I have a stock Peavey Valveking 112 as my main amp and I normally jump the effect loop out to the effect loop in, which uses the loop buffer to help the sound (a pretty standard VK112 trick). Last night, I plugged the VK112 effect loop out into a second amp (solid state Fender Princeton Chorus) and left the VK112 effect loop in jack empty. I really liked the big sound of the two amps together, especially with chorus added to the Fender and the VK left on clean.

I didn't leave it hooked up this way very long in case I would damage the VK 112 by using the effect out jack without looping the signal back to the effect loop in. Is this OK?
You don't have to have an actual loop back there. You're okay.

You should, however, check on the match between the output of the VK112 and the input of the Princeton Chorus.
Quote by dspellman
You should, however, check on the match between the output of the VK112 and the input of the Princeton Chorus.

I'm using the #2 input of the Princeton Chorus, which is supposed to be for active pickups. I didn't notice any sound problems in the Fender.
Quote by jds2
I'm using the #2 input of the Princeton Chorus, which is supposed to be for active pickups. I didn't notice any sound problems in the Fender.

It's your amp...
You plugged the effects send of the VK into the input of the Fender? Should be okay. Not using the effects loop is fine on the VK, as well as leaving one end open. It only really activates once there is something in the return as well.

The effects send is meant to go to a pedal for effects loop chains so I do not think that signal will harm the Fender amp, especially if you are using an active-expecting input.