Hello everybody.
I was looking up scales for Indonesian music again, and there's one scale I can't seem to find any info about, or basically, the notes (I don't know if they're microtonal). There's pelog, slendro, and madenda (I'm not too sure but I think there' s a japanese name for that one) and the one I can't find any info about is "Mandalungan". Does anybody know the notes of this scale? I'd be curious to try it on my fretless.
It could be the melog scale, according to a video I just listened to.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Dec 8, 2015,
It's unfair to use western tuning systems to describe non-western systems, because the tunings are going to be different in some way from the artificial equal temperament.

Otherwise, don't have an answer. What led you to search for this specific knowledge?
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Considering they have an instrument that requires 5 people to play, I'm going to guess that Indonesian music was not intended for western instruments. Not fretted ones, anyway. You may need to use a slide.
Quote by cdgraves
Considering they have an instrument that requires 5 people to play, I'm going to guess that Indonesian music was not intended for western instruments. Not fretted ones, anyway. You may need to use a slide.
He did say he's using a fretless. And maybe he's well aware of the tuning, cultural issues, etc.
Otherwise I agree.
@NeoMvsEu I randomly clicked on the suling instrument once I think after looking up stuff about the pelog scale on wikipedia. In the suling article, it gives you four scales: slendro (or salendro), pelog (a certain type?), madenda, then the last one is this scale.
@to all, I know it's pretty unlikely to be a twelve-tone thing, but I don't know if anybody found the notes in terms of cents, like you find for slendro and pelog on the site called "oddmusic".
If you're that curious, go to Indonesia and do ethnomusicological research on the instruments.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something