard it was a bad idea with floating tremolo's to take off all the strings at once.
Might have been Jemsite or something but I likely read it at more than one place as a rarely take new information to heart from a single source unless I am familiar with the source
It was said it was best to change the strings one at a time on a floating tremolo system.
Something about not then later having to hassle with keeping proper tension on the tremolo strings and adjustment.
Or something like that. I don't recall all the reasons, but they seemed logical at the time.
Anyway, since I read that, I change the strings on my floating tremolo guitars one at a time and have never had any problems.
That method has worked for me so I see no reason to change the way I do it.
Just imagine how many of these threads there'd be if they packaged the skinny E with the B, lol.

I wonder if color-blind folks struggle with d'adario.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Someone needs a snickers....
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
i'm still outraged.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've been experimenting with other brands lately (long time D'Addario user) and noticed a few other brands that were like that. It didn't bother me at, actually if it wasn't this thread I don't think I would've even remembered.
I usually go from the middle 3&4 and then fan out, 5&2, 6&1. I always unpack all of the strings in one sweep so it doesn't really matter to me.