I mean come on, they cost about four times as much as the standard string packs in my local shop for some reason, guess that's weird. Are they really four times the string? Anyone got any experience with them? Admittedly I'm often tempted but I don't think I'm ready to be underwhelmed at four times the price. I hold D'addario in high regard and trust but should NYXL really be a thing?
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 11, 2015,
I use regular Daddario I don't see a need to change what I've used for 20+ years now with no issues.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's horses for courses. They have a different sound to them being entirely stainless steel. I tried them in the beta testing and they were pretty good. They hold their sound longer, have no stretch time after putting them on, stay in tune better and are slightly brighter. Downside is they wreck your frets if they aren't SS as well. Up to you if they're worth the price.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Robbgnarly
I use regular Daddario I don't see a need to change what I've used for 20+ years now with no issues.

Same here 9's & 10's. Those NYXL's are $12 a pack... I buy the 25 sets bulk box between 60-70 bucks so what's that 6 sets of those NYXL's. Nah.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 9, 2015,
I've been a d'addario 9's man for 6 years
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
I've been a d'addario 9's man for 6 years

You ever have a problem with their strings call George, they take care of there customers.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Who cares. Strings are strings.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I might lean further on the side of quantity than quality. I make a pair of D'Addarios last months. I don't like buying strings and I hate restringing. Paying twice as much as a normal pack isn't cool with me. I have tried them. Nice. Twice the price nice? Nope.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I use them. They're just a slightly nicer version of the regular strings.

If you're worried about the cost going in, they're probably not going to be your string. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars on strings so I get the NYXLs. I don't see why they shouldn't "be a thing," whatever that means. They're a decent product, regardless of the existence of cheaper options.
I'd hate to be that guy who has very acidic sweat and no matter how attentive his cleaning after each play, sting change after a few times is a must.
My newest addition,
Yup. Some people have bad luck with body composition. I hear that drinking coffee tends to make it worse.
Quote by Roc8995
I use them. They're just a slightly nicer version of the regular strings.

If you're worried about the cost going in, they're probably not going to be your string. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars on strings so I get the NYXLs. I don't see why they shouldn't "be a thing," whatever that means. They're a decent product, regardless of the existence of cheaper options.

Lol, I'm not worried about the price. Just wondering if people thought it was a fair price for what you get. Just out of interest really.
Here in Aus, just about all strings that aren't garbage are around the $20-$30 mark, so nothing's really cheap. Since strings aren't cheap, I'd rather spare an extra 5-10 bucks so I can get a better set anyway. Not that the standard Daddarios are bad, I like them, I just like NYXLs more, and the price difference here isn't all that great. Plus I get a slight discount from the store I go to, so I don't mind so much. If you try them and don't think they're worth the price, then just stick to other sets, if you like them and don't mind spending a bit more, then that answers your question.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
I have a set somewhere but I still haven't tried them. If they last 4 times longer than regular ones then I guess the price is justified. But I can't see myself sticking to them as I like changing strings and a fresh sound.

BTW, they are not stainless steel. From their site "The reformulated nickel-plated steel alloy boosts amplitude in the 1 kHz to 3.5 kHz range, modernizing overall tone, without ever losing that incredible nickel-plated steel feel you love."
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Lol, I'm not worried about the price. Just wondering if people thought it was a fair price for what you get. Just out of interest really.

Your first post seemed preoccupied with the price but perhaps I misunderstood.

Anyway, I think they're worth it but I'm not sure how useful that information is. With strings you really just have to try yourself.
Quote by Roc8995
Yup. Some people have bad luck with body composition. I hear that drinking coffee tends to make it worse.

You know, that could explain why a friend of mine has that problem. I'll mention it to him. Thanks.
My newest addition,
I always love how people complain about guitar string prices unknowing of how cheap they are. The entire rest of the music community is dropping $50 for the cheap ones, and we're crying our eyes out over money we drop on a burrito at Chipotle.

Guitar is fun, and 99.9999% of the time it's not a profit-making event. If you like the cheap ones, fine. If you want to have fun and try the new fun ones, do it! It'll be fun. Feeling superior to someone for supposedly having "the wool pulled over their eyes" for the, like, $7 you saved is dumb, and not worth the moral quandary.

That said, the NYXL's stay in tuned incredibly better after heavy tremolo use. I swapped over to using them from DR's because of that. I definitely recommend something like Fast Fret with them, though, because I think they're a tad sticky feeling out of the box.

Quote by sasquatchjosh96
I mean come on, they cost about four times as much as the standard string packs. Are they really four times the string? Anyone got any experience with them? Admittedly I'm often tempted but I don't think I'm ready to be underwhelmed at four times the price. I hold D'addario in high regard and trust but should NYXL really be a thing?

Regular EXL110's are $4.99.
The NYXL110's are $11.99.

That's not four times the price. Also, why are you so willing to pass judgement on their quality before you even try them?
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 10, 2015,
If you're paying 5 bucks for a set of regular Daddario's in the US, you're paying too much.
Quote by JustRooster
we're crying our eyes out over money we drop on a burrito at Chipotle.

That's not all ur drop'n son....

Haya ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !
My newest addition,
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 10, 2015,
I put a set o NYXLs on my PRS just to try them out. Nice strings and all, but not worth the extra cash IMHO.

Also, increased wear on my frets... very not worth it.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Yeah the fret wear is the biggest deal to me. I bet they're nice, but as it is I only change strings about every two months, I doubt that the NYXLs will buy much more. Maybe, but whatever.

The point is, they are worth it to people who have the issues that NYXLs cure. I don't have tuning stability issues, I don't want brighter strings, and I don't worry about how long my strings last. Others, however, feel differently.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
When I first tried them on all of my guitar, it kinda felt that they lasted longer(string life & tonally). But if you don't want to spend extra bucks for it, regular strings will do fine for ya.
Quote by dthmtl3
Why would there be more fret wear?

I think NYXLs are made of stainless steel. If you don't have SS frets as well, the strings will be harder on the frets, causing them to wear faster.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
I mean come on, they cost about four times as much as the standard string packs. Are they really four times the string? Anyone got any experience with them? Admittedly I'm often tempted but I don't think I'm ready to be underwhelmed at four times the price. I hold D'addario in high regard and trust but should NYXL really be a thing?

I've been handed several packs of those strings, tossed them on guitars, and then forgot which guitar had what. They weren't notable enough on their own to make an impression, and I doubt very much I'd pay a lot of money for them.
Quote by DanyFS
I think NYXLs are made of stainless steel. If you don't have SS frets as well, the strings will be harder on the frets, causing them to wear faster.

They're not SS.
Even if they were SS, I don't see why that would be harder on frets than...regular steel, that's assuming they are entirely made of ss.

EB's stainless steel strings are only ss-plated and the unwound strings are tin-plated, I doubt that would be harder on frets as well.
Quote by Roc8995
They're not SS.

Thought they were SS, also someone else on this thread mentioned it too. Thanks for the correction!
Quote by JustRooster
I always love how people complain about guitar string prices unknowing of how cheap they are. The entire rest of the music community is dropping $50 for the cheap ones, and we're crying our eyes out over money we drop on a burrito at Chipotle.

Guitar is fun, and 99.9999% of the time it's not a profit-making event. If you like the cheap ones, fine. If you want to have fun and try the new fun ones, do it! It'll be fun. Feeling superior to someone for supposedly having "the wool pulled over their eyes" for the, like, $7 you saved is dumb, and not worth the moral quandary.

That said, the NYXL's stay in tuned incredibly better after heavy tremolo use. I swapped over to using them from DR's because of that. I definitely recommend something like Fast Fret with them, though, because I think they're a tad sticky feeling out of the box.

That's not four times the price. Also, why are you so willing to pass judgement on their quality before you even try them?
I've specifically passed no judgement and asked you guys what you think. Sorry for the misunderstanding, dude.

In my shop in the uk for some reason, four times the price. Seems about double net price. *shrug* Guess that's unusual. Just wondering what people thought, no complaining.

Guitar is fun, money doesn't matter that much. I was just curious.

Kthx
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 11, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster

Wow, last time I ordered stings they were like $22 a set, vs $4 for the normal ones. They've come down a lot! I may start buying these more often then.

Quote by Auriemma
I put a set o NYXLs on my PRS just to try them out. Nice strings and all, but not worth the extra cash IMHO.

My thoughts exactly. I usually order the standard XL's in bulk, but last time I ordered, strings and beyond had a deal on where you could get 4 sets of the regulars in a tin with a free set of the NY's for the same price I normally pay for them. I picked up two to try.

I've only used one set so far, on my CU24. I do think they had a little more bite to them, and I just could not bend them out of tune, no matter how hard I tried
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Dec 13, 2015,
Quote by red.guitar
Wow, last time I ordered stings they were like $22 a set, vs $4 for the normal ones. They've come down a lot! I may start buying these more often then.

My thoughts exactly. I usually order the standard XL's in bulk, but last time I ordered, strings and beyond had a deal on where you could get 4 sets of the regulars in a tin with a free set of the NY's for the same price I normally pay for them. I picked up two to try.

I've only used one set so far, on my CU24. I do think they had a little more bite to them, and I just could not bend them out of tune, no matter how hard I tried
And here I thought my thread was almost necro

So you had the same four times the price thing, huh? I wonder what that's about.
Elixers are worth the extra price. NYXLs are just not worth it to me at full price. I've gotten "sample" packs sold on ebay for about half the retail price, which is reasonable.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by dthmtl3
Even if they were SS, I don't see why that would be harder on frets than...regular steel, that's assuming they are entirely made of ss.

EB's stainless steel strings are only ss-plated and the unwound strings are tin-plated, I doubt that would be harder on frets as well.

SS is a significantly harder material than the nickel alloy that gets used for plating on regular strings. Not surprisingly, grinding a harder material against the frets thousands of times will wear them faster. This is exactly why higher end manufacturers are starting to use SS frets on some of their instruments.

The plating of course matters a whole lot more than whether the string is "entirely" SS, because obviously the core of the string doesn't ever touch the fret, and it would be unusual to wear the plating off of a string and still use it for any length of time. I don't think anyone makes a purely SS string, and I don't think it matters much anyway. SS strings (which is what manufacturers call SS plated strings) are pretty well known to wear frets faster.