Hi, everyone. I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong sub-forum.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, which has 1 volume and 1 tone. I hadn't played it in a year and a half, or so, and I decided to take it out and play it a bit. I noticed that my volume pot, which has always worked perfectly, kills my signal when I dial back from 10. It doesn't gradually reduce my output as it should.

When I took out the guitar, the volume knob was lose, so I tightened the screw under the knob a bit. That was before I plugged the guitar to test it, but I don't see how that would have affected the pot at all. I didn't force it or anything.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone, and if anyone here who knows a bit about guitar electronics might have an idea of what I should look at. I know nothing about electronics, but I took a look at the wiring and I don't see anything out of place. I can provide some pics, but they're kind of low quality.

I'd appreciate any help you might give me. I'd have to wait a couple of weeks in order to get a luthier to fix it.
Last edited by GMx at Dec 7, 2015,
Get some deoxit or other electrical component cleaner and spray it in the pot, then work it in a little by turning the knob back and forth a few times. See if that helps.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Get some deoxit or other electrical component cleaner and spray it in the pot, then work it in a little by turning the knob back and forth a few times. See if that helps.

+1 but if it doesn't work you might as well just replace both pots - relatively easy to do, good practice, and can be an upgrade for next to no $$$
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
+1 but if it doesn't work you might as well just replace both pots - relatively easy to do, good practice, and can be an upgrade for next to no $$$

Can't get new stuff where I live, otherwise this would be a whole different guitar and I'd use it as my main instrument

But thank you both for the advise. What does that deoxit do, exactly? Just so I know how to look for it.
Alright, thanks a lot. I'll try that, since I don't really see anything broken or disconnected on the back of the pot.
Quote by GMx
Alright, thanks a lot. I'll try that, since I don't really see anything broken or disconnected on the back of the pot.

Where do you live that you can't get new stuff? You have a mailbox right? Just buy pots online. They're less than $10 usually. Maybe more for really really good ones (Bournes sealed pots are $20).
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Where do you live that you can't get new stuff? You have a mailbox right? Just buy pots online. They're less than $10 usually. Maybe more for really really good ones (Bournes sealed pots are $20).

I live in Venezuela. Shipping prices are overly absurd, and I can't go to a store and pick whatever I want to buy, because: 1. stores are empty, and 2. whatever you find is ridiculously overpriced. So I have to care for what I already have and that's it.
Quote by GMx
I live in Venezuela. Shipping prices are overly absurd, and I can't go to a store and pick whatever I want to buy, because: 1. stores are empty, and 2. whatever you find is ridiculously overpriced. So I have to care for what I already have and that's it.

Alot of sellers on eBay send free international shipping.Mostly from china where quality control maybe be a issue but in your case it's better than nothing.Try the contact cleaner first but buying pots from eBay is definitely worth a think.