Page 1 of 2
I'm really keen on getting Orange amp, I play a lot of Sabbath, Mastodon, Yngwie, and Sludgey Stoner type of stuff. Which Orange is best suited for these types of music. Upper limit for my budget is $1000 that's the most I can put into an amp right now. This pertains only to Orange products, what would you choose and why.
On a $1000 budget? Tiny Terror. Or a used TH30.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by anthonymarisc
I'm really keen on getting Orange amp, I play a lot of Sabbath, Mastodon, Yngwie, and Sludgey Stoner type of stuff. Which Orange is best suited for these types of music. Upper limit for my budget is $1000 that's the most I can put into an amp right now. This pertains only to Orange products, what would you choose and why.

Do you have a cab?Or is that needed in your budget too?
Used is best bet. I would say Dual Terror, used TH30 (although when I had mine it didn't quite nail the mastodon tone, they play rockerverbs IIRC).

Why Orange though? Granted, I love Orange amps, but just curious.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I would scrap Orange and buy a small Mesa Boogie Combo - it'll be much more versatile. Check the new Rectoverb 25 (1x12) or the Express - which you could find used. They have excellent reverb.

The tiny terror is probably the only Orange in your budget, they sound ok distorted but it's a one-trick pony and you have no effects loop, so forget about using a reverb pedal or any delays or modulation. Any amp without built in reverb and without an effects loop is really a terrible amp unless all you plan to use it for is recording. If you run reverb or delay pedals in front of a very distorted amp, it will sound terrible - they need to go through an effects loop when using amp distortion.

You're probably fixated on the "look" of the Orange amps - that's all well and good, but unless you extend your budget significantly ( to get an Orange model with reverb and an effects loop) you're not going to be happy with your amp later on.
Quote by reverb66
I would scrap Orange and buy a small Mesa Boogie Combo - it'll be much more versatile. Check the new Rectoverb 25 (1x12) or the Express - which you could find used. They have excellent reverb.

The tiny terror is probably the only Orange in your budget, they sound ok distorted but it's a one-trick pony and you have no effects loop, so forget about using a reverb pedal or any delays or modulation. Any amp without built in reverb and without an effects loop is really a terrible amp unless all you plan to use it for is recording. If you run reverb or delay pedals in front of a very distorted amp, it will sound terrible - they need to go through an effects loop when using amp distortion.

You're probably fixated on the "look" of the Orange amps - that's all well and good, but unless you extend your budget significantly ( to get an Orange model with reverb and an effects loop) you're not going to be happy with your amp later on.

Yeah, those old Plexis were so terrible

I do agree that you are limited by the Tiny Terror, but a lot of this is just bullshit. There are lots of great amps without reverb or an effects loop, many of them considered classic and highly sought after.

Reverbs and delays also don't necessarily sound terrible in front of the amp. Maybe not ideal, but it can work. Making sweeping generalizations about things based off of opinion is not very helpful to anyone.

TS, are you willing to go used? If so, the TH30 would probably be a good bet. There is also the OR15, but that may not be voiced heavy enough for you. Orange are definitely a bit pricey, but if you go used you can find some decent deals on their higher-end products.

Another option is maybe a nice Marshall-style amp and maybe a fuzz or overdrive pedal to give you the extra oomph. I like running my SL-X slightly dirty and then hitting it with my Fuzz Factory to push it into some very sludgy, heavy territory.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah, those old Plexis were so terrible

I do agree that you are limited by the Tiny Terror, but a lot of this is just bullshit. There are lots of great amps without reverb or an effects loop, many of them considered classic and highly sought after.

He's looking for high gain tones - those are the ones that cause problems with reverbs and delays - which is why effects loops were invented in the first place - it's basically the sole purpose of their existence. A vintage Plexi doesn't fall in the category of high gain - cleaner rock amps like Fenders and vintage Marshalls sound fine with effects in front of the amp because their gain tones are very subdued in comparison to modern gain tones.

Go test it out for yourself. Stick a reverb or a delay pedal in front of a high gain amp channel and then come back here and tell the OP how great that sounds.
Quote by reverb66
He's looking for high gain tones - those are the ones that cause problems with reverbs and delays - which is why effects loops were invented in the first place - it's basically the sole purpose of their existence. A vintage Plexi doesn't fall in the category of high gain - cleaner rock amps like Fenders and vintage Marshalls sound fine with effects in front of the amp because their gain tones are very subdued in comparison to modern gain tones.

Go test it out for yourself. Stick a reverb or a delay pedal in front of a high gain amp channel and then come back here and tell the OP how great that sounds.

TBH all the stuff ts wants to play IMO is mid gain. Sabbath and stoner/sludgy stuff doesn't require a 6505.

OP: look at a MEsa 50 cal. I know it ain't an Orange but it should do the job.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I get your point. I understand what you are trying to say. You did NOT, however, say that. You implied that amps without effects loops or built-in reverb were lousy and good for nothing. That's not the case. If you meant specifically for high gain applications, then you should have specified that.

While I agree that you want an effects for your time-based effects, implying that any amp that doesn't have one is not going to work at all for high gain is wrong. Hell, for the last album IIRC Mastodon used Plexis for at least some of the sounds, so they can't be all that bad for that type of thing.

I don't really want to have a whole thing out here, and I don't think that the heart of your point is wrong really, but I think that the language you used may not exactly reflect what you were actually trying to say.

My point being, until the TS knows he needs on-board reverb or an effects loop, we shouldn't steer him away from an amp that may be a good choice otherwise, rather we should inform him of the downsides without using generalizations.
Quote by anthonymarisc

First, let me tell you that you are an idiot for choosing an amp based on brand alone. You are the worst. If you find this insulting, rest assured it was intended. Yes, this was necessary.

Imo Orange amps aren't terribly good value for money nowadays, except curiously for their higher-end offerings, notably the Rockerverb. Imo the Tiny Terror and TH are too expensive for what they are. Not necessarily bad, just too expensive.

With that said, the Tiny Terror is within budget and makes the most sense to me considering the styles of music you listed. Dunno if the combo is still available somewhere, get that if possible. Otherwise the head and a nice 1x12" cab. Better to get a good used cab than a cheap and crappy new one, if your budget forces you to make that choice.
The OR15 is imo a much better sounding amp, but probably out of budget.

Also the H&K Tubemeister and Egnater Tweaker are twice the amps that the Tiny Terror is at the same price or less, but they don't come in the desired colour.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by dementiacaptain
I get your point. I understand what you are trying to say. You did NOT, however, say that. You implied that amps without effects loops or built-in reverb were lousy and good for nothing. That's not the case. If you meant specifically for high gain applications, then you should have specified that.

While I agree that you want an effects for your time-based effects, implying that any amp that doesn't have one is not going to work at all for high gain is wrong. Hell, for the last album IIRC Mastodon used Plexis for at least some of the sounds, so they can't be all that bad for that type of thing.

I don't really want to have a whole thing out here, and I don't think that the heart of your point is wrong really, but I think that the language you used may not exactly reflect what you were actually trying to say.

My point being, until the TS knows he needs on-board reverb or an effects loop, we shouldn't steer him away from an amp that may be a good choice otherwise, rather we should inform him of the downsides without using generalizations.

Good point - my apologies.
Quote by TheQuailman
....but they don't come in the desired colour.

WELL WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT THEN?!??!!

Man, you need to get your priorities straight.

Both the Egnater and H&K are great options TS, for these I definitely would recommend a boost and possibly a fuzz if you are into that, but I think that everyone needs a good fuzz.

EDIT: ^ All good dude, I wasn't trying to pick a fight, though I admit it may have come off that way and I apologize for that.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by smittyanthrax
Do you have a cab?Or is that needed in your budget too?

I don't possess a cab.
Quote by TheQuailman
First, let me tell you that you are an idiot for choosing an amp based on brand alone. You are the worst. If you find this insulting, rest assured it was intended. Yes, this was necessary.

Imo Orange amps aren't terribly good value for money nowadays, except curiously for their higher-end offerings, notably the Rockerverb. Imo the Tiny Terror and TH are too expensive for what they are. Not necessarily bad, just too expensive.

With that said, the Tiny Terror is within budget and makes the most sense to me considering the styles of music you listed. Dunno if the combo is still available somewhere, get that if possible. Otherwise the head and a nice 1x12" cab. Better to get a good used cab than a cheap and crappy new one, if your budget forces you to make that choice.
The OR15 is imo a much better sounding amp, but probably out of budget.

Also the H&K Tubemeister and Egnater Tweaker are twice the amps that the Tiny Terror is at the same price or less, but they don't come in the desired colour.

I don't know why you're attacking me but firstly, I've never owned an Orange product in my life that's why I'm so fixated on them. Yes they are aesthetically pleasing so what? A lot of my favorite guitarists and bands have had some sort of history with Orange. I read about their history as a company and genuinely think they make good products. Why the Tiny Terror instead of the Dark Terror? I'll check out those suggestions as well.

Everyone here doesn't like anything solid state I'm guessing so I didn't even bother mentioning those. Although there are definitely good solid state amps out there IMHO I've played a few that sounded good to my ears.

Ideally I'd want a Dual Dark or a Thunderverb 50 but those are WAY beyond my budget. I don't even have that much in my bank account right now. I'm a21 year old kid that works part-time in a restaurant. So I'm saving my cash tips to upgrade from my $99 Blackstar.
If so then if I were you I'd check out that Mesa 50 cal I talked about.

For cabs look at the Harley Benton Vintage 2x12 in Europe or Avatar cabs if you're in the states.

Yeah, there are tube snobs here.
Oh, and Iommi played Laney, not Orange. He only played orange once in I believe it was belgium or germany on a gig. Other than that, mostly Laney.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by reverb66

The CR60C has built-in reverb and an effects loop. Retails for $500 but I've already been given advice to steer clear from that amp lmao.
Quote by anthonymarisc
I don't know why you're attacking me

'Cause you're a brand-ho and you've been told as much in your last thread. Since advice didn't seem to stick then, I've now turned to shaming and insults.

but firstly, I've never owned an Orange product in my life [...]
genuinely think they make good products

How can you judge their quality if you have barely any experience with them?
They are good amps, but your methodology is flawed. Many manufacturers make good amps.

Yes they are aesthetically pleasing so what?

Nobody said that was a problem... regarding aesthetics and brand as the major factors for a purchase just isn't terribly wise, particularly not on a tight budget.

A lot of my favorite guitarists and bands have had some sort of history with Orange.

With other brands as well, so what?

Why the Tiny Terror instead of the Dark Terror? I'll check out those suggestions as well.

I think it will work fine for the sounds you want and is cheaper than a Dark Terror.
You might want to consider an OD pedal for boosting for heavier stuff, just get a run-off-the-mill tubescreamer-clone.
If you've heard or tried the DK before and liked it better, that's fine too.

Everyone here doesn't like anything solid state I'm guessing so I didn't even bother mentioning those. Although there are definitely good solid state amps out there IMHO I've played a few that sounded good to my ears.

You can buy whatever you like, but for the sounds you mentioned and the money you got, a tube amp is the way to go in 99% of cases.
Quote by TheQuailman

Probable solid state shenanigans, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Probable solid state shenanigans, though.

Yeah, it's likely a hybrid design. I don't mind long as it sounds good.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, it's likely a hybrid design. I don't mind long as it sounds good.

So is the Micro Terror/Dark lmao
^^ i'm never sure. on the one hand i agree that how it sounds is what matters. on the other I don't like dodgy (IMO) advertising, and also if it has an op-amp at the input a lot of the tricks a lot of players like to use with tube amps (like boosting etc.) might not work as well. if those tricks are an integral part of your playing style, you could end up with something that doesn't work too well (and which is not your own fault as the purchaser) even if it does technically "sound good".

^ the micro ones are but the regular tiny terror (and i assume dark terror too) are genuinely all-tube, at least as far as i'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ i'm never sure. on the one hand i agree that how it sounds is what matters. on the other I don't like dodgy (IMO) advertising, and also if it has an op-amp at the input a lot of the tricks a lot of players like to use with tube amps (like boosting etc.) might not work as well. if those tricks are an integral part of your playing style, you could end up with something that doesn't work too well (and which is not your own fault as the purchaser) even if it does technically "sound good".

Don't care much for the advertising, either.
Dunno if an SS input stage has to be disadvantageous, I guess boosting might still work decently if it has enough headroom (or how it clips if it doesn't). Also depends a lot on the first tube stage right behind it, so it's difficult to assess without a schematic on hand.
Theoretically, you could build an ss input with pretty low input capacitance, so as to get rid of the treble loss when rolling down the guitar's volume. Dunno if it's actually the case in the H&K but it's something where that kind of input would make a lot of sense.

Quote by anthonymarisc
So is the Micro Terror/Dark lmao

Not all hybrids are created equal. The Orange Micros have one tube in the preamp and are otherwise solid-state.
The H&K has double that in the preamp alone and a tube power amp. Completely different design and no comparison soundwise.

A tube power-stage is what seperates the "proper" hybrids from gimmicky transistor amps.
If your budget is $1000, then you may be able to get a second hand TH100 (Bill Kelliher used these a couple of times) or perhaps even a Rockerverb if you're lucky. If you're just going to be playing in the bedroom, then for this budget, you MUST try the OR15. Can get some stupendous sludge doom tones with that at lower volumes.

If you just want to go brand new, then the CR120 is really a great amp. Yes it's SS and is missing some of the warmth, volume and floor-shaking ability of it's valve brethren, but the tone is extremely similar, and they're an absolute steal.
Yeah there was actually a Rockerverb on my craigslist for $1100 the other day. I thought about it for a second but I just don't think that I'd gel with the tone.
Oranges are solid but for a grand you arent going to get a lot. Id say grab youself a laney vh100r or gh100/50 used for like $4-500. Iommis sig amp is basically a vh100 and bill from mastodon used a vh on the blood mountain record. Then get a cab from avatear or seismic.

The mesa 50 cal is another pretty sludgey amp.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by m_wilkie
If your budget is $1000, then you may be able to get a second hand TH100 (Bill Kelliher used these a couple of times) or perhaps even a Rockerverb if you're lucky. If you're just going to be playing in the bedroom, then for this budget, you MUST try the OR15. Can get some stupendous sludge doom tones with that at lower volumes.

If you just want to go brand new, then the CR120 is really a great amp. Yes it's SS and is missing some of the warmth, volume and floor-shaking ability of it's valve brethren, but the tone is extremely similar, and they're an absolute steal.

I was previously considering the CR60C. As bedroom guitarist do I really need that much headroom? What pedals would you recommend for a solid state amp?
Quote by TheQuailman
(a) Don't care much for the advertising, either.
Dunno if an SS input stage has to be disadvantageous, I guess boosting might still work decently if it has enough headroom (or how it clips if it doesn't). Also depends a lot on the first tube stage right behind it, so it's difficult to assess without a schematic on hand.
Theoretically, you could build an ss input with pretty low input capacitance, so as to get rid of the treble loss when rolling down the guitar's volume. Dunno if it's actually the case in the H&K but it's something where that kind of input would make a lot of sense.

(b) Not all hybrids are created equal. The Orange Micros have one tube in the preamp and are otherwise solid-state.
The H&K has double that in the preamp alone and a tube power amp. Completely different design and no comparison soundwise.

A tube power-stage is what seperates the "proper" hybrids from gimmicky transistor amps.

(a) Yeah. I mean, some distortion pedals take a boost pretty well, so it's not absolutely guaranteed that it won't work with a boost (plus I dare say not all tube amps take a boost well either), but it's the kind of thing you'd want to check before buying, and most people probably won't (me included).

(b) Yeah definitely.

I still don't like the advertising, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by anthonymarisc
I was previously considering the CR60C. As bedroom guitarist do I really need that much headroom? What pedals would you recommend for a solid state amp?

IIRC headroom refers to how far you can push a clean channel before it starts to breakup and distort. I do not believe that the CR will do this. It is a solid state amp and behaves differently than a tube amp, which is known for being able to break up/distort when pushed hard enough.

OT: I rarely recommend a SS amp. Generally because I love the sound of tube amps. I have found that SS do not take OD/distortion pedals too well.
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
IIRC headroom refers to how far you can push a clean channel before it starts to breakup and distort. I do not believe that the CR will do this. It is a solid state amp and behaves differently than a tube amp, which is known for being able to break up/distort when pushed hard enough.

OT: I rarely recommend a SS amp. Generally because I love the sound of tube amps. I have found that SS do not take OD/distortion pedals too well.

Wait isn't the CR120H solid state as well? Even the head version?

The CR60C does break-up on it's clean channel. They demo this in the Sweetwater video on Youtube.
i paid $950 for my Rockerverb 50 head. but i will admit i got lucky.

i love my dual terror a lot too. plenty loud, pretty flexible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I try to take demos with a grain of salt. Try and play first hand if you can. Demos are great for getting an idea for how they sound, but there are a lot of variables when viewing a video on an amps sound. I doubt that the CR (solid state) will break up the way that you want it to like a tube amp. As far as I know all of the Crush series (CR) amps are solid state.
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I try to take demos with a grain of salt. Try and play first hand if you can. Demos are great for getting an idea for how they sound, but there are a lot of variables when viewing a video on an amps sound. I doubt that the CR (solid state) will break up the way that you want it to like a tube amp. As far as I know all of the Crush series (CR) amps are solid state.

I have played it IRL. They sound pretty good seriously.
i have too. they seriously do not sound good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The orange Crush series is not that good for the price, a lot of that $$ is from the name alone. It's like the orange equivalent of the Marshall MG
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have too. they seriously do not sound good.

Lol this is pretty much all subjective. What about it doesn't sound good exactly? There a legions of guitarists on youtube and online music store websites saying they sound good.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The orange Crush series is not that good for the price, a lot of that $$ is from the name alone. It's like the orange equivalent of the Marshall MG

The "Crush Pro" series is not the same as the "Crush" series.
I am curious to know how they sound, I am skeptical that it sounds too good, and pretty much certain that it is leaps behind the tube models.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I have a hard time believing they are as good as some of the reviews say. There were tons of great reviews (and even a few convincing demos) of Spider IVs when they were new, and we know how that ended up.
For a few $$$ more, I'd shoot for a Rockerverb 100 MK II. With the new MK III just released, you can expect some really nice used prices. I snagged mine 4.5 years ago for a bit over 1200, minty (almost new in the box with all tags) condition.
Yeah Rockerverbs have been going for silly prices lately.
Quote by anthonymarisc
Lol this is pretty much all subjective. What about it doesn't sound good exactly? There a legions of guitarists on youtube and online music store websites saying they sound good.

if you think it sounds good, buy it.

thats all that matters, right?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Page 1 of 2