just hot my first marshall amp, a JCM 800 1 watt head, how i need a cab.
i'm a bedroom player so it's not for gigging..
some say go with V30 equipped cabs, some say greenbacks, some say G12T-75
there's the mesa mini rectifier cab with the v30, orange ppc112, carvin 112 v30, and so on an so on..
recommend me some cabs to check out, keep in mind there's not much brands in my country, no zilla or avatar, mostly the mainstream like mesa, orange, marshall, carvin, engl

thanks.
I would have thought the first option would be Marshall prescribed cab for the head? They are going to try to produce the best sound they can for their amp so this must be a good bench mark. You might find better but you would certainly find worse.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
i dont think marshall prescribed a cab to all the 1 watt models. only heads and combos came out.
Well, where ARE you located?
If you can order from thomann.de, this is probably the best 1x12" you can get below 200€:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm
It's so cheap it's worth buying even if you end up not liking the V30 much and decide to swap it. The cab itself is solid; bit small maybe but made from birch ply and well worth the price.

For a more classic tone, this one's worth a look:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/egnater_tweaker112x.htm
(Never tried it myself, but the specs seem alright: good materials, good speaker.)

The only Marshall cab you can get below 300€ is the MX112, which is made from pressed wood shavings and has a pretty mediocre speaker - pass.

Generally, I prefer the G12T75 over the V30 for the lowest Volumes, but imo even the V30 sounds good for home use if it's loaded into an open-backed cab or an oversized closed one. Considering the V30 is pretty much ubiquitous, you might as well try it.

EDIT: For home use, imo an open-back cab is the way to go for most people. Most closed-back cabs need a good bit of volume to sound good, imo.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 8, 2015,
i'm in israel.
i'm not neccesarily looking for the cheapest option, but for the recommended one.
what type(s) of music do you play, and what type of tone do you like- bright, middy, scooped etc.?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
mostly classic rock, blues, and thrash.
since it's a jcm, lest say slash and ozzy sort of tone
Quote by John Sims
I would have thought the first option would be Marshall prescribed cab for the head? They are going to try to produce the best sound they can for their amp so this must be a good bench mark. You might find better but you would certainly find worse.

Marshall has never spec'd out a cabinet beyond guesstimating how much space it would take to fit X number of speakers. They, demonstrably, have little idea how to produce the *best* sound for their amps.

What, realistically, would one spec for a 1W amp anyway?
If you don't care about monies, get a 2x12, they sound way more.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
A G12T75 will probably get you closer to an 800 tone - but it depends entirely on what you are trying to achieve. If you want a darker sound, go for a greenback; a brighter tone, a V30.
It's a matter of taste really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gania13
mostly classic rock, blues, and thrash.
since it's a jcm, lest say slash and ozzy sort of tone

hard to say

i think slash uses v30s

thrash sounds like g12t75s, at least to my ears

classic rock and blues would suit greenbacks or g12h30s

Quote by Cathbard
If you want a darker sound, go for a greenback; a brighter tone, a V30.

sort of depends on what you mean by bright and dark. the GB probably is a bit warmer but at the same time it has more bite in the treble than the v30 has, which is very bright in the high mids but actually has the top end rolled off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^yup and yup. The problem is that while the speakers all sound pretty different, they can all be used for OP's styles with the right settings... maybe a G12M isn't perfect for thrash, but whether that's a problem kinda depends on how much thrash you play versus the other styles.

I guess my favourite for an allrounder in a 1x12" would be the T75, if for no other reason than because it's "inoffensive" to my ears for a lot of different styles, it never feels terribly out of place (given some fiddling with the EQ). Though I guess some people might say the same thing about a V30 or Greenback. I don't know where I'm going with this exactly.
Quote by Dave_Mc

sort of depends on what you mean by bright and dark. the GB probably is a bit warmer but at the same time it has more bite in the treble than the v30 has, which is very bright in the high mids but actually has the top end rolled off.

Maybe so but greenbacks sound a lot darker to my ears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I also think that the T75 is a more "versatile" pick. That being said, I don't particularly like it (except when it was in my RM, that sounded awesome).

TS, I think that really a Mesa or Orange can is your best bet. They are built a bit more sturdy than your average Marshall, and the speaker choice is generally good.

Really after a certain point, cabs don't get significantly better. For example, I currently am using a Sonic 212 cab (haven't heard of them? Yeah me neither, but it's a good ply cab that's conveniently sized and I had two speakers laying around to put into it. It sounds great with my SL-X. Point being, it's just some old no-name cab and it works fine.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
does anyone know something about the V30 made in china?
from my understanding, apart from mesa boogie's V30 made in england, all the "regular" V30's are made in china
Quote by gania13
does anyone know something about the V30 made in china?
from my understanding, apart from mesa boogie's V30 made in england, all the "regular" V30's are made in china

I'm not sure how much of a difference there really is. I hear they're built in China, using the machinery that was shipped from the English factory, so who knows.

I've got a Mesa 212, Orange 412, and an Orange 112 all with V30's. The Mesa sounded a little smoother to me, but I just attributed it to the differences in construction.

I find my mesa sounds great where ever I place it (its on castors) by my Orange 412 is super finicky, and has to be placed so the rails running on the bottom are making direct contact with the floor.

Not long after I got the 412, one day after I brought it home from practice, I just threw it on top of my Mesa to save floor space. I hadn't had my Orange amp long, and the next time I plugged into, it sounded super shitty compared to before. I fucked with all the settings, but it didn't sound right until I put in back on the concrete floor.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by TheQuailman
^yup and yup. The problem is that while the speakers all sound pretty different, they can all be used for OP's styles with the right settings... maybe a G12M isn't perfect for thrash, but whether that's a problem kinda depends on how much thrash you play versus the other styles.

I guess my favourite for an allrounder in a 1x12" would be the T75, if for no other reason than because it's "inoffensive" to my ears for a lot of different styles, it never feels terribly out of place (given some fiddling with the EQ). Though I guess some people might say the same thing about a V30 or Greenback. I don't know where I'm going with this exactly.

yeah pretty much EDIT: apart from the g12t75 in a 1x12, i haven't tried enough speakers in a 1x12 to really have any opinion on that.

Quote by Cathbard
Maybe so but greenbacks sound a lot darker to my ears.

yeah. i can definitely hear a bit more treble in them than the v30s, but also the v30 overall probably doesn't sound as warm. it sort of depends on how you describe the things, some people say v30s are bright and some say they're dark, and I can kind of understand both descriptions
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by diabolical
I'd also go with T75 (did). I run it in a 2x12 with my JCM900.

V30 made in China? For the crazy prices they charge for these? Wow...Marshall has really stooped low this time!

Well China is well capable of producing some quality products.
Unfortunately most companies, that get components made in China, try to maximise profits by asking for the cheapest thing they can produce.
Maybe Marshall are maximising profits or maybe the price is up there as they want to pay more for a quality Chinese product.

All I'm saying is that it's probably best to try one before assuming that 'Marshall have stooped low'.
i played it today through my friend's mesa 1X12 mini rectifier cab with a V30, it sounded good, but it seemed to me that maybe there's too much treble, even with the treble knob almost on the lowest setting. is it just me? maybe i don't know yet how marshalls of this type, or this specefic amp should sound?
Quote by gania13
i played it today through my friend's mesa 1X12 mini rectifier cab with a V30, it sounded good, but it seemed to me that maybe there's too much treble, even with the treble knob almost on the lowest setting. is it just me? maybe i don't know yet how marshalls of this type, or this specefic amp should sound?

V30's are very bright speakers with the emphasis being on the mid-high frequency's.

And the 800 is a fairly bright circuit.

I use Celestion G12h30's for my Marshall in a 2x12 and Eminence V12's in a 4x12. I also have a Eminence GB128 (greenback clone) in a 1x12.

They all seem to work with my Marshall and my Krank 1980Jr which is a 2ch, 20watt hotrod JCM800 type amp. The V12 is a nice mellow speaker with more emphasis on the mid range and low-mids.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 12, 2015,
^Pretty much this.
V30s have this very pronounced upper mid, which is really nice to have in a band-context, but outside of it it's not for everyone. It's kind of the defining characteristic of that speaker, no other 12"er (that I know of) has that frequency spike to the same extent.

Keep in mind that the mini-Recto-cab is a closed back 1x12, and as such will have a pretty subdued low-end. That makes the sound tighter, but it also may make the V30 sound more nasal and harsh then it'd have to. Imo that speaker sounds much better in an open-back cab.

I can also vouch for the G12H30 for general rock music purposes. However, I think that for thrash metal, the GB12, V12 or a G12T75 might be better still.
Quote by gania13

That's kind of a standard Marshall characteristic. Slices like butter through mix but you might want an open back cab to get a little more ooomph. Eminence and Jensen speakers are more neutral, the Celestions overall have pronounced mids, the T75 is probably better if going with Celestions.
An Eminence Legend (ie V1216 or V128) should tame the top end nicely. They work very well with toppy amps like 800's and SLO's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
An Eminence Legend (ie V1216 or V128) should tame the top end nicely. They work very well with toppy amps like 800's and SLO's.

+1

A Randall cab I used to own had legends, and they were quite nice with my Jet City. Similarish to V30's, with less punch, and a smoother top end.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
agreed.

Just as cath pointed out, make sure it's the right Legend- the v128 or v1216. There are other legend models which are completely different speakers and which sound completely different (or at least as different as different speakers can sound).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got V1216's in my RM100. They are great with my Marshall and SLO modules, not so good with the Fender one. All I use now are my SLO modules and well, V1216's are what SLO cabs had. But they also sound great with my Marshall module which I run in JCM800 mode.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah i like them with my jet city. iirc i liked them with my laney as well (and maybe the engl too, i forget), but i generally just run them with the jet city since they really suit it. i can't remember if i ever tried them with anything more fendery but i can't imagine them really suiting it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by red.guitar

I find my mesa sounds great where ever I place it (its on castors) by my Orange 412 is super finicky, and has to be placed so the rails running on the bottom are making direct contact with the floor.

Not long after I got the 412, one day after I brought it home from practice, I just threw it on top of my Mesa to save floor space. I hadn't had my Orange amp long, and the next time I plugged into, it sounded super shitty compared to before. I fucked with all the settings, but it didn't sound right until I put in back on the concrete floor.

You'll want to do a bit of research into Acoustic Coupling and Mechanical Coupling. These phenomena can greatly increase low mids "boominess" depending on positioning relative to the floor/walls, etc. That's true of almost any speaker.

You're probably also aware that 412s (in particular) beam treble -- a lot -- and if you're usually off-axis, you won't hear anywhere near as much of that as if the center of the cabinet is pointing at your ear (sitting on top of the Mesa). If you're directly inline with the center of the cabinet, you're likely to hear a LOT more treble.
If you don't care about monies, get a 2x12, they sound way more.

Oh yeah this guy knows!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."