Hey guys, I've got a little 1 by 12 guitar amp and it has enough space for another speaker in there, I was wondering if if adding another speaker is as simple as soldering another one onto it?
It might be but you might need to buy two speakers in order to obtain the same impedance as the original. If you amp has varying impedance options you could be good to go with a duplicate of the original wired in series or parallel subject to where you have freedom of available settings.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by BrodieBassMan
Hey guys, I've got a little 1 by 12 guitar amp and it has enough space for another speaker in there, I was wondering if if adding another speaker is as simple as soldering another one onto it?
Pretty much, yeah, tho you must either use an output of a different impedance on the amp or substitute the speaker you already have into the amp as well and place there two speaker that give a resulting impedance that's the same as the one of your current speaker.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The reason for this is the impedance changes as you add speakers. What happens depends on how it's wired.

Two 8 ohm speakers wired parallel will result in a 4 ohm total load. Not good for a 8 ohm amp.

Two 8 ohm speakers wired series will result in a 16 ohm load. Not great, but many will tolerate it.

So, if you have a 8 ohm amp (and speaker) now, you need a pair of 4 ohm speakers wired series to get a final 8 ohm load again. Or a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired parallel, again for a total load of 8 ohms.

In series, add the resistance of each. 4 + 4 = 8

In parallel divide the resistance of one by the number of speakers. 16 / 2 = 8
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
All the fine information above aside, what amp is it? Let's begin at the beginning.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Ummm, are you sure? The VX-1 isn't a 1x12.

Perhaps a link to the specs?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Ha! The VX-1 (VXI) is a 1x6.5. Not worth messing with IMO. You would have to greatly modify the cabinet structure even if another speaker would fit. And if it did, the second speaker would probably be smaller than a 6.5.

If you were to have 2 speakers, you would need them to match to 4 ohms and be able to take 15w minimum. Even then you would really need an extension cab and you would have to dig into the amp and open the back to even get to the power amp out and that is not really worth it.

Just get an AC30, it is a 2x12.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 7, 2015,
Haha, thanks anyway guys, I'd love an ac30 but being 16 with no job restricts that somewhat haha, one day though