So Today I just bought a Marshall tube 40w 1x12 today and love it, I've been playing it on my signature Jim Root Tele and My Les Paul. My Les Paul is by far my most favorite, one for its size and I just love the body style. I love my tele as well, but my epiphone sounds muddy as hell, especially on the low strings. Like a thick bass tone with distortion, so Im guessing its probably the pick ups, since everything on the Les is stock. I thought maybe taking out the EMGs from my fender and putting them into the les paul? Im sorta handy and know how to solder, but I think it could be too risky so How much would it cost to have someone install them and/or just buy new EMGs so I don't have to screw up my Telecaster? What would you do if you were in my position? Thanks!
Last edited by drewisawesome14 at Dec 7, 2015,
EMGs are active pickups, so to install them in a guitar that didn't have active pickups already, you would need to put the battery somewhere. This means routing a big hole in the back of your Epiphone. A luthier would likely charge more than $300 for the work, so you are probably better off getting a whole new guitar.

Although with the right tools and a bit of practice you could do it yourself. I like projects like that so if I were in your position I would do that.
Just stick a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you want an EMG tone in that LP, check out Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers.

Cathbard's suggestion has merit, too- that is a solid combination for hard rock/metal guitars, one that is found in production models from a variety of brands.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
check out Bare Knuckle Pickups. they sound great and as far as i know they are passive.
Quote by drewisawesome14
I'm looking at the Slash Alnico 2 now. But I will also look at the others.

Those pickups are not for metal at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by iamadoorknob
EMGs are active pickups, so to install them in a guitar that didn't have active pickups already, you would need to put the battery somewhere. This means routing a big hole in the back of your Epiphone. A luthier would likely charge more than $300 for the work, so you are probably better off getting a whole new guitar.

Although with the right tools and a bit of practice you could do it yourself. I like projects like that so if I were in your position I would do that.

Im sorry but this isnt right. People install EMGs in LPs all the time and it doesnt cost 300 dollars and no routing is involved cause you already have a cavity in the back that you can fit it in.

It costs about 200 bucks around here to get a Floyd installed and routed provided you already have the trem. How is a little battery compartment going to cost 300 bucks to do?

EMG pickups are not hard to install. In fact, with all the quick connect stuff, its way easier than soldering a set of passives up.

I agree with your last paragraph though. Doing it yourself will save you tons of money in the long run as well (provided you somewhat know what youre doing)
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 7, 2015,
I would recommend the Pegasus/Sentient set, which is amazing for metal, detuned or not. You get amazing tight chunky lows and clear highs.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Robbgnarly
Those pickups are not for metal at all.

Oh I know. I have my fender to play metal with. I went ahead and got those Alnicos and installed them today. Sound great and actually aren't bad at all for metal. Has a mean thrash sound through my marshall. I'm always open to an upgrade so I'll take a look at everything everyone has mentioned.