I recently purchased an Ibanez S520 from Long and Mcquade (Canada) and immediately noticed the roughness of the frets when bending. I talked to the local L&M guitar tech about the performance warranty included with my purchase and requested they cleanup the fret work.

The tech is hesitant to guarantee his manager will let him spend the hours of work required to cleanup the frets and says he'll give me a call tomorrow with more info.

So my first thought is to just send the guitar back for a replacement, but the tech seemed pretty confident that this is par for the course on cheap Ibanez guitars.

So am I to believe that Ibanez just doesn't offer smooth frets on cheap guitars made in Indonesia? (the guitar tech is very well regarded in atlantic Canada so i'm hesitant to ignore his advice)
Last edited by mik James at Dec 7, 2015,
What work needs to be done that they're saying it's not covered by the performance warranty? IIRC L&M's performance warranty covers fret wear as well as replacements should the damage be too much for them to fix. At least they do here in Ontario.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The frets essentially aren't very smooth, where you'd expect a smooth pit free surface it feels like bending with fine grain sand paper attached to the fret. If you put it under a microscope you'd probably see a lot of micro pitting/porosity on the fret surface. There performance warranty appears to cover general fret wear, whereas this is a case of shoddy quality control. I'd just like to believe this isn't common with 400-500$ (cad) guitars. The tech does good work, but maybe he's just a little too much of a salesman for Long and Mcquade, and would prefer to upsell rather than fix the problem, or replace the guitar.
Quote by mik James
The frets essentially aren't very smooth, where you'd expect a smooth pit free surface it feels like bending with fine grain sand paper attached to the fret. If you put it under a microscope you'd probably see a lot of micro pitting/porosity on the fret surface. There performance warranty appears to cover general fret wear, whereas this is a case of shoddy quality control. I'd just like to believe this isn't common with 400-500$ (cad) guitars. The tech does good work but maybe he's just a little too much of a salesman for Long and Mcquade and would prefer to upsell rather than fix the problem or replace the guitar.

I wouldn't say its normal for a 400-500 dollar guitar to have issues like that.

My guess is exactly what you have bolded. I imagine they're trying to get out of doing that or putting in the time to fix it.

If the product is brand new, has issues and it's too expensive for them to fix, that's grounds for replacement unless they have some fine print somewhere else on the page.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sounds like the way to go, I'll give it at least one replacement before moving onto something else.

Thanks
^+311
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mik James
Sounds like the way to go, I'll give it at least one replacement before moving onto something else.

Thanks

No problem. Good luck and I hope the next one turns out amazing!

Quote by dspellman
Sounds like fairly common corrosion on frets that have been sitting around for a while (whether in the store, at an Ibanez "fulfillment center" or in someone's closet). If so, it's not a big deal to get the frets shiny again, and there's no guarantee that the next one won't have the same issues.

That could be it as well. Either way, they should fix it or replace it for him. It shouldnt be on him.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 7, 2015,
Sounds like fairly common corrosion on frets that have been sitting around for a while (whether in the store, at an Ibanez "fulfillment center" or in someone's closet). If so, it's not a big deal to get the frets shiny again, and there's no guarantee that the next one won't have the same issues.
Bought it from the website so i would like to believe i am receiving a new guitar?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No problem. Good luck and I hope the next one turns out amazing!

That could be it as well. Either way, they should fix it or replace it for him. It shouldnt be on him.

I asked about this, I had been given advice from the same tech in the past regarding cleaning up the frets on an old guitar with steel wool, the tech was insistent that this was a different issue and would require filing of the frets to fix.

I guess it comes down to just how perfect should a low end-midrange guitar be?
Is it fair to expect the shop to provide a 500$ guitar that plays like a 1000$ guitar even if the guitar manufacturer offers minimal quality control?

You could say the guitar shop has a choice in which manufacturers they do business with, but it's hard to say where the line in the sand should be drawn between expectations and the reality of the situation.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I wouldn't say its normal for a 400-500 dollar guitar to have issues like that.

My guess is exactly what you have bolded. I imagine they're trying to get out of doing that or putting in the time to fix it.

If the product is brand new, has issues and it's too expensive for them to fix, that's grounds for replacement unless they have some fine print somewhere else on the page.

A 400-500 guitar in Canada is a 300-350 guitar or less in the US.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG

Thats a good point but MF, Sweetwater and GC list it (Ibanez s520) for 500 (499.99) USD so I'm missing something obviously.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by KenG

Thanks, I enjoy being reminded as often as possible that i'm getting shafted on almost everything I buy

I'd buy a Godin if they sold more than 2 unique guitars. I don't feel like a Godin Passion is worth 1800$ Canadian nor does it appear to be as light and sleek as the Ibanez S.

I wish the Godin Progression Boutique hadn't been discontinued.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thats a good point but MF, Sweetwater and GC list it (Ibanez s520) for 500 (499.99) USD so I'm missing something obviously.

Guess I got a better deal than I thought, it was on sale for 369$ Cad at L&M, so I assumed it was 400-500$ Cad typically.
Quote by mik James
Guess I got a better deal than I thought, it was on sale for 369$ Cad at L&M, so I assumed it was 400-500$ Cad typically.

S520 or s521? One is hard tail and cheaper.

I dont think youre wrong because the few I can find left in Canada are around that price.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Definitely the s520, tremolo and all. Though seeing as I don't use the trem I would have preferred the S521 if it had been on sale.
Quote by mik James

The S520s I found from MF, GC and Sweetwater have different specs (pickups mainly) compared to this so there was a model/price change along the way it seems. That's where things got confusing to me.

I think you and Ken are right and it's about 500 CAD for that guitar.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Closer to 550-600$ from pricing i'm seeing. Either way most 500-600$ guitars i've played have had clean playable frets.
Quote by mik James
Closer to 550-600$ from pricing i'm seeing. Either way most 500-600$ guitars i've played have had clean playable frets.

I cant disagree with you there. Hopefully L&M can do something for you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by mik James
Bought it from the website so i would like to believe i am receiving a new guitar?

"New" is probably accurate meaning that no one has purchased (and returned) it before you. But having guitars in inventory gets tricky. If you're buying one from some place like Guitar Center, a wall guitar may qualify as "new," while it's been thrashed by a hundred or more potential customers.

In your case, that guitar has probably been sitting around, and frets that corrode over time may never have been touched but are still scratchy. Or maybe they've never been polished, ever.
Quote by mik James

You are. Here's the problem, though: Nickel/Copper (aka Nickel Silver) fret wire corrodes in an atmosphere with oxygen in it. It just kinda happens.

Good news is, a quick polish with 0000 steel wool and (if you want) buffing compound will get the frets smooth as glass in only about an hour.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ Gorgomyte will do it on its own with no metal shavings getting stuck to your pickups
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That tells me Gorgomyte is basically a buffing compound.

And as far as the steel wool sticking to the pickups: Just tape over them. No big deal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by mik James
Thanks, I enjoy being reminded as often as possible that i'm getting shafted on almost everything I buy

I'd buy a Godin if they sold more than 2 unique guitars. I don't feel like a Godin Passion is worth 1800$ Canadian nor does it appear to be as light and sleek as the Ibanez S.

I wish the Godin Progression Boutique hadn't been discontinued.

Ha Ha I'm in Canada too so I'm unfortunately well aware of the price differential. It wasn't equal even when our dollars were at par and now it's even worse.
Moving on.....