A first new guitar for me in quite some time. I’d not been playing enough to justify it to myself – I think I’ve got more of an urge to buy guitars than to actually play them.

Anyway, Black Friday rolled around and I was casually browsing the web, when I spotted something…

It’s a box. Oh my. Let’s dig a bit deeper. Within all the packaging there is...

Another box! Things are getting interesting.

A bag! I wonder what's inside?

Ahh! This I like.

It’s a Jackson DK2MHT in Deep Metallic Purple. I feel like I should be forming a hair metal band.

I’m a big fan of Jacksons and their maple fretboard dinkies in particular – I’ve got two of the Japanese DK2Ms already – and I’d quite fancied the Mexican line since it came out around 3 or so years ago. I managed to resist until now.

This particular model isn’t current – if I remember correctly it’s a 2013/2014 model that was dropped from the range this year. I liked it, but over here in the UK at least, the pricing didn’t seem to make much sense. For some reason, the metallic paint really pushed the price up to the same sort of level as the trans-finished Floyd models, and I suspect that put a lot of people off. I think that must have had an impact on sales – we’re nearly at the end of 2015 and a few British shops still have these in stock with the prices somewhat reduced from where they were a year ago.

This particular one came from Rich Tone in Sheffield, who had reduced it a fair amount and then slapped another 25% discount on it on Black Friday, which brought it down to the £400 mark where I couldn’t say no. I’m only just getting around to posting the NGD because I had a bit of bother actually getting my hands on the delivery. Never mind, it's here now.

The guitar was in great condition out of the box, and I immediately gave it a new set of strings and somewhat of a setup. I managed to get the action to where I like it (I’d say about 1 mm on the high E at the 12th fret), with fairly low buzz overall. The fretwork is pretty good, the fit and finish is generally great. If I was to nitpick, there’s a small scuff/minor dent on the maple of the first fret and a slight discolouration of the binding at the base of the headstock, but that’s about all I can come up with.

It plays beautifully. To me the neck profile feels very similar overall to the Japanese models, and I think I slightly prefer the oiled finish on this to the satin on the older ones. Sound wise it's rather like you would expect for an alder-bodied superstrat with a JB/59 combo. I’m not playing through any nice amps unfortunately – I live in a flat with lots of neighbours and thin walls – but it sounds chunky and aggressive even though my old Line6 toneport and cheap old headphones. A ballsy valve amp is the first thing on the list once I move somewhere I can make a bit more noise.

I did a bit of a side by side tone comparison riffing with one of my Japanese DK2Ms, and I could barely tell a difference, like you’d expect from guitars of the same shape/materials/pickups. The main advantage that this one has is the 5-way switch, with the extra two positions being the inside coil of the bridge pickup and the outside coil of the neck pickup. Those positions have got noticeably more “twang” to them than the full pickup and are quite good fun on cleans and crunchy settings.

The three bolt neck joint feels solid and I think it does help the upper fret access, but perhaps not by as much as you’d think. I never had much problem with the old four bolt neck plate, and even though this new joint is more ergonomically shaped it’s still quite chunky and you’ll still run into it.

All in all, I'm very impressed. This is the first time I've had my hands on one of the Mexican dinkies, even though they've been out for a couple of years now. I was disappointed when the Japanese factory shut down, but I think this guitar is just as good. A bargain for what I paid too.

Some snaps of Team Spandex:

Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Dec 10, 2015,
You should call it Team Spandex instead

Super nice score dude HNGD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Nice.

I've also noticed that the white dinky's neck lacquer is wearing through. You must've played the living shit out of it. Not to mention that the necks themselves have overall darkened a bit with age. You can easily coil split those pickups with a push/pull pot as well, which is what I've done on mine. You can get the middle position with both pickups split that way, which you typically can't do on 5-way switches on HH guitars.

Why did you choose this model in particular?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
cool color . no floyd (or kahler) so not hair metal approved. . looks nice enjoy
Love the color! And what a collection. Congrats. But I have to say that dots as inlays on a Jackson is sacrilege. I don' get why they're doing that.
Quote by dthmtl3
Love the color! And what a collection. Congrats. But I have to say that dots as inlays on a Jackson is sacrilege. I don' get why they're doing that.

Because shark tooth/fin is tacky
I love the left-aligned dots, but I do understand inlays are entirely subjective in preference.

OT: I share your love for Maple, OP. Also, thread title is 10/10.
Thanks folks!

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You should call it Team Spandex instead

Super nice score dude HNGD

Ha yeah, you're right. *Corrected*

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Nice.

I've also noticed that the white dinky's neck lacquer is wearing through. You must've played the living shit out of it. Not to mention that the necks themselves have overall darkened a bit with age. You can easily coil split those pickups with a push/pull pot as well, which is what I've done on mine. You can get the middle position with both pickups split that way, which you typically can't do on 5-way switches on HH guitars.

Why did you choose this model in particular?

The white one has been my main player since I got it new in '08. Love that guitar. Though the wear/marking is a bit strange - the dark blotches on the fretboard appeared quite some time back and only on the same frets where the inlays are. I've seen a few DK2Ms go like that, and I never quite figured out why it was. Not particularly bothered by it though, I've had it long enough that a bit of 'character' is to be expected.

It's interesting that it hasn't happened to the black one. I got that one used off ebay in 2013, and judging by the serial number it's older than my white one. Fretboard's in pristine shape. Maybe it just didn't get played that much in its previous life.

I'd consider the push-pull pots if I ever started fiddling with the wiring, but I've not had much urge to do so as of yet.

Why this one? Well, I pretty much like the whole Mexican DK range and there's several of them I'd love to get - like the Floyd model in Chlorine burst, the newer white one with reverse head, Floyd and EMGs, the 7-string DKA7 etc. I also thought it was about time I got one with a hardtail so I could cover a few alternate tunings a bit easier. I'd liked the look of these since they came out, but I thought they were overpriced compared with the rest of the range - until Black Friday rolled around and I spotted this great deal.

I'm the sort of guitar buyer who finds something he likes and then buys a lot of similar ones - I wouldn't be surprised at all if my next guitar was something else from this range. Team Spandex must expand!

Quote by Skullivan
Because shark tooth/fin is tacky
I love the left-aligned dots, but I do understand inlays are entirely subjective in preference.

OT: I share your love for Maple, OP. Also, thread title is 10/10.

I love the classic Jackson sharkfins, but I'm quite fond of these offset dots too. I think they look great. If anything, the Jackson inlays that I'm less keen on are the "piranha teeth" that come on some of the SLAT models.

With dots I find it interesting how much difference a small position shift can make - if I see regular central dots on anything but a Fender body shape, it makes the guitar look cheap to me. But the offset dots look pretty cool and don't give me that same feeling, even though they must be just as cheap to install.

I do think it's a shame that none of the Mexican DK range have the sharkies though.
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your Spandex is wadded up and jammed under the dryer leg to even it out and help stop that drumming sound.
Very nice!

Now you need to re-string it appropriately. Perhaps something in a nice day-glow orange or lime green? Pink?
http://stringsbyaurora.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So...maple? haha

Awesome mate looks sweet!! So do the others. Happy new guitar day!!
Oh it's gorgeous. All 3 are fantastic choices. The neck inlay and color pattern on the black and whites have got to be my fave.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.