My band is playing in a Battle of the Bands in two months. We are planning on playing 2 originals and then a cover of Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne and Carry the Zero by Built to Spill. We played it in it last year and had a solid performance but unfortunately didn't win. We have improved a lot from back then though. Does anyone have any tips in general on how to win and how to get the audience to have a great time? Another thing is whenever I get up on the stage I get shaken up and really nervous (I sing and play guitar). Does anyone also have any advice on getting over stage fright?
Being nervous is natural. Theres not much you can do about it. Just make sure you know your material like the back of your hand. Once you start playing, your nerves turn into something else and you can start enjoying your performance. By the way- keep that in mind (ENJOY the performance). I find that whenever i play live, its over before i know it and I wish it wouldnt end.

In terms of trying to win? Perish the thought. The winner is already pre-determined. Life is a popularity contest. If you want the crowd to get into the show, have good stage presence and dont let it degrade the quality of your show. Buy wireless units and let guitarists run around like maniacs. Dont play TOO loud; loud enough that its a sea of sound, but quiet enough that there is clarity and the crowd can discern all the instruments. Have fun
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by flexiblemile
It's a popularity contest. Bring the most amount of people and you will win.

Totes
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
1. Drench the crowd in your aura and stage presence
2. Don't play Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne
Play at an open mic night every week between now and the contest to really get comfortable performing your stuff live. Being able to get a good sound from the first note, tight breaks, good stage show, and lots of friends in the crowd all help. No substitute for live experience.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
play your heart out and work the crowd. Depending the pecking order when you hit the stage, watch the other bands and the crowd while the other bands play, see their reaction. Playing g'tar and singing needs good coordination, are you lead or rhythm? Whatever you do, don't do spandex and glitter, my opinion only. This is what I put in the other thread as well.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Get a time machine and learn to play like Eddie van Halen.

Even watching early Van Halen performances is a good resource. Those guys owned band contests because they were tight musically, had swagger, and were very comfortable on stage.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Hoolian
Does anyone have any tips in general on how to win and how to get the audience to have a great time? Another thing is whenever I get up on the stage I get shaken up and really nervous (I sing and play guitar). Does anyone also have any advice on getting over stage fright?

alcohol
don't make a bm in your trousers.

i'm gonna talk like an old fella from now on.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
First before anything, you have to get access to a time machine and gather up a bunch of important historical figures so you can pass your big history exam.

San Dimas high school football rules!!!!!
Quote by jakesmellspoo at #33720241
don't make a bm in your trousers.

i'm gonna talk like an old fella from now on.

So is this why you smell like poo?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Rub your balls over the opponents' their instruments.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
What you need to do is be better than all the other bands.
Also get a fog machine and wear a gas mask. With enough fog, everyone will choke to death, allowing you to crown yourself as the winner.
I have nothing important to say
Be an attractive female

or a really attractive male
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hoolian
My band is playing in a Battle of the Bands in two months. We are planning on playing 2 originals and then a cover of Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne and Carry the Zero by Built to Spill. We played it in it last year and had a solid performance but unfortunately didn't win. We have improved a lot from back then though. Does anyone have any tips in general on how to win and how to get the audience to have a great time? Another thing is whenever I get up on the stage I get shaken up and really nervous (I sing and play guitar). Does anyone also have any advice on getting over stage fright?

You can't win playing for free in a crappy band.

To kill stage fright ask yourself the question"do I want to do good it sound as good as possible" the answer should be yes" to achieve this goal you must not be afraid to not be afraid you must not care what happens so the answer is

get yourself into a frame of mind where you thinking I don'tcare what happens whatever happens happens. This will really help you play better it will free you up and you can think about your music. It will come naturally. It really works believe me.

As long as you are prepared.
Quote by Fat Lard

2. Don't play Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne

100 times this. It's the battle of the bands equivalent of playing Stairway to Heaven in the Guitar shop.
Don't focus on winning. Focus on making the other bands lose.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Sabotage the equipment of the other bands....

it's the only way.....

Don't be ridiculous. There are plenty of other ways to make bands lose, from glue to bears to saws and everything in between.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.