I'm willing to spend 1,500$ on a bass, and I can buy used. I'm looking for a bass that will give me a very warm and full tone (MUST be a 5 string). I really like the tone that the bass player for My Morning Jacket has if that helps. I would buy a fender jazz bass, but I know that for the money there are much better basses out there. The LTD basses by ESP are supposed to be really good for the money, but I'm leaning on the Ibanez side a bit more. This is a bass for rock, not heavy/ regular metal or anything of those types of music). Much more of the soft rock/ indie-Alternative side of things. Not dealing with a lot of distortion or gain. A very room filling warm sound, kinda like Family Man. Any suggestions?
if you shop around your area guitar stores, you can find used customs for less than that.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
True, plus I live in Nashville which helps. Thing Is I'm a gear head about guitar gear, not bass gear, so I don't know what to look for. Maybe a used Carvin?
carvins can be found used for way under your budget. i got a local custom as well as a Sage for $1300 each, so i'd recommend just looking around. if it works, the neck has been taken care of, and it sounds good, buy it. what you get from customs is typically top quality wood choices, but if you're not into that, you can get pretty much any factory-quality instrument used outside of the really high dollar stuff (warwick thumbs, for example, will probably be out of reach)

i can tell you what brands i like all day, but it depends on what feels good to you more than anything. in nashville you should have more than enough to choose from. just go to your local guitar center, sam ash, etc. and start looking at the top row to try out. if you're hasty and buy off of impressions, you'll regret it later

for me, i'd go for a godin acoustic, musicman bongo, or a new carvin if i had a $1500 budget available. if you want to save a few bucks, you can get high level ibanezes used around that price as well
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Spaz91
Are those US dollars?

Quote by samclayton19
True, plus I live in Nashville which helps.

so yes
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Try as much as you can in person. Since you're in Nashville I'm sure there are shops around, even if their stock isn't the greatest, try everything you can in your price range if only just to see what kind of features you personally like in a bass. You're willing to invest a fair amount of money, so you should make sure you're getting something that really vibes with you.

I'd recommend giving G&L a look. An L2500 or L1505 would probably one of the best bang-for-your-buck basses you could get, especially if you got a good deal on a used American made one. You're also in the territory of a used German Warwick Corvette or a used Spector Euro. If you like super thin necks Ibanez has SR's in practically every price range.

You have a lot of options with that kind of money, so take some time to try before you buy if possible.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i'm a huge fan of ibanez basses from their lower end models to the premium series. good value, light bodies, a variety of pickups available (i have a couple mikros and an SR500, which has barts, and the higher end ones have nordstrands, which totally rock).

i didn't care for the LTD models, but you might find schecter worth looking into, and like ibanez, fender covers a variety of price ranges and tones, and are good quality, too. G&L is definitely worth trying, and i like the sterling by MM S.U.B ray 4 a lot; you might also find a stingray in your price range.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
This might be off your budget but Rickenbacker might suit your style well maybe you should look into it. It's not for everyone though personally I like Ibanez you can get a good range from soft jazzy to heavy rock/metal, in my opinion at least. The SR series are pretty decent for rock in terms of sound and playability so I'd recommend looking into that, the good ones are really affordable too. Don't let the price tag fool you either the biggest problem people have with ibanez is they assume because some of their stuff is significantly cheaper than Gibson or Fender American basses they must be bad.
how do you edit signature?
Quote by samclayton19
True, plus I live in Nashville which helps. Thing Is I'm a gear head about guitar gear, not bass gear, so I don't know what to look for. Maybe a used Carvin?

I bought a MM Stingray V at Corner Music Nashville in 1999, stripped it down at the motel, put the body in one suitcase and the neck in the other.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I always advise anyone to get decent amplification before spending shed loads of money on an instrument.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn