I don't want to disturb people at the place I live at with my guitar amp. Therefore, I want to be able to play and listen to my guitar amp through my computer while playing along to a play along track coming from my computer as well all while wearing headphones.

Now I know everyone is probably going to suggest buying some kind of mixer thing, but unfortunately I am on a really tight budget for the foreseeable future and I cannot afford to pay for anything more than $15. Since I really am only doing this for the purposes of not wanting amp sounds to disturb people and for practice with playing along to play along tracks I think I could be good with this product:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-2-male-Y-splitter/dp/B00D683FR8

Does anyone know how this product would work if I were to plug one part of the device into the headphone jack of my amp, the other into my computer and the other with my headphones? Would the sound be relatively normal with it all coming from the middle? Would the guitar amp only be played in the left headphone and the play along track from the computer only be played in the right headphone? Or would everything just be static?
You'd get each signal according to the settings of the source. If they're both mono, the sounds would be split evenly. If you pan your computer's audio to the right, it would come from the right headphone.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It's a stereo cable. That means, the audio from the computer would sound the same as if you just plugged your headphones into your computer, same with the guitar. They would both come from both headphones. As said above, you could pan the audio from the computer to the left or to the right. But I don't know about the guitar. I doubt your amp has a pan control.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You should be able to plug the amp headphone out straight into your computer and plug the headphones into the computer out socket.
It should be easy to hear both guitar and track mixed together - although it might depend on your computer and soundcard. (I have a standard desktop PC and never had a problem plugging in and playing along with stuff. No mixer, no audio interface.)

It might also depend on whether you need to hear both in true stereo, or just need to be able to hear both at the same time (each one could be mono). Obviously you need to be able to balance them, but that shouldn't be a problem either - given at least a volume control on the amp, and one on the computer!
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Can your amp output be routed through a speaker emulation before hitting the computer? Otherwise, will sound very thin.

He wasn't suggesting plugging the amp into the computer then into the headphones. (which was suggested by jongtr who has apparently done so with satisfactory results)

The original post was suggesting getting a splitter* so he can plug his amp and computer to his headphones in parallel (not serial). (The link was for a splitter but in this case it's actually "splitting" the incoming signal between two sources as opposed to splitting the outgoing signal between two destinations. So it's actually two inputs (amp and computer) merge into one output (headphones)

i.e. Amp direct to headphones, computer direct to headphones - both at the same time.

It should work fine. You would then just play with each volume output until you get a balance you like. Start with a low volume (0) and increase each incrementally until you get a good balance between the two and an overall volume so as not to blow your headphones (or eardrums). protect your hearing it's kind of important as a musician.
Si
Quote by Commisaur
I don't want to disturb people at the place I live at with my guitar amp. Therefore, I want to be able to play and listen to my guitar amp through my computer while playing along to a play along track coming from my computer as well all while wearing headphones.

Now I know everyone is probably going to suggest buying some kind of mixer thing, but unfortunately I am on a really tight budget for the foreseeable future and I cannot afford to pay for anything more than $15. Since I really am only doing this for the purposes of not wanting amp sounds to disturb people and for practice with playing along to play along tracks I think I could be good with this product:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-2-male-Y-splitter/dp/B00D683FR8

Does anyone know how this product would work if I were to plug one part of the device into the headphone jack of my amp, the other into my computer and the other with my headphones? Would the sound be relatively normal with it all coming from the middle? Would the guitar amp only be played in the left headphone and the play along track from the computer only be played in the right headphone? Or would everything just be static?

The way I do it:

I bought a kinda cheap (but really good) Lexicon Alpha soundcard.
I then connected my guitar as the instrument input, the amplifier as output. Now using my computer and a third party software (you can do Guitar Rig if you like the effects there, or if you want the clean sound you can use something like Cubase or Reaper. They are also used for recording).

To this specific soundcard, I have the ability to plug headphones too (basically, an AUX slot).

But generally, if you already manage the soundcard through your computer, you can direct the output to go to headphones in the settings of whichever 3rd party software you chose to use.

Bare in mind that if you want effects from, let's say, your amplifier to be heard with your headphones, there should be a method to simply plug in headphones to the amplifier. When I used to do it (before using the "technologically advanced" solution above), I just plugged my headphones straight to the amplifier's output plug. Sometimes you might have to use a converter from PL to AUX. Depends on the amp and headphones. I personally use a Blackstar 40W amp.

If you have any technical questions or need help, let me know.

EDIT: Using a splitter is possible. I used an AUX splitter ($2 on Ebay or Amazon). Female on one side, 2 males on the other side. But after buying the soundcard I didn't even have to use the splitter anymore because it had two separate outputs: PL (for the amp) and AUX (for the headphones).
Last edited by weinberger.ariel at Dec 9, 2015,