I was just pondering the above question lately. I won't go through with it but I'm just really curious as to whether or not it would work/ work good.
well when the battery dies the pickup still works to a degree but they generally sound like shit. in order for the pickup to work properly it needs the on board preamp to boost the signal so running it passive won't really work.
You won't get any usable sound. You can't run an 81 without power. Running it straight into a 500K pot is not any sort of solution. It's like putting water in a car engine because you're out of gas. The problem isn't that you need more liquid in the tank; it needs something a bit more specific.
It's not the electronics in your setup, its the magnets in your pickup. They require power to run properly.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Quote by troyofyort
It's not the electronics in your setup, its the magnets in your pickup. They require power to run properly.

No
100% false
Active pups need a battery because they use an onboard clean boost to up the output
NOT because the magnets need power
It's still just a permanent magnet wrapped in copper wire
Is it possible to run it through a passive circuit? Sure.

But it won't work.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
EMG pickups do NEED to run off a battery ( the output without a battery is extremely Low and the sound is flat ) BUT EMG pickups don't uses the battery like a Toy car or cpu or something, a single 9 volt battery lasts hundreds of hours,

I'm guessing the V9 is more getting more power from the pickup magnet ( like a electromagnetelectromagnet )
there more going on inside a EMG pickup then just amplifying the pickup signal.

what the reason you need or want to uses a EMG without the battery ?
I have about 20 guitars with EMG excellent pickups

OH IMO - Seymour Duncan blackouts on the other hand I swear there's a Amplifier and a distortion pedal in them, there Fu%K'N Angry Pickups =)
Quote by Roc8995
That is some authentic frontier gibberish right there.

+1

OP- just buy a damn battery. i have had some last five or more years. in case you don't know, the battery is draining whenever the jack is plugged in. so make sure you unplug if you aren't playing it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Roc8995

Drain Bamage.
This made me wonder, can you run a normal pickup trough the active curcuit of the EMG's? What would it sound like/would it blow up?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Roc8995

Mel Brooks fan?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by gorkyporky
This made me wonder, can you run a normal pickup trough the active curcuit of the EMG's? What would it sound like/would it blow up?

Don't know what it would sound like, but it would be obsolete since passive pickups don't have an onboard preamp, they have nothing a battery could power.
Oh ok. Im dont really know how they work anyway, from what i gather there is a preamp in the pickup that has to be powered by the battery? But what does the small control curcuit do that you have to install in the guitar? Is it just used to route battery power and switch the pickups?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
You can't run active pickups through a passive circuit and get any sort of sound.
You can't run passive pickups through electronics meant for active pickups.
You can buy an active preamp for passive pickups.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by gorkyporky
Oh ok. Im dont really know how they work anyway, from what i gather there is a preamp in the pickup that has to be powered by the battery? But what does the small control curcuit do that you have to install in the guitar? Is it just used to route battery power and switch the pickups?

? There is no control or circuits out side the pickup?

The negative from the battery goes to ground and positive goes to the pickup all the rest of the wiring is standard guitar wiring.
Quote by gorkyporky

Yes you can. Seymour Duncan sells preamps that can be connected to any pickup regardless of passive or active
Quote by jimmysilvers18
Yes you can. Seymour Duncan sells preamps that can be connected to any pickup regardless of passive or active

+1 so does EMG and fender.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/