Page 1 of 2
All my guitar playing life I've purchased cheaper to mid range guitars maybe £400- 600, upgraded the pickups and been happy so for the first time I thought I'd spend a proper wad of cash on an Ibanez Prestige RG3727-FZ.

And I have to say you're better off saving up and getting a killer guitar, it destroys everything I've ever owned, the look, feel, playability - it's got DiMarzio PAF-7s in it which I intended to swap out for Bareknuckles but they sound so good I'm not going to bother.

Interestingly I used to own another mahogany Ibanez (Apex 2) with PAF-7s, but the Prestige sounds way better, I can only assume the materials and skills put into the Prestige help the pickups sound superior?

Anyway it's the bomb
Actually I don't agree with the title. Since I don't know what you've been playing earlier, the difference in this case might be big, but usually with musical equipment it's about finding the balance. The really cheap stuff obviously isn't great, but mid-priced stuff, especially in the upper mid-range (800-1500&euro You'll find really great stuff and then the value gradually decreases, in other words you pay 1500€ and get something great, if you'd pay 2000 you'd only get something slightly better, but the 1500€ guitar is way better than a 1000€ guitar.
And this translates to pretty much everything, in the mid-upper mid price you get the best stuff for the least money. This translates to microphones, instruments, mixers, headphones... you name it. The most expensive might be the best, but it's probably not so much better that it's actually worth it.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Same here, i noticed that high-mid range equipment is usually the best. Even normal mid range guitars, like the 600$ level you said, are pretty solid. Hell, i own an ibanez sz320, and i have yet to play a guitar that feels better, including all the 2k and up guitars.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I'm a great advocate of getting the cheap version first so that when you then treat yourself to something special you can truly appreciate, and enjoy, the level of specialness that the more expensive option provides.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I'm of the opinion that up to around $2,000 or so you really do get what you pay for. And usually the upper end have just little improvements that make the guitars that much better (usually much improved fretwork/nut slotting/setup/small detail work).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Cheap/midrange/expensive are really relative terms.

My first guitar was a Gibson ES-335-12, and the next three after that were all Gibsons in the same range. Since then, I've purchased guitars that have been a LOT more expensive, and some that have been a LOT cheaper.

While I really appreciate the seriously expensive guitars, and can tell the difference, I have no issues playing the instruments that are much, much cheaper.
I like the nice stuff myself ..... not that some of the mid range isn't nice or could be nice with one trip to a good tech , .... the higher end guitars just have better quality , controls , electronics , bridges , pick ups , best woods available at the time of manufacture , better frets and attention to detail
Quote by John Sims
I'm a great advocate of getting the cheap version first so that when you then treat yourself to something special you can truly appreciate, and enjoy, the level of specialness that the more expensive option provides.

You may as well start off cheap as you might find you just don't get into playing guitar, but if you and find yourself loving it six months to a year down the line I recommend skipping to something expensive.

I just find myself wanting to open up the case and play the damn thing more than with my cheaper guitars.
High midrange is the best deal. From there, the next level is double the price and not really twice the guitar, but there is a difference of course.
Just my opinion but I've always gone all out on my purchases. Aside from guitars I bought in my early teens, they have all been top of the line American made Gibson, Fender etc.

I always thought, why spend $1500 when for another $1000 or so, I'll have something that will last me forever and will always resale for a decent amount should I choose to sell.

To each his own but that's how I look at it.
Quote by Fumble fingers
I like the nice stuff myself ..... not that some of the mid range isn't nice or could be nice with one trip to a good tech , .... the higher end guitars just have better quality , controls , electronics , bridges , pick ups , best woods available at the time of manufacture , better frets and attention to detail

Unfortunately, a lot of that just isn't necessarily true, and certainly not to a degree that would justify some of the price differences.

I bought a Gibson Axcess Custom for around $4K a few years ago. At the same time, I had Agile custom-build a similar guitar that was $1160, with case, delivered to my front door.

Both had exactly the same Korean-built Floyd Rose installed. Since we essentially shook every piece of metal out of the guitars (both were for the same specific project), we were able to compare all the hardware, and because we needed to do some additional routing for add-ons, were were able to compare the woods. There was nothing about the Gibson that indicated better quality at any level. And in fact the Agile had some construction options that weren't available from the Gibson Custom Shop at the time (neck-through construction, wide/flat neck profile, 16" radius ebony fretboard, jumbo stainless frets, etc.). The custom spec on the Agile included a tight-flame full-thickness maple cap. The same maple cap on the Gibson would have cost me $1760 more, and would have been included on a $2000 Carvin rendition of the same guitar. Gibson's top wouldn't have been any better, but they certainly would have charged as if it were. In the end, it was the Gibson that ended up being the backup to the Agile for the project.

I own a pair of Line 6 Variax JTV-89F guitars. These are available in a Korean version and in a USA-made version. Hardware on the two guitars is, for the most part, identical (it has to be). The only differences come in a set of Hipshot tuners on the USA version, the inclusion of an extra battery (for a total of two) on the USA version, and a G&G hard case rather than the soft (gigbag) case for the Korean. The pickups are also identical for both. Wood is a very good mahogany for both, maple neck, no difference in finishes. There are a few additional minor color variations. The USA version (over $3600) is three times what the Korean version ($1199) runs. FWIW, the G&G case can be had directly from G&G for around $300. Before I chose, I was able to play both versions side-by-side. In the end, I liked the Korean version I got so well, that I ordered a backup of the same guitar a year later. I had room in the $3600 USA-spec budget ( for one guitar) for both guitars, extra batteries, a pair of G&G cases and a pair of PLEK jobs for the guitars. I didn't need to spend for the PLEK setup, however; the guitars arrived with great fretwork (noticeable if you keep your action pretty low).

All too often, the "expensive spread" isn't more or better guitar.
Quote by badfish_lewis
Just my opinion but I've always gone all out on my purchases. Aside from guitars I bought in my early teens, they have all been top of the line American made Gibson, Fender etc.

I always thought, why spend $1500 when for another $1000 or so, I'll have something that will last me forever and will always resale for a decent amount should I choose to sell.

To each his own but that's how I look at it.

I believe in "buy once," too. I still have my first guitar, that Gibson '67 335-12.
If you buy quality the first go-round, there's no need to look back. But the truth is, there's some amazing quality being generated, these days, in the lower price ranges. And some of the G and F production guitars are really relying on the power of the logo more than a true difference in quality to sell expensive gear to just want the brand.
I think the jump from say a £500 guitar to a £1500 one is big, but £1500 to £3000? Possibly not as much of a leap
Buy what you like!

Personally I see little value in high-end guitars. The most I have ever paid is $800 and yet my $400 MIJ 335 knockoff plays just like a $3k Gibson. Most of my gig axes were bought used for $400-$600.

I suppose if I had an unlimited bank account I could spend whatever I want on guitars but I don't, and they are simply tools for making music. Quality tools don't have to be fancy or expensive.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I agree with the upper mid range being better than the lower mid range. I gave a higher quality epi les paul ( about 900) and ut slays the shit out of a standard or even the plus tops, not that those are bad instruments.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
you usually get what you pay for. more expensive gear is usually better quality... sounds, feels, and looks. is it worth it to you is the question everyone needs to ask themselves? It's all about finding the gear that gives you that special feeling. Sounds like you got it with the Prestige.
Do you consider a SCHECTER C1 Custom fr a mid-range guitar or an expensive guitar ?

I bought this guitar 1200 $ Canadian
Personally for me I think anything over a £1000 should be rated expensive - because let's face it that ain't peanuts for a musical instrument.

I always regarded mid range as like 500 to maybe 700 probably a bit more than mentioned previously? But then people with deeper pockets might consider £1000 mid range

You might ask what about £700-999? I say I have no idea
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Dec 8, 2015,
$ signs just aren't the best indication of quality. there is often an assumption but not a guarentee that more money = better product. being a strat guy this is constantly a thing with me. i've played Custom Shop that were awesome and some that were just ok. i've played MIMs and US production models that followed the same pattern. some guitars it seems at almost any price point (within reason) just have "it". your job find them. i bought a MIM that had been modded to near Strat+ specs as a backup to my Strat+ Deluxe. the MIM is now my #1, go figure. for whatever reason it just has that certain something that works for me (and the strat+ isn't by any means inferior, actually it's a great guitar)
Quote by gorkyporky
Same here, i noticed that high-mid range equipment is usually the best. Even normal mid range guitars, like the 600$ level you said, are pretty solid. Hell, i own an ibanez sz320, and i have yet to play a guitar that feels better, including all the 2k and up guitars.

Check out a Vigier, for example. Is it worth the extra cash? Maybe. Is it an absolutely different instrument than the made in Korea stuff most people play? Absolutely!

I can say the same about my ESPs, no comparison to LTDs. And, that´s not saying that LTDs aren´t good guitars.
If you want something blingy that looks good up close and personal, cost matters, if you just want performance, not so much. However, there is no such thing as a free lunch. To walk into a hock shop and confidently buy an Oz$65 clunker for upgrading has its own price, in experience and tools.

Then there is mojo. Something with a big name on the headstock has mojo, but so does my Oz$65 hock shop special, in its own different way.

Disclosure - I'm an antisnob with regard to electrics - "I'm good, I don't need a ******* to prove it".
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 8, 2015,
Quote by kentuckyklira
Check out a Vigier, for example. Is it worth the extra cash? Maybe. Is it an absolutely different instrument than the made in Korea stuff most people play? Absolutely!

I can say the same about my ESPs, no comparison to LTDs. And, that´s not saying that LTDs aren´t good guitars.

agree but taking things to a bit of an extreme. vigier makes only really high end guitars so perhaps not all that fair of a comparison. many LTDs are pretty good guitars but again if you have ESP custom shop guitars then perhaps not as fair again. a good guitar is a good guitar after a while you are just nit picking. if your mid range guitar plays well and sounds great then it's all good. are there going to be "better" guitars out there that cost more, well sure. not really what's being discussed though. there is always something "better".
I've never played a Custom Shop standard guitar.2.5k is the most expensive guitar i've played and that was a PRS.Had a few Standard level Gibsons and Fenders.
I mean you hear great things about Custom Shop guitars and i'm sure they are real nice but can they really be worth say twice the price of the 'Standard' USA models?
Quote by Cajundaddy
Buy what you like!

Personally I see little value in high-end guitars. The most I have ever paid is $800 and yet my $400 MIJ 335 knockoff plays just like a $3k Gibson. Most of my gig axes were bought used for $400-$600.

I suppose if I had an unlimited bank account I could spend whatever I want on guitars but I don't, and they are simply tools for making music. Quality tools don't have to be fancy or expensive.

Exactly. I just got an Epi les paul standard pro and I'm stunned by the quality for $450. It's flawless and the set-up is even great. Maybe a Gibson has better pick-ups and electronics but these are pretty damn good too and if I wanted to upgrade that, I could do so for a whole lot less than the $1500 price difference. You can't tell the difference between a solid maple top and a veneer one either, not on an electric guitar. I've had similar experience with the higher end squires vs. a real fender. The difference is minimal to my hands, eyes and ears, but the price difference isn't. Even if the fretwork and set-up isn't the greatest on a cheaper guitar, that is a simple and inexpensive fix. Anybody that knows anything about guitars can set it up themselves and a fret job can be done by a professional for $100 or less. Not to knock anyone that enjoys and can afford a high end guitar, more power to you! To me it's more hype than reality. Nowadays most mid-range guitars (acoustic and electric) are pretty damn good.
you pay a premium for something built in the US or a non third world European country.

you pay another premium for things that aren't mass produced and only built in limited numbers.

that stuff doesn't matter to many people.

I prefer not to buy things from asia excluding japan if I can help it. But i'm not even sure how long I can keep that up when factory made indonesian instruments are starting to cost 750.

yolo?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i don't like spending more than a grand on a guitar or amp. i have only went over that thrice. $1100ish for my 52 RI tele, my fryette sig:x, and my splawn nitro.

i don't buy new, scour the internet and CL, and i ONLY buy if it is a good deal. if what i want isn't at the price i want. i buy something else. simple enough.

i do have to say though that m 3550MZ ibby is better than my 1570 ibby. that is only a few hundred more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like guitars. Expensive, inexpensive, just give me something that I can rip on.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Price is just one factor for me. Quality- perceived or actual- is another, and it doesn't necessarily track with $$$. Then there's ergonomics and visual aesthetics.

Sometimes, the use of exotic materials drives up price in such a way that delivers function & utility that can't easily be reproduced at lower price points.

For instance, Agile makes a fretless guitar for not a lot of money. And fretless basses aren't exactly dear, either. But Vigier's Surfreter uses a special metal alloy fingerboard that reaaaaaallly doesn't sound or behave the same way as fretless instruments that use wooden fingerboards. And a luthier of my acquaintance wants me to try out a fretless with a carbon-fiber fingerboard...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 8, 2015,
a top end Ford car will done everything that a bmw and a mercedes can do, it will get you from A to B in exactly the same time, in exactly the same comfort. It will last about the same time.
The bmw will have a few things better - but unless you're a car expert you might not notice - but really you're paying for the name and the fact it had higher labour cost.
Guitars today are not only priced more but are also made with cheaper woods and parts. Id take a 15yr+ year old guitar no matter how much its worth over any newly built guitar today.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by adetheheat
a top end Ford car will done everything that a bmw and a mercedes can do, it will get you from A to B in exactly the same time, in exactly the same comfort. It will last about the same time.
The bmw will have a few things better - but unless you're a car expert you might not notice - but really you're paying for the name and the fact it had higher labour cost.

I get your point but you picked a bad example. Ford are no where near the build quality and reliability of a BMW.

I think the Ford is the reasonable, cheap guitar with a fair few features.
The BMW is much better quality and better finished but more $$$.
The Rolls Royce is the very high priced showy guitar that may not be worth the high price tag.
Quote by adetheheat

you don't have to be a car expert to see that if a guy pulls up in a Ford he'll be watching the hot girl get into the BMW.
i like my neighbor's Maserati Quatraportei a lot. my other neighbor's Porsche Cayenne Turbo, and is BMW M1.

they are nice cars. period.

i have never driven or sat in a ford that compares to the Maserati.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've been in some damn exotic cars in my life. I love them.

Even though there are some I could afford, I drive things like Volvos and Hondas. I prefer the reliability, cost of ownership and safety of the more mundane cars.

...but I will NEVER make the mistake of thinking a high-end mainstream sedan is anything like a luxury sedan costing $100k+. Yeah, they're all 4 seat ers, etc., but the experience is completely different.

A Quattroporte would be nice, in an eccentric kind of way, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by monwobobbo
you don't have to be a car expert to see that if a guy pulls up in a Ford he'll be watching the hot girl get into the BMW.

I beg to differ...

My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
and lets not forget the more common guy can always afford one of these

and rip your BMW to shreds
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by Ikillintel

well it figures that the girl in the 2nd pic is trying to fix her Fixed Or Repaired Daily. pretty sure the other girl is just standing in front of that car waiting for BMW guy to pick her up.
Quote by Ikillintel

Well...maybe until the Ford has to go around more than one corner.

Then you'll see the BMW fly through the turns as the Ford starts eating its own tires in a search for grip.

Oh yeah...and the passengers in the BMW will still be able to have a conversation (or hear music) over the noise of the engine, even at top speeds.

Quote by Ikillintel
I beg to differ...

I'm not 100% sure, but that rack may be made out of the same stuff as the car is made of.

Page 1 of 2