Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a 2014 Fender American std strat with fat 50s. I have ordered a SD Hot Rails for the bridge. I would like to split the coils on the hot rails to be able to get a single coil sound.

I have seen a video on youtube with a 3-way switch for splitting coils (1 way humbucker, 1 each for he single coil parts). This sounds good. Also a push/pull function which would let me switch to just one of the single coils on the humbucker would Be great, as that would probably mean I don't have to drill ino my pickguard. I am not so interested in only having the mid-bridge position on my 5-way selector be a split, as I want to be able to have the bridge be both humbucker and single coil.

Would you know 1) what switch, or what push/pull knob to get 2) wiring details?

Thank you!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
there is a ton of ways to split coils such as

the Fender S1 switch is one idea
An oaks and grigsby super 5 way switch is option 2

a mini toggle you can either replace a tone knob with or drill a hole in the pickguard like david gilmours black strat

or a push pull pot

push pulls are the easiest to come by so lets focus on that

so wiring wise seymour duncan has the best diagrams, i hate their new site layout personally for the wiring diagrams as the generator is still in the baby steps

this is how you do it with a push pull, the bottom portion i haven't personally tried this way but both accentuation on coils give you totally different sounds, i find the north coil (in the bridge position) much more "tighter" , this isn't a full diagram but it should help you out, just copy everything else the existing diagram has.

you want a...
A250k for volume / B250k for tone
push pull brand , alpha, dimarzio or bourns
shaft height and knob type the guitar shop should help with

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 8, 2015,
Awesome; thank you!
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Just checking - one push/pull tone pot is all that's needed right? I don't also need a push/pull volume pot right?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
nope. just one.. unless you have two humbuckers and you want the option to make either single coil.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
nope. just one.. unless you have two humbuckers and you want the option to make either single coil.

Thanks!
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
So I ordered a push/pull tone pot from Fender for compatability.
http://intl.fender.com/en-JP/guitar-bass-parts/controls-and-switches/250k-pushpull-split-shaft-potentiometer/

Now if this is using your 1st diagram, would I use that wiring on my middle knob (tone knob in between the volume knob and the bottom tone knob)?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
with push pulls they are easy to work with, the 6 contacts above the pot float in space , so how you wire a push pulls contacts doesn't affect the main wiring of the guitar, as in volumes and tones. This is a really good thing for people wiring them up because you can have the split anywhere and still get the same sound. There is a bunch of other things a push pull can do with a 4 wire humbucker too.

Besides the coilsplit if you added another push pull to the guitar you could do the infamous 7 way mod to have all 3 pickups on or the outer 2 like david gilmour has on his black strat, save this for reference. I do custom wirings on ebay as a hobby and this i've done a million times figuratively
Thanks tallwood. Maybe I'll stick to the one coil split for now but I will save this.

As for the pot I bought and linked above...now I am confused as to where to put the pot. It doesn't actually say tone or volume, and no A or B. I'm a big dumb animal. Where would be best?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
A250k swells as you turn it down like a classic volume
B250k is smooth and consistent as you turn it down

besides that they do the same thing
So...using it as the volume would work? I wish the Fender site had more info..
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
it would work as either , just when you turn the knob down how it acts is what the letters mean. If you have another guitar for example pick it up and turn the volume down and compare it to the tone. You'll notice the tone is smoother as you roll it down , the volume in most guitars will go dark fast.

linear (B pots, as in B250k or B500k) as I said before are smooth and predictable or consistent , 10 is still 10 , 0 is 0, just the distance between 10 and 0 is different

audio taper (A pots) as in A250k or A500k drop a lot more treble as you turn the volume down , a lot of guys like this as a volume and it is the 'industry standard" but when i do harnesses everything is linear. It's personal preference.

on guitars with A250k or A500k pots i usually do stuff like this as it's cheaper than getting a new potentiometer as CTS, Alpha and all if i want reliability i'll at least wait for the first pot to "Die'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0SLdOWvz3c
http://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/1SCH_2S_5W_1VppSPL_2T.jpg

SD sent me this diagram. It looks like Tallwood's 1st one.

As to the pot I bought...I have no idea if it is A or B.
http://intl.fender.com/en-JP/guitar-bass-parts/controls-and-switches/250k-pushpull-split-shaft-potentiometer/

So, planning to wire it like the SD/your previous comment, and put it in the volume.

Would this give me the most stratty and/or best tone? I see lots of split vs parallel debates when I google this. Ideally I want to coil split this and have essentially the standard 3 single coils, then push in the pot and have humbucker mode. I know the coil split will not sound as good as the fat 50s bridge, but something that would get through a section or two of a song would be nice
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
well how it splits is the same way both my diagram or theirs, just I made it more simple by only showing how you're soldering in the new pickup. I learned from their diagrams years ago.

you know it's a really good question for those who know wiring like me, I'm sure the hot rail has been fine tuned where the coilsplit is more suited for a 250k pot because it's like the name says a really hot single coil, like 17k if memory serves me right (i've owned a ton of seymour duncans) ....but anyways..

if it's a 250k push pull , linear (B) or audio taper (A) both will give you the same sound at 10. so either way you're fine. You'll get the same sounds , if you used the push pull as a 500k instead of 250k it would change the sound but 250k you'll be fine.

As far as superior sound fat 50s or this it's entirely up to you, I'm not sure what the readings on the other 2 pickups are but if you don't like the classic single coil sound that buzzes you can make the hot rails go parallel for a weaker sound with no hum, so much of what we do or play is preference.
Thanks for all your help. I ordered a .001 cap and 150 ohm resistor and will do that mod.

Now..I am planning to put this in parallel as this looks to be better with hot rails than just a coil split.

Would you or someone else here have a diagram for series/parallel split with the push pull pot?

Sorry for all the questions
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
when in doubt send me a private message, I do custom wirings all the time on ebay actually, i dont promote my side business here as I want people to learn as it's a forum not a store right

my best advice, tin the wires and all the contacts except for the white one, for that cheat , how you cheat is simple, so when you cut the resistor/capacitor leads down to a workable length you have this extra bit of metal , that metal you can put in the white contacts connecting the top right to the middle left contact, from there just install the pickup.

ground is ground, so to the back of any pot

output = hot lead , in this case since you're going to a switch you're replacing the hot lead on your pickups switch , hot lead is what activates the pickup in the switch.

the only thing i dont like about parallel is you can only do one pickup to one push pull. looks hard but tin everything you can except for that white wire, better to tin it once the metal leads in , it makes life a lot more easier.
Thank you! I really appreciate the he expert instructions. I'll do it like that.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you