Hi,

maybe some of you can help me!

I'm looking fo a electric guitar in the range of 200€-500€ where I can play as many Styles as possible, but especially Funk, Psychedelic Rock, Stoner Rock or (Post) Punk.

As an example of desired sounds: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Kyuss, Witch, Arctic Monkeys, The Last Shadow Puppets, Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, Bad Religion

Also - any idea on a specific effect pedal or any other cool accessories which could help me get this style of music?

Thanks for your Help!

Edit:

I have a pretty standard amp which came with my first guitar (eleca eg-10j). Obviously, buying an amp/pedals and stuff is not included in the 200-500€ range and will be done seperately.
My maximum for a guitar would be 600€ I think - altough I would like to stay at around 400€ (but thats just unrealistic, isn't it?). I don't know how much a good amp costs so that is open to question.
I live in Austria (Europe), I am right-handed, have no preference concerning brand, body and stuff - a "normal" looking guitar with 14-22 frets is cool with me. And I dont care if it is used or new - as long the guitar is working

Priority:
1. Guitar (my current random noname e-guitar is giving up and "falling apart")
2. Amp
3. Other Stuff
Last edited by peter.kopciak at Dec 7, 2015,
What amp do you have?

The G&L ASAT Deluxe carvedtop is pretty sweet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think an HSS Strat could serve you well for this; there are a few such MIM Fender models which should be affordable to you used if not necessarily new. Fender is generally pretty reliable quality-wise and the the single coil tones should cover your funk, the humbucker the gainier stuff. G&L is a rec worth checking out too.

For funk (at least RHCP) and psychedelic rock you couldn't go wrong by getting yourself a decent fuzz if you don't have one already. Big Muffs are cheap and, with a neck singlecoil, should get your more recent Frusciante solo tones pretty kosher. You could get some use out of it for QotSA as well, and while I don't know the other bands too well, I think there's probably another couple that have used the odd fuzz. If Witch is the band I think it is, with J Mascis, there's probably fuzz involved even if it is the band I think it is in which he plays drums.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Covering that much tonal territory with one guitar, one amp and some pedals isn't impossible...but it's really tough to do on a budget. Mainly because your amp is going to be the main determinant in your tone.

The bands you cite play tunes featuring a wide variety of tones- from sparkly, chiming clean tones to super fuzzy walls of sound. There aren't many inexpensive amps that can deliver both with ease.

All that said, I'd look for guitars configured with 2 splittable humbuckers, HSS, HS, H/P90 or 2-3 P90 pickups.

For the heavier stuff, some kind of distortion or fuzz would be in order.

Psychedelic stuff often uses fuzz, but effects like flangers, phasers, reverbs, tremolos and rotary pedals would be more important.

Both Punk and Funk get a lot of milage out of simple signal chains, and many players don't use effects at all. Some Punk players will use an OD or distortion. Meanwhile, Wahs, envelope filters, flangers and phasers all have their adherents in Funk.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 6, 2015,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 6, 2015,

Hi,
thanks for the answers, guitar suggestions and the links. I'm checking these and it will be probably one of these guitars.

I also edited my starting Post to incorporate answers to the link referred by T00DEEPBLUE.
On another Note: I think my amp is shi*** noname stuff (eleca eg-10j) and I was not aware that an amp is also important. Can you recommend me one? As I don't know how much money a good amp costs, i would say, as low as possible?
Guitar... around 400-600
Amp... around 100-200?
Last edited by peter.kopciak at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by peter.kopciak
Hi,
thanks for the answers, guitar suggestions and the links. I'm checking these and it will be probably one of these guitars.

I also edited my starting Post to incorporate answers to the link referred by T00DEEPBLUE.
On another Note: I think my amp is shi*** noname stuff (eleca eg-10j) and I was not aware that an amp is also important. Can you recommend me one? As I don't know how much money a good amp costs, i would say, as low as possible?
Guitar 400-600
Amp... 100-200?

To be perfectly honest with you, the amp matters more than the guitar and if you have a small practice amp like that you would have a way bigger improvement in sound by upgrading the amp compared to buying another guitar.

I would honestly swap that budget around:

Guitar 100-200
amp 400-600
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To be perfectly honest with you, the amp matters more than the guitar and if you have a small practice amp like that you would have a way bigger improvement in sound by upgrading the amp compared to buying another guitar.

I would honestly swap that budget around:

Guitar 100-200
amp 400-600

Wow, I did not know that an amp is so imporant. But still, i need a guitar because my guitar (noname something) is "falling apart" and giving up on me.

Any recommendations for an amp?

For the guitar I will visit my local guitar shop. I've looked trough the links and won't forget them, but I will also have a look a my guitar dealer
I've been checking their guitars in the online store and there are plenty of guitar at 200 - 450€ with HSS and some with H/P-90.

If I pick up a H/P-90, won't I miss the single coil sound?
Quote by peter.kopciak
Wow, I did not know that an amp is so imporant. But still, i need a guitar because my guitar (noname something) is "falling apart" and giving up on me.

Any recommendations for an amp?

For the guitar I will visit my local guitar shop. I've looked trough the links and won't forget them, but I will also have a look a my guitar dealer
I've been checking their guitars in the online store and there are plenty of guitar at 200 - 450€ with HSS and some with H/P-90.

If I pick up a H/P-90, won't I miss the single coil sound?

I'm not from Europe so I probably can't really suggest very much for you. You seem to play quite a few different types of music so maybe something like this could work for you:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_bundle.htm?ref=prod_rel_267059_0&sid=ad62c3833b3fc4bc4cf9aa9ae4bffac8

It does the higher gain stuff and then cleans up relatively well enough to do the hard rock stuff and cleaner stuff like RHCP. I'm sure more people will pop in and give you suggestions for amps that you can pick up easily in Europe.

As for missing the single coil sound, if you really enjoy it then a humbucker or a P-90 won't really get you in the ballpark range as they sound pretty different. You might be able to get a similar sound with humbuckers via a technique called "coil splitting" but it still won't sound quite as good as a genuine Fender SC pickup.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Using your guitar's controls, P90s can be dialed-in to deliver a more traditional singlecoil sound, but they're still going to be beefier. Charlie Christians are even closer.