I've noticed that when i slap and sometimes finger pick with alot of force, the A string pops out of the nut. It is only the A string which makes me think that there must have been some erosion or something. How do i go about fixing this? Can a repairman fix just that small part or do i need to get the whole nut replaced?
File down that slot a little bit.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by DChalo123
I've noticed that when i slap and sometimes finger pick with alot of force, the A string pops out of the nut. It is only the A string which makes me think that there must have been some erosion or something. How do i go about fixing this? Can a repairman fix just that small part or do i need to get the whole nut replaced?

need more info but, just filing the slot deeper will likely cause buzzing and you won't like that either. new nuts are cheap -unless you need woolly mammoth bone at least 1000 years old. having a shop person make one or fit a stock replacement is cheap too.

options:
-get a new nut. made to spec, or off the shelf.
-adjust your technique.
-fill and file. kinda like a dental filling. usually involves super glue and powder of something. the worn areas can be filled, built up and reshaped. usually not a permanent fix.
Last edited by ad_works at Dec 9, 2015,
An easy repair would be to use Baking soda and super glue. Fill the slot and recut it. It is probably worn. Either too shallow, too wide, not deep enough, not wide enough. Could be most anything.
Mongo only Pawn in game of life
Bass nuts are relatively cheap and are an easy repair to do. My two cents? Buy a new nut for your bass and replace the current one.
Another thought is the type of bass you have and what is the nut material? I have bone for most of mine on my Modulus basses. Those need to be done by a professional. On my lesser expensive basses that have just a plastic nut, I do the slots myself as I stated before. And, I have a couple of basses from the early 1980's with brass nuts which again, I bring to my luthier to have any work done on them
Mongo only Pawn in game of life
I've replaced a brass nut on a bass, its as easy as the plastic ones. Bone, which are more expensive I'd say, yes maybe hand off to a pro since if you mess it up, its costly.
Turn your head to the side and cough.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
I found was looking for, thanks for the post!
Last edited by hunt1985 at Jan 16, 2016,