I am new to this particular guitar, which I just received, used.

The seller told me he had put some light gauge electric strings on it years ago. I know some new strings will be an improvement but I'd really like to do a good match with this one.

I know for now I'll mostly strum but would like to try some easy picking. I've read that lighter strings are probably favored with this model. I'm really just a mediocre home player and only picked up my dreadnought every so often.

One thing I've noticed is that I always have a hard time getting the highest string tuned to match the #2 and #3 strings. Could This possibly be resolved by using a different string in that position?

Thanks.

ps

I have an unopened set of "Martin M140 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light 12 gauge"

Would these be OK.

Or possibly a set of "Martin MSP3000 SP 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Extra Light .10 gauge"..which I have in an on-line shopping cart.
Last edited by fassbinder2015 at Dec 7, 2015,
I'd split the difference and go with a "custom light set", which are normally .011 to .052.

You don't lose too much bass as compared to acoustic light, but still drop the tension about 15 lbs. overall. From about 165 (light) to 150 (custom light).

Some people like the extra lights you have ordered, IMHO they go too far into electric guitar land. But I have all dreadnought or larger bodies

So no stigma, lotsa people use them on smaller, lightly built guitars.
I would not go higher than Lights. I have a 000 sized guitar, and I would be wary of putting Mediums at standard tuning even on that beauty
My God, it's full of stars!
Thanks guys.

All advise is much appreciated.

I think I might just put on the '"Martin M140 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light 12 gauge' that I already have now.

Maybe order a set of Custom and a set of the Extra Lights as well.

I've been happy with Martins over the years so I think I'll stay in the same brand for now. I don't think I'm that good that it would make any difference.

FWIW, I found this video where Extra Lights, Lights, Customs, and Mediums are compared sound wise. Different brand, but it might shed some tonal info, but not playability.

https://youtu.be/4sZb9YjL-N8

I couldn't tell much difference on my mono laptop speaker but I'll listen later with headphones.

Thanks again.
Last edited by fassbinder2015 at Dec 8, 2015,
IMHO, there's (too) "many a slip twixt the cup and the lip", to buy into any of that.
Recorded, the extra lights sound the best to me. I doubt that would hold up with the guitar in my lap.

If you'll notice, the guitar appears to get duller and duller as the string gauge increases. Live, I think you'd notice the bass tighten up, and get more prominent, but without losing so much of the high end.

In any case, the string alloy has a lot to do with the overall sound as well. Phosphor bronze is "warm", while "brass" (80/20) is brighter. The 2 alloys even have a slightly different play-ability, the brass being a bit easier to fret than PB. (PB is harder, and as a result, harder to bend toward the fret).
Quote by fassbinder2015
I am new to this particular guitar, which I just received, used.

The seller told me he had put some light gauge electric strings on it years ago. I know some new strings will be an improvement but I'd really like to do a good match with this one.

I know for now I'll mostly strum but would like to try some easy picking. I've read that lighter strings are probably favored with this model. I'm really just a mediocre home player and only picked up my dreadnought every so often.

One thing I've noticed is that I always have a hard time getting the highest string tuned to match the #2 and #3 strings. Could This possibly be resolved by using a different string in that position?

Thanks.

ps

I have an unopened set of "Martin M140 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light 12 gauge"

Would these be OK.

Or possibly a set of "Martin MSP3000 SP 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Extra Light .10 gauge"..which I have in an on-line shopping cart.

Epi specs .012 ~.053 D'Addario's on that thing so you are in the ballpark with your M140's.

on mine i go with .010~.046 because my KG14/L00 is 79 years old and i like really light strings. you don't have that issue so you can use something more normal.

smaller bodied guitar's are very responsive to string gages and material types and so you will notice large changes when swapping around. it can either be "not enough" or "way too much" if that makes sense.

i think for your playing needs though, you will be fine with either a set of .011's or .012's in phosphor bronze or 80/20 bronze.

have a gander here:
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsAcoustic.Page?ActiveID=1904&sid=1886ae8b-01f5-487a-a1a6-c4c119113cab