Hi all... I believe it is a very tough question...

I have been playing for 18 years... I have been always owning one guitar... I used to sell one and buy another... Just this year I got a new guitar deciding to keep the old one.. I play both... and It seems like I opened an endless loop of passion to guitar buying

I am saving to get a Gibson Les Paul and have the plan to get a Fender later... My wife thinks that I lost my mind... but I really came up to a conclusion... which is the answer to my question in the subject... it is one.. or infinity... once you get out of the single guitar theme... you can't stop.. you will keep buying more guitars till you have no space or no money...

What do you think ??
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
I have a few electrics and they are all different so I have the variety. I have a PRS, LP clone, G&L ASAT, SG, Tele kit build and an Ibanez JS.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 9, 2015,
Enough guitars can always be defined by the formula:

e = n +1

Where e = enough and n = how many guitars you currently own
I have 2 Gibson Les Paul standards, 1 LP studio, 1 sg standard, 1 sg standard with p90s, epi 1959 LP

No it's not enough !! This is all living proof that advertising works !
I've got a LP Junior, a Fender Telecaster and 3 acoustics...I feel the electric:acoustic ratio is off a little and I'm not a fan.
I think there's a difference between 'enough' and 'too many'. For example, I think for myself somewhere around five would definitely be enough, however I'm now at 26 and have yet to reach 'too many'
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Got 8 guitars use them all, and always looking to buy more. I like being versatile in the gear i use, that's why i have them.
Quote by mockbel

I am saving to get a Gibson Les Paul and have the plan to get a Fender later... My wife thinks that I lost my mind...
What do you think ??

I think your wife is right.

That's okay; MY wife has started a support group for "Soon-to-be-widows of crazy-ass guitar accumulators."

I'm a little nervous about that title, though.
I think the important part is to be able to cover all your bases. For example I have 7 guitars.

One 6 string acoustic, one 12 string, one godin acoustic/electric hybrid, one strat, one prs, a shitty acoustic for campfires, a classical and a bass.

So even though this is a lot of guitars, none of them are really redundant so it makes sense.

On the other hand if I had 7 guitars but they were all Les Pauls or all strats, that would make a whole lot less sense to me.
The most I've owned at one time is 6. A 7 string, an 8 string, a 6 string acoustic and 3 6 string electrics in different tunings. Now I only have 2 6 string electrics and an acoustic. For me it was always about what tunings I use on a regular basis that require different string gauges. My Electra gets swapped between Estandard, drop D, DADGAD, and half step down of those 3 on 10-52s. My Gibson is for D standard, C standard and B standard and the drop tunings of any of those on 12-60s. Even B standard is rare but if I used it more regularly I'd probably buy a baritone or just a longer scale guitar.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Got 18 at this time, could have a few more without problems.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
However many guitars you want, that you can afford, that won't interfere with your life in a negative manner.

Quote by flexiblemile
I think the important part is to be able to cover all your bases. So even though this is a lot of guitars, none of them are really redundant so it makes sense.

This is also a good way to look at it. That being said, I own a lot of guitars that are similar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Over 20 guitars now.

I play in 2 fairly different tunings, so to avoid tuning back & forth- including swapping string guages, setup changes, etc., I decided to buy multiple guitars.

I have at least one acoustic tuned to each...but I don't have an acoustic of each kind for each tuning. That needs correcting.

I have 2 hollowbodies, one tuned to each, but one is HH and one is SSS. I need to rectify that.

I am in a similar position with semihollows, owning one HH that is splittable and another that has 3 P90s, so again there are gaps.

And the only fretless I own is a 4 string acoustic-electric bass in standard tuning, so you KNOW I have room for improvement.

I'm on pretty good grounds with solidbodies, with guitars covering much of the spectrum, but even so, there are gaps. No SSS of any kind. None with piezos. Those with P90s mix them with other pickups. So far, only one guitar has miniHBs. And another with a Charlie Christian.

Oh, and I only have a few guitars with tremolos.

Soooo...I need...maybe another 20 or so?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Over 20 guitars now.

I play in 2 fairly different tunings, so to avoid tuning back & forth- including swapping string guages, setup changes, etc., I decided to buy multiple guitars.

I have at least one acoustic tuned to each...but I don't have an acoustic of each kind for each tuning. That needs correcting.

I have 2 hollowbodies, one tuned to each, but one is HH and one is SSS. I need to rectify that.

I am in a similar position with semihollows, owning one HH that is splittable and another that has 3 P90s, so again there are gaps.

And the only fretless I own is a 4 string acoustic-electric bass in standard tuning, so you KNOW I have room for improvement.

I'm on pretty good grounds with solidbodies, with guitars covering much of the spectrum, but even so, there are gaps. No SSS of any kind. None with piezos. Those with P90s mix them with other pickups. So far, only one guitar has miniHBs. And another with a Charlie Christian.

Oh, and I only have a few guitars with tremolos.

Soooo...I need...maybe another 20 or so?

Really? Not even a some sort of Stratish thing? That's a surprise!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yep. Oddly, my one Stratclone is HSS, so my sole SSS is that big fat "butterbean" hollowbody JKG with Alumitones.

And I don't know if that will ever change, either. If I look at my guitar gear wish lists, the closest I come to rectifying that is more Stratclones...HSS or P90SS ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yep. Oddly, my one Stratclone is HSS, so my sole SSS is that big fat "butterbean" hollowbody JKG with Alumitones.

And I don't know if that will ever change, either. If I look at my guitar gear wish lists, the closest I come to rectifying that is more Stratclones...HSS or P90SS ones.

P-90SS would be friggin' wicked anyway. I might even like that better than a conventional SSS setup.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
P-90SS would be friggin' wicked anyway. I might even like that better than a conventional SSS setup.

I know of 2 companies producing P90SS guitars right now- Fret-King has a few and Italia has the Modulo Type 3.

In fact, my Stratclone was going to be a FK with that configuration- in tangerine, no less- but Frets Guitar Centre sold out of them. I reeeeeealy wanted a Stratclone at the time, so I got the HSS version of it. (The cool folks at FGC even give me an additional discount to sweeten the deal.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I know of 2 companies producing P90SS guitars right now- Fret-King has a few and Italia has the Modulo Type 3.

In fact, my Stratclone was going to be a FK with that configuration- in tangerine, no less- but Frets Guitar Centre sold out of them. I reeeeeealy wanted a Stratclone at the time, so I got the HSS version of it. (The cool folks at FGC even give me an additional discount to sweeten the deal.)

If I didn't have amp building plans soon I'd have a Corona GWR or an Elise GG.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If I didn't have amp building plans soon I'd have a Corona GWR or an Elise GG.

I freaking drool over the GG all the damn time. Soooo packed with features: a semihollow with a HB, P90, and a blendable piezo?

But I also wants that natural mahogany Esprit with the 2 HBs.

FWIW, here's a picture of a tangerine Super 60 SP someone auctioned off a while back...
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fret-king-super-60-sp-gigbag-near-453796260

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Enough guitars can always be defined by the formula:

e = n +1

Where e = enough and n = how many guitars you currently own

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have 23 electrics, and 5 classical.

i think you need to at least a strat, tele, LP, SG, super-strat, semi, and an acoustic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i currently have 4 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 bass. clearly not enough

no right answer to ? if you can afford tehm and have a place to keep them then get as may as you want. a good friend of mine is up to 34 and he has guitars that most of us would kill for ( CS Jeff Beck, top of the line Steve Vai etc). he calls me at least twice a year to ask what i think about yet another guitar. he plays them so it's all good.

oh and the only potentially correct answer is 1 less than your wife will kill you for having
Quote by monwobobbo
oh and the only potentially correct answer is 1 less than your wife will kill you for having

I'd say go for 2 less - sooner or later the temptation's going to get the better of you and the extra life could just give you the time to write your will

For real, though, buy as many guitars as you can afford, look after, and play.

I had numerous cheap axes, sold them off to get my Tele and I love it so much my next will probably also be a Tele. After that there's a P-90 Strat I have my eye on...

Simple as: If you want a guitar, and you'll play the guitar, and you can afford the guitar without sacrificing anything important to you, go for it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Enough guitars? Really dude? It's never enough! Never! Ever! I have 8 guitars, Some are big money, others, not so much! My #1 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, my # last a Yamaha $199 bass. My in between guitar # in between LTD ESP KH-602 I f**king love this guitar! My other big money guitar #2 ESP SnakeByte White, and its just sexy to look at, much less play and rock out on it! My next to last # Ibanez 7 string RG7420 is actually being sold tomorr.
Last edited by mcreel40 at Dec 9, 2015,
I'm too embarrassed to say how many I've got. If you play a single style/genre you could get by with one, and some enthusiastic players do just that. To cover my playing styles in reasonable comfort I could get by with three or four, but part of what keeps me interested and motivated is cycling though them. But even that can be trap, like digital multiFX, you can spend a lot of time mucking about with sounds instead of learning to play better.
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 9, 2015,
Quote by mockbel
Hi all... I believe it is a very tough question...

I have been playing for 18 years... I have been always owning one guitar... I used to sell one and buy another... Just this year I got a new guitar deciding to keep the old one.. I play both... and It seems like I opened an endless loop of passion to guitar buying

I am saving to get a Gibson Les Paul and have the plan to get a Fender later... My wife thinks that I lost my mind... but I really came up to a conclusion... which is the answer to my question in the subject... it is one.. or infinity... once you get out of the single guitar theme... you can't stop.. you will keep buying more guitars till you have no space or no money...

What do you think ??

However many you can hang/display/play without stacking 2/3 rows deep & without storing them in cases is enough. You better have a very large jam room
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
5 is, to me, really enough in a single household.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
I think the answer for how many guitars is enough is based on what you are doing with your guitars. If it's something you only do at home to satisfy yourself then a nice electric and a nice acoustic should do it. On the other end of the scale is a professional studio player who needs to have many different types of guitars available in order to accept any type of work in any style. Trashedlostup has it right in that case and an an active player who does studio work or full time gigs probably should have a Strat, a Tele, a Les Paul, a semi acoustic like an ES-335, an acoustic and a nylon string classical as a minimum.
Like Tony Done I am embarrassed by the number of guitars I own (see my icon that has grown by about four more since that pic. Half of them see very little action but I still enjoy owning them. I mentally justify my acquisitions because I do still play regular gigs (not as much as in the past but almost weekly) and the gig money does allow me to buy more stuff (guitars and other band related equipment) but in reality I really don't need another guitar. I just always want another guitar and it's funny how quickly my "wants" become my "needs".
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 10, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have 23 electrics, and 5 classical.

i think you need to at least a 5 strats.

ftfy
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I feel like there are huge diminishing returns on the "coolness factor" of having guitars. If you're that guy that has that one guitar, you're pretty cool. Two guitars, maybe an acoustic and electric? Now you're a serious guitarist and really cool. Three guitars? Well, maybe you gig and gotta have a backup. Still cool.

Then when you're the guy with 23 guitars you're just obsessed which way less cool than just having 1.

Me? I've got three. Soon to be four. Been playing 12 years.
You can only play one guitar at a time. I think everyone who is serious about guitar needs one electric and one acoustic.

My answer is 2.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Simple as: If you want a guitar, and you'll play the guitar, and you can afford the guitar without sacrificing anything important to you, go for it.

Pretty much this.

I'm very much a gear hound; sometimes I think I'm more interested in buying new guitars than I am in playing them. And unlike most people who want lots of varied guitars to cover all the bases, I tend to want to buy a whole bunch of similar guitars of the style that I like (Jackson DKs with maple fretboards), and keep them all in different tunings. There's no right or wrong answer.
I have three guitars now and one bass guitar. For me I attune myself to one guitar and that's all I will play I stay loyal and develop a intimate platonic monogamous relationship with inanimate objects, so right now my esp horizon e-ii fr guitar is my baby girl. Idk why I am like this with my guitars and other things but I can not pick up the other two guitars when this esp is the sex... maybe it's because my parents aren't divorced .
Enough guitars? Blasphemy! Stay away from me!

There is no such thing as enough.

It's called GAS...Guitar Acquisition Syndrome..

Once you get your second guitar it sets in. 3 and you're hooked, give it up. I only have 8 right now, 2 in need of work. 5 amps, about 8 or 9 pedals, a flute, 2 xylophones, a lap steel, a sax, a half dozen antique medicine bottles for slide, a couple of metal slide bars, a small PA mixer, mics, guitar stands, and all the related wires, patch cables, a wireless unit, tuners, mic stands....

it never ends. But it's never enough either...I need about a half dozen more guitars...then I'll need 3 or 4 more...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
7 guitars. 2 electric, 5 acoustic. I need to sell one of the electrics and 3 of the acoustics.
I'm starting to apply the equation e=n+1 to amps as well. Need to get a fender of some sort, then a 6506mh, and an EVH 5150LBX, and a Mesa mark 5:25 etc...........