Hi! Im new to electric guitar. I played acoustic guitars before and I have a question.

My guitar is Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Amp Is Fender 10g. small amp has gain option/bass/treble/volume options

I noticed in some videos on youtube that when you slide your fingers across the frets it makes really loud distortion sounds. but mine doesn't. I tried turning up the gain but same thing. am I missing something? thanks!
Then they are either using their nails or doing something completely different.

Do you have an example you can post of what you are talking about?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Is this the Zakk Wylde technique where he runs his hand across the strings whilst doing saying pull offs on the string...it creates a harmonic squealing sound.

EDIT: Like this guy...

CLICK ME!!
Last edited by T.A.Z at Dec 7, 2015,
All shes doing here is picking a random point on the neck (around the 12th fret usually works) picking the top couple of strings (E&A sometimes you might catch the D as well) and holding down on those strings and simply sliding down the neck to the desired location.

Make sense?
Quote by mdnaq8

Oh, that's a slide as well and he's using a pick, just not for the actual slide.

You want to hit the low E string and a note high up in the neck, and while you're fretting it, just slide down while you're pressing.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by T.A.Z
All shes doing here is picking a random point on the neck (around the 12th fret usually works) picking the top couple of strings (E&A sometimes you might catch the D as well) and holding down on those strings and simply sliding down the neck to the desired location.

Make sense?

i know that but my strings get muted? am i doing something wrong?
2 things are happening if your strings are being muted. Either your pick hand is resting on the strings at the bridge, or your left hand is letting go of the strings as you slide (totally normal as a beginner because you'll not be used to the technique) you need to try and hold the left hand down on the neck and run over every fret. You should ideally be able to feel each bump in your finger as you go over the frets. It can be a little sketchy at first I thought, always thought my finger was gonna get sliced open as I ran down the neck haha

Obviously if it's your pick hand resting on the bridge you just need to keep your pick hand away from the strings till you're ready to play again after the slide
Last edited by T.A.Z at Dec 7, 2015,
Quote by T.A.Z
2 things are happening if your strings are being muted. Either your pick hand is resting on the strings at the bridge, or your left hand is letting go of the strings as you slide (totally normal as a beginner because you'll not be used to the technique) you need to try and hold the left hand down on the neck and run over every fret. You should ideally be able to feel each bump in your finger as you go over the frets. It can be a little sketchy at first I thought, always thought my finger was gonna get sliced open as I ran down the neck haha

Obviously if it's your pick hand resting on the bridge you just need to keep your pick hand away from the strings till you're ready to play again after the slide

ill try that but do I need distortion pedals or any adjustments to make it as loud? as the topic says i only use gain.
Quote by mdnaq8
ill try that but do I need distortion pedals or any adjustments to make it as loud? as the topic says i only use gain.

Not really, more distortion will mean you can hear it easier, but if you doing it right you'll be able to hear it when playing with zero distortion. If you check out a lot of big players most of them will tell you they only use a little bit of gain, not many top players use full blown distortion pedals with gain set to 11 haha I'd work on the technique of holding down on the neck a bit stronger because you should be able to hear it in a clean tone as well.
Quote by T.A.Z
Not really, more distortion will mean you can hear it easier, but if you doing it right you'll be able to hear it when playing with zero distortion. If you check out a lot of big players most of them will tell you they only use a little bit of gain, not many top players use full blown distortion pedals with gain set to 11 haha I'd work on the technique of holding down on the neck a bit stronger because you should be able to hear it in a clean tone as well.

This.

Technique is the important part in getting any sort of sound. Making sure you're playing something properly will be more beneficial to your playing vs just masking poor technique with a ton of distortion.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
This.

Technique is the important part in getting any sort of sound. Making sure you're playing something properly will be more beneficial to your playing vs just masking poor technique with a ton of distortion.

hmm do you know what that technique is called so I can watch tutorials on it cause ive been looking and i have no idea what to search for. btw i tried what you just said and nothing. i just hear the strings sound not the distortion sound.
Quote by mdnaq8
hmm do you know what that technique is called so I can watch tutorials on it cause ive been looking and i have no idea what to search for. btw i tried what you just said and nothing. i just hear the strings sound not the distortion sound.

Try experimenting with speed and how hard you pick the strings. If you hearing each note of each fret loud and clear chances are your maybe sliding to slow, or maybe you've picked a little to clear. It's kind of a messy thing to do if I'm honest, it sounds good yes but it is a bit of a vague and messy technique.

If your hitting the string with your pick and sliding down the neck holding the strings down all the way then your doing the right thing. You just need to experiment till it sounds right to your ears.

Something else you could try is just doing a quick clip of you doing it so we can see what your doing and advise you further based on what you're already doing.
Quote by T.A.Z
Try experimenting with speed and how hard you pick the strings. If you hearing each note of each fret loud and clear chances are your maybe sliding to slow, or maybe you've picked a little to clear. It's kind of a messy thing to do if I'm honest, it sounds good yes but it is a bit of a vague and messy technique.

If your hitting the string with your pick and sliding down the neck holding the strings down all the way then your doing the right thing. You just need to experiment till it sounds right to your ears.

Something else you could try is just doing a quick clip of you doing it so we can see what your doing and advise you further based on what you're already doing.

Basically this.

Quote by mdnaq8

There's no name for it. You're literally just sliding down the neck.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by T.A.Z

thats what i'm doing. but as soon as i touch and press down on the strings the distortion sounds disappears and while sliding theres nothing but string sounds instead. well when i see something and i like it but have no idea how to do it, it just makes me curious lol. i tried pressing on the stings first and then hitting the strings. and same thing. nothing.
i would say take a quick video on your phone or whatever and upload it to youtube to share here so we can help you out mate. Without seeing what your doing we can't tell what your doing wrong to be honest
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Oh, that's a slide as well and he's using a pick, just not for the actual slide.

Agreed regarding the guitar information.

Not so much regarding the probable gender of the guitarist.

Quote by mdnaq8
thats what i'm doing. but as soon as i touch and press down on the strings the distortion sounds disappears and while sliding theres nothing but string sounds instead. well when i see something and i like it but have no idea how to do it, it just makes me curious lol. i tried pressing on the stings first and then hitting the strings. and same thing. nothing.

you're muting then, you need to make sure you're still pressing down on the frets as you slide. Just do it on one string, as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Agreed regarding the guitar information.

Not so much regarding the probable gender of the guitarist.

you're muting then, you need to make sure you're still pressing down on the frets as you slide. Just do it on one string, as well.

Yeah I wasn't really paying attention. I noticed it was a chick after
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?