Here's the deal, I decided on a whim to give a go around with a Seymour Duncan Invader. Plopped it into my HSS Fender Strat. Got the wiring schematic from the SD website, followed the directions, solder connections are tight (though I admit I'm not the best at soldering). In fact, I've re-soldered several times now, just because I keep thinking that somewhere something has to be messed up.

This thing is sounding like tinny, twangy, dog feces. Granted, I put new strings on, so it's a lot brighter than just that. It's supposed to be a rather thick, heavy mid-range, powerful pickup. But, it's a loud and ear stabbing no low end bunch of treble and twang wtf thing. This thing is rivaling my single coil telecaster for crying out loud. I've switched cables just in case, got no balls out of my classic 50 or 6505 - just twang and tin.

All I can figure is that:

1. This is just the way it sounds. If so, holy schnikes, this thing is bad. Unlikely.
2. I'm doing something wrong. (Probably)
3. I've got a defective pickup. (Multi-Meter suggests otherwise)

Black wire is soldered to the 5 way switch.
Red and White wire are soldered together and wrapped up.
Green and exposed are soldered to the volume pot.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Dec 9, 2015,
It sounds like it's somehow wired in a way that's only recieving signals from one of the single coils at a time from the humbucker? That's the only thing I can really think of if you describe the sound as tele twang.
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 8, 2015,
My best guess is that I'm having some kind of polarity/phasing issue. So, I'm doing something wrong haha.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
In a 5 way I don't think the Red and White are soldered together. Looking at the wiring diagram the Red and White are soldered to the 5 way, could be why it's thin sounding. Just my 2 cents, could be wrong though.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Last edited by rickster100 at Dec 9, 2015,
Quote by ThunderPunk
My best guess is that I'm having some kind of polarity/phasing issue. So, I'm doing something wrong haha.

A pickup can't be out of phase with itself (well, it can be, but SD wouldn't have that issue) so that's not the issue. Make sure to check the pickup height. Ive put it an Invader in my strat; it's very hot, and muddy all across the spectrum. IMO one of the worst sounding pickups out there. Maybe you do have it wired correctly. Another user said that maybe you have it wired to only use one coil: to find out, tap on the pole pieces with a screwdriver; if it only makes a sound on half of them, that's your issue.
It's a wiring issue of some sort. Both coils were working (they just sounded bad), and according to the multi-meter the humbucker is fine. Height adjustment didn't do anything but make it louder and quieter, but had no impact on its lack of not pointy piercing treble frequencies. Probably bad connection/cold solder joint. That or I didn't tape things up thick enough and something is touching something it shouldn't be. I am going to turn it over to a friend who is better at running the soldering iron than I am. I just don't do it often enough to be well skilled in the art, nor are my tools the best for the task. I took a whack at it, but rather than spend more time huffing lead fumes, makes more sense to buy a friend some beer and have him do the job.
Something wrong with the humbucker, I believe. Again. I put my old Duncan Distortion back into the guitar and everything is sounding good again. So, back to the music store the invader goes.
You've wired it correctly. I've put the Invader in one of my guitars and one for a friends, and we both thought it was a trebly piece of garbage. Sorry to say, friend, I think you might just not like the sound of the invader. I sure didn't.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Just pay some guitar center tech to fix it to save yourself the headache. I paid 75 for two pickups.....i didnt buy the pickups though. But for the peace of mind and the guarentee it would work it was worth it. Stayed at the store for like a week tho but dam does my guitar sound good now. And any strange fix that you would find here they would figure and fix for you.