So I wasn't really sure whether to put this here or in the recording sub, but I'm having an issue with recording. I use the meat of my fingers to play. I like the rounder tone it gives, and fingerpicks are extremely uncomfortable for me. HOWEVER I love the sound of a thumbpick. Especially on my 12 string in C. The specific song I'm working on that's giving me trouble is Wine and Roses / The Red Pony by John Fahey (they're the same song). There's a strumming part that sounds better with the pick, and I love the tone I get with the thumb. However, when I try to record the bass overpowers the treble. Is there any way I can even this out without ditching the thumb or adding fingerpicks?
You might try Fred Kelly Slick Picks (poly or delrin) or Speed Picks (delrin) They are smaller and, in the case of the Speed Picks more flexible than "normal" thumb picks.

I tend to prefer the poly slick picks in heavy or extra heavy for use with bare fingers.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Last edited by davebowers at Dec 8, 2015,
Well, since we're talking about only recording, my best guess is that it's the wrong kind of microphone. That's assuming you're not using on board electronics. The mic might have a cardiod" pickup pattern, which tends to emphasize bass when used in close proximity to a source.

I'd suggest trying an omni-directional mic first. If that isn't enough, try using "parametric equalization". Most DAWs and even mixing boards have that function.

You can try a standard 12 band EQ, bu you normally can't contour them as well as a parametric.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 9, 2015,
I usually use a pair of AKG C214s, sometimes I'll use one of them with an SM57 pointed more towards the treble strings. I don't have an omni yet, or else I'd definitely try that
1) change your strings! old strings will sound dead and muddy.
2)Back up your sm57 - if you're using a dynamic mic and it's too close to the guitar you'll get proximity effect and boost the bass
3) engage the hpf on your interface or preamps - this will reduce the bass significantly and may solve your problem.
4) EQ in your daw - cut the low mids and lows. If 1 and 2 don't take care of the issue.

Also, I would start by recording one mic at a time to troubleshoot. Multiple mics is a bad idea if you're trying to isolate a problem. You'll have more control over the natural eq of mic placement with one mic as well.