Hi guys

Would anybody happen know if the single coils on the hh Tele sound similar to those in the regular version when split?

Also, would you recommend the HH and why?
thanks
Split HBs don't sound exactly like singlecoils. However, IME, the better the HB being split, the more like a singlecoil it sounds when you use that feature. Some of my splittable HBs don't sound very singlecoilish at all. Others sound very much so...at least, to me.

As for what I'd recommend, I'd say it depends on your playing needs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Split HBs don't sound exactly like singlecoils. However, IME, the better the HB being split, the more like a singlecoil it sounds when you use that feature. Some of my splittable HBs don't sound very singlecoilish at all. Others sound very much so...at least, to me.

Well I like to play a lot of 90s style high fuzz alt rock (Faith no more, Weezer, smashing pumpkins, nirvana, etc and dabblea bit in 60s-70s Rock i.e. Doors, Hendrix, Beatles, beach boys etc
It might be good enough.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

So back to the question, has anyone heard both?
How far off is the sound of the original ss version compared to the split hh
U say that it's not exactly the same sound, but if I were to play it to a blind person, would there be any way that they'd realize it's a Tele?
Last edited by Fenderinooo at Dec 9, 2015,
The more experience you have hearing each, the easier it is to tell them apart.

But again, it depends a great deal on the particular pickups. Right now, for instance, more companies are making HBs that are literally 2 singlecoils housed in one HB casing. This means, when split, the pickup exactly delivers the sound of a standard singlecoil...because an actual standard singlecoil is what is in the circuit.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

But again, it depends a great deal on the particular pickups. Right now, for instance, more companies are making HBs that are literally 2 singlecoils housed in one HB casing. This means, when split, the pickup exactly delivers the sound of a standard singlecoil...because an actual standard singlecoil is what is in the circuit.

Hmm... I see.

Well, I'm not sure if you'd be able to tell, but with pickups like these, is that what you mean by two single coils making a HB??
(Invalid img)
Nah, you can't tell by just looking. That two-tone look is a pretty common aesthetic, even in regular HBs.

You'd have to actually find out the particular model of HB and check its specs. Maybe send an email to the manufacturer.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Wait a minute... I don't get this. As far as I know, the construction of humbuckers is basically two adjacent single coils which have opposite polarity, right? So what makes them so different in terms of sound and output intensity compared to "standard" SC pickups?

And BTW, I've never seen a tele with HH config., is it a copy tele?
Quote by dannyalcatraz

depends on how hot the humbucker is, too. if you have a humbucker with roughly twice the output of a single coil, it'll sound closer. assuming the tone is in the ballpark.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aozen
Wait a minute... I don't get this. As far as I know, the construction of humbuckers is basically two adjacent single coils which have opposite polarity, right? So what makes them so different in terms of sound and output intensity compared to "standard" SC pickups?

A standard HB is actually a single assembly with the wires being wound around 2 magnets of opposite polarity. Splitting them is just a trick of wiring.

What some companies are doing right now is taking two actual single coil pickups and placing them in a single housing.

One example would be the Rio Grande Dirty Harry series. The Dirty Harry is a singlecoil-sized P90. The Dirty Harry HB is two of those wired together, so when the HB is split, you get the same exact sound of the standard DH...because that is exactly what you're using at that moment.

The Dean Zelinsky Sidekick HB does the same thing with standard singlecoils. I think Lollar and some others are doing similar products.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 9, 2015,
Quote by aozen

Nope. It's a mex standard telecaster HH
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nah, you can't tell by just looking. That two-tone look is a pretty common aesthetic, even in regular HBs.

You'd have to actually find out the particular model of HB and check its specs. Maybe send an email to the manufacturer.

I'm reading the item description and reviews here and it seems to be going in the gist of what you mentioned. I think lol.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSTHHOWRW
One last thing.

This is a completely dumb question, but just to be certain, do the other mex HH fender range guitars sound different? I.e. Would a Tele HH, strat HH, Jazzmaster HH all sound the same but Have different bodies or would they (to an extent) resemble their mex made single coil counter parts?
There will be some differences. They won't be wired quite the same, there will be some tonal variations created by the materials used, and- in all likelihood- they won't use exactly the same humbuckers.

A HH Tele will sound nothing like a traditional tele when split. If you need that sound, there's no way to get it besides getting a regular tele.
But would it still have any sort of fender tone to it? I guess what I mean is, would people know it was some sort of fender guitar just by hearing it?
Eric Johnson would...5 parsecs away in the vaccuum of space.

Some experienced guitar players would be able to tell as well.

Joe Schmoe in the audience probably wouldn't.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Eric Johnson would...5 parsecs away in the vaccuum of space.

Some experienced guitar players would be able to tell as well.

Joe Schmoe in the audience probably wouldn't.

Meh... Most Joe schmoes wouldn't know the difference between a Gibson les Paul and a squire budget strat