So I was planning on getting a relatively cheap used 7 string like an Ibanez rg7321 or an esp ltd mh207 and modding the complete shit out of it. The catch is my budget is around $500 totall. I can do all installation and painting need be. Just throw out some ideas I guess...
schecter is owned by ESP , dont forget about them , I really liked this C7 standard series I had, the only complaint people would have about it is the pickups as they couldn't find enough 10/10 reviews on them on here or musiciansfriend . Agile can be nice too but getting one used is harder.

if you plan to tune low a 26.5 scale neck or 27 is much superior no matter how heavy a gauge of strings y ou put on a 7 string the longer necks in my opinion you get lower tunings that work out of them which is why bass necks are 30+ inches.

18:1 tuners , brands such as gotoh , schaller , grover or sperzel
a graphtech tusq nut
strings really make or break a guitar , pure nickle for more bass , but good luck finding a 7 string set , steel for brightness , nickle plated steel is balanced.

if you stick to active
Seymour Duncan Blackouts or the EMG 57/66 set

EMG offers a wide variety of active preamps to boost, shape or change the sound of the pickups

if you go passive
copper shielding tape for clarity i swear by
if the pots are 500k (originally passive pickups in a guitar) keep it that way
push pulls , super 5 way switches , many passive modded tone controls you could easily pull off (i do custom wirings and can email you a schematic)

bridge wise , depends on the model of guitar you go with

qparts.com for custom knobs and strap locks
axetremecreations.com for custom pickguards and all

for strange paint jobs if you live in america, they have many types not just this kind in the first link , like chrome like the crystal planet era guitars joe satriani had and so forth - http://alsacorp.com/crazer/
i can think of a million ideas , but this is the base of it
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 9, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
schecter is owned by ESP , dont forget about them , I really liked this C7 standard series I had, the only complaint people would have about it is the pickups as they couldn't find enough 10/10 reviews on them on here or musiciansfriend . Agile can be nice too but getting one used is harder.

if you plan to tune low a 26.5 scale neck or 27 is much superior no matter how heavy a gauge of strings y ou put on a 7 string the longer necks in my opinion you get lower tunings that work out of them which is why bass necks are 30+ inches.

18:1 tuners , brands such as gotoh , schaller , grover or sperzel
a graphtech tusq nut
strings really make or break a guitar , pure nickle for more bass , but good luck finding a 7 string set , steel for brightness , nickle plated steel is balanced.

if you stick to active
Seymour Duncan Blackouts or the EMG 57/66 set

EMG offers a wide variety of active preamps to boost, shape or change the sound of the pickups

if you go passive
copper shielding tape for clarity i swear by
if the pots are 500k (originally passive pickups in a guitar) keep it that way
push pulls , super 5 way switches , many passive modded tone controls you could easily pull off (i do custom wirings and can email you a schematic)

bridge wise , depends on the model of guitar you go with

qparts.com for custom knobs and strap locks
axetremecreations.com for custom pickguards and all

for strange paint jobs if you live in america, they have many types not just this kind in the first link , like chrome like the crystal planet era guitars joe satriani had and so forth - http://alsacorp.com/crazer/
i can think of a million ideas , but this is the base of it

Thanks for all that effort put into that reply but
1. I prefer 25.5 scale for everything and anything as I enjoy the slinkier feel
2. I like esp better than schecter because I abhor tune-o-matic bridges and esp has a much larger selection of guitars with normal individual saddle adjustable bridges
3. I am dead set on going passive for sure, I'll have to make up my mind to spend more for Bareknuckles or settle on some Duncans.
4. Good idea with the shielding knobs and pickguards, I was planning on getting coil tap and stuff too maybe replacing the pots with 750k? or something to get some extra well needed brightness.

Basically my best bet is an Ibanez rg7321, get a used seymour duncan set, replace tuners pots and nut, coil tap,paint if neccessary, shielding is a possability, and a nice set of strings and set the thing in drop G/G#.

Thanks for the input
with slinky feel it's strange I just use light strings , but I totally see why you'd want to have a 25.5 scale, in fact it makes it easier to find a 7 string in most cases. The only question is how thick of a neck would you want. 750k I doubt there is such thing , i know you can bump right up to 1m (1000k), but now this is where linear pots come in handy.

I remember years ago when I'd buy and sell guitars I had this one guy trying out a Jackson guitar and he kept messing with the volume to make it darker when he needed it dark, it made so much sense. Why I'd suggest linear though is simple; 5 is very close to 500k (1/2 the pots resistance) as when you turn a linear pot down it is smooth and predictable. So 7.5 would be 750k approximately as pots tend to be a little more or less in resistance like say this Ibanez I got to wire up this week the 25k pot was 23.5k , said 25, but that is what tolerance is in a pot... anyways ... that is getting wayy too technical.

That is true ESP does have a better selection of 7 strings, I was actually looking at 7 strings and saw a multi-scale agile 7 string for 499.99 US dollar with a rosewood fretboard 25.5 to 27 scale I am so tempted to buy. This is it, but agile has a lot of good guitars, they dont pay me to say it , this is conversation.
http://www.rondomusic.com/pend72527rnblkflm.html

with pickups play the guitar and see what it needs , pure nickle strings i mention this a lot on here but pure nickle strings for example give me more darkness. Steel more brightness, this of course is without getting into picks, as for brands try some out. International people I talk to I mention stringsandbeyond.com as say in Canada our equivalent to guitar center is a joke. There was 2-4 seven strings and one 8.

but for a custom wiring if you need any help send me a private message
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 10, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
with slinky feel it's strange I just use light strings , but I totally see why you'd want to have a 25.5 scale, in fact it makes it easier to find a 7 string in most cases. The only question is how thick of a neck would you want. 750k I doubt there is such thing , i know you can bump right up to 1m (1000k), but now this is where linear pots come in handy.

I remember years ago when I'd buy and sell guitars I had this one guy trying out a Jackson guitar and he kept messing with the volume to make it darker when he needed it dark, it made so much sense. Why I'd suggest linear though is simple; 5 is very close to 500k (1/2 the pots resistance) as when you turn a linear pot down it is smooth and predictable. So 7.5 would be 750k approximately as pots tend to be a little more or less in resistance like say this Ibanez I got to wire up this week the 25k pot was 23.5k , said 25, but that is what tolerance is in a pot... anyways ... that is getting wayy too technical.

That is true ESP does have a better selection of 7 strings, I was actually looking at 7 strings and saw a multi-scale agile 7 string for 499.99 US dollar with a rosewood fretboard 25.5 to 27 scale I am so tempted to buy. This is it, but agile has a lot of good guitars, they dont pay me to say it , this is conversation.
http://www.rondomusic.com/pend72527rnblkflm.html

with pickups play the guitar and see what it needs , pure nickle strings i mention this a lot on here but pure nickle strings for example give me more darkness. Steel more brightness, this of course is without getting into picks, as for brands try some out. International people I talk to I mention stringsandbeyond.com as say in Canada our equivalent to guitar center is a joke. There was 2-4 seven strings and one 8.

but for a custom wiring if you need any help send me a private message
Hey thanks for all the help man I need it
I've installed a bass cut tone control on my 7 string and plan on adding it to my other one as well. I use it all the time for cleaning up riffs with heavy distortion.
Don't forget Washburn as well, the Paralaxe:
http://www.amazon.com/Washburn-PX-SOLAR170C-Signature-7-String-Solid-Body/dp/B00I5QGJY2/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1449820903&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A486315011%2Cp_89%3AWashburn

Fernandes also, I think they had the Revolver which is 7 string.

Sterling guitars are worth a look as they're the lower arm of Music Man.
i've heard good things about the paralax, i'm glad to see washburn get some recognition the renegade series with the composite fretboard, grovers , buzz feiten system on the nut (swear it was bone) and the thing had stainless steel frets for under 700$ give or take new. The pickups I wish I measured egnator/randal made them.

before Ola Englund the youtube guy got his washburn signature he was dealing with a smaller company called strictly 7 guitars; i bought a guitar off one of the employees in a mcdonalds because it was so cold out , gotta love craigslist, anyways, i meet the guy and he shows me a prototype they either sent to ola or were about to. It was much different than what he played in his videos the guy wanted 1900$ for it.