I'm beginning guitar recording at home. I'm fairly familiar with the basic process. I want a DAW that isn't too expensive and is simple to use. I don't do crazy audio editing. most i do is some eq tinkering and high/low pass filtering.
thanks!
Look up Tracktion, I think ver.4 is even given up for free:
http://tracktion.com/
One screen easy flow interface, you can pair that with some freeware amp sims like Nick Crow or LePou and impulse loaders for cab emulation and you'd be good to go.
Just recorded this with T5 yesterday:
https://soundcloud.com/egregoreband/bdorian-improv-1

You can also look at these which are low cost, good bang for the buck:
Studio One Artist
Mixcraft
Reaper
N-Track
Energy-XT

You can also use Audacity if you're recording a track at a time, no realtime vst support though.
Download the free trial of everything and decide what you like best, it's only a matter of preference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Can't recommend Reaper enough, it's free and should have everything you need.
I used Reaper before, it was great and simple, had everything I needed. But after I bought my new Lexicon Alpha soundcard, I just couldn't manage to make it to hear myself while playing.

Now I'm using Cubase 5 Limited Edition. Got it for free with the new soundcard.

I recommend both. Cubase isn't free though.
Quote by diabolical
Really?
It is not free, last I checked they had $60 hobbyist license and $300 professional license.

You just download the trial version and it does a countdown when you open the program and then you can proceed to use it without the license. You really only need the license if you want to sell your stoof
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by diabolical
Really?
It is not free, last I checked they had $60 hobbyist license and $300 professional license.

Quote by Watterboy
You just download the trial version and it does a countdown when you open the program and then you can proceed to use it without the license. You really only need the license if you want to sell your stoof

^Yup, no need to buy any of the licenses as long as you're just doing home recording without selling what you're making with Reaper.
Last edited by DanyFS at Dec 10, 2015,
OP,

I'd definitely say Reaper. I've been working with Logic lately, as well as Studio One, but I think Reaper is just plain better.

Quote by diabolical
For those that think Reaper is "free":
http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

They don't cripple the DAW after the trial period. I used mine a long, long time before paying for a license. Well worth it though.
Do you have an audio interface? Usually they come with a light version of DAW. Stick with it.
If not, I recommend you Cockos Reaper. It is 60$ and comes with a tones of plugins.
If you are working on the Mac platform, you can not get any better than Logic Pro ($199). For the recording guitarist there is nothing that offers amp simulators and pedalboard effects that are actually musical out of the box along with with professional level eq, compressor/limiters, reverbs, delays, modulation, drums/ backing drummer emulation, and more and it's all for $199. Combine this with a audio interface you have a serious hi fi guitar rig with a DAW that puts Pro Tools to shame and is now as easy as Garageband (you can import Garageband sessions directly into Logic Pro with all the same instruments settings). This kills everything else. Mic dropped!!!
I honestly never liked Logic that much but there is another DAW that is Mac only, Digital Performer. I've done a few projects on that and especially midi programming and humanization on it can't be beat. The thing with most DAWs is that if you buy an interface with a light version of some software, if you don't like it, you can always get a crossgrade from another manufacturer for a lower price than the full, something to keep in mind.
Quote by diabolical
I honestly never liked Logic that much but there is another DAW that is Mac only, Digital Performer. I've done a few projects on that and especially midi programming and humanization on it can't be beat. The thing with most DAWs is that if you buy an interface with a light version of some software, if you don't like it, you can always get a crossgrade from another manufacturer for a lower price than the full, something to keep in mind.

Yea, I feel Logic is limited compared to some others. Haven't tried Digital Performer yet.
I've used Sonar 8, and X2 Producer Editions. While you'll expect to pay between $300-500 for the lastest version, it comes with a multitude of plugins that will cost you more in the end, if you get them individually. You can find it on Ebay on the cheap. Just make sure the seller transfers over the license or has deactivated it. Sonar 8 work really well on an I7 platform. I would only install the 32-bit version, though. It works well on a 64-bit machine.
Mac? Garageband. Fast, easy to use with tons of virtual drums and other instruments and DSPs that sound great. Record or compose anywhere on your iphone ot ipad and transfer the tracks easily to your laptop to add live guitar, vocals, then mix and master.

For project studio or demos by a beginner this is a slam dunk. As you gain in skill and sophistication you can transfer tracks easily to Logic or ProTools for film scores or other pro applications.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY