Footnote, hope this is the right place to post this.

I have an upcoming xmas budget of around $500 but possibly up to $700 for a nice shiny new electric guitar. So far I have found two options, but am open to any ideas.

The first option is an ESP LTD LMH100QMNT (whatever that means) in Reindeer Blue for $329.

The second option is a Schecter Guitar Research C-1 Platinum in Translucent Black for $499.

I also saw B.C. Rich Mockingbird Custom Pro X for nearly $800, a mark down from $1250... but that's a little steep. Any suggestions? I'm interested in rockabilly, blues, mid 90s rock n roll, and some capability for metal.. if that helps narrow it down.
On a side note: I like the looks of the ESP (that purple... mmm..) and the fact that it has a tremolo. Whereas with the Schecter, I really like the sound of a Schecter.

As far as other brands, Fender would be nice, but pricey. I also love Ibanez but something tells me I'd be disappointed with one. Not interested in Gibson, at all. For Jackson and Dean, eh, I could tolerate one, but wouldn't be too excited about it.
Quote by omgvague
On a side note: I like the looks of the ESP (that purple... mmm..) and the fact that it has a tremolo. Whereas with the Schecter, I really like the sound of a Schecter.

As far as other brands, Fender would be nice, but pricey. I also love Ibanez but something tells me I'd be disappointed with one. Not interested in Gibson, at all. For Jackson and Dean, eh, I could tolerate one, but wouldn't be too excited about it.

Fender have a HH line that would cost around the same as your budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 10, 2015,
Wouldn't it be better to pick a guitar and save up for it rather than just spending $500 because you have $500? Seems like the more sensible thing.
Based on your musical preferences I would look into a used Reverend. There are plenty to choose from but ideally you'll want a HB or RA, the model you choose is up to you. I love their sensei and manta ray, occasionally you can find a daredevil for great prices.

Danny didn't mention it so I figured I would go there.

Seriously amazing guitars for the price.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I would have, but I missed the line about his taste in music.

Problem is, it is tough finding Reverends for $500 on a regular basis. It can be done, but you have to look hard.

Here are some Revs $750 or less on eBay and Reverb.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-/33034/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=reverend&_dcat=33034&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=750

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?commit=Filter&price_max=750&price_min=&query=Reverend
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Anything ESP has been cool in my experience.

The PRS SE guitars sounds really good and come in around that price, though you may need to have some adjustments made before taking it home.

I own a PRS SE Santana and love it, the opeth PRS SE is great too. Check out the stores were you live, If I wanted to buy the opeth guitar for example its almost 1200 usd here but in store down the way its around 650

http://www.amazon.com/Navarro-White-Electric-Guitar-Accessories/dp/B007JOFTOW/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1449786623&sr=8-29&keywords=prs+se

Something like this is a little out of your range but if you look around you could probably find it a couple hundred cheaper minus all the other stuff.

Let us know what you go with!
The Schecter is much better looking guitar if that counts for anything. Classic sort of look and the translucent black is just badass. Purple pointy guitars are just not my cup of tea. I guess it would be OK if you have long bleached hair and wear spandex. lol Seriously though if you can play both, get the one that you like the sound of and feels best in your hands. Hopefully that is 1 in the same. Looks definitely come into play though. We all want a guitar that reflects our personality and taste. I'm a hard rock/classic rock/classic metal/alternative rock(music from the late 60-s - 90's) kind of guy and I want a guitar that reflects that so I like Les Pauls, Strats, SG's, etc.
Quote by Fenderinooo
Fender have a HH line that would cost around the same as your budget.

The MIM Fenders are in the price range as are the higher end squires. Along the Fender line, musicians friend has a G&L ASAT tribute with 2 humbuckers on sale for $299.

Save another $500 and your choices will begin to narrow.
Another $500 after that, and things will start to become clear.
Another $500 on top of that, and I'll be able to show you what stores to frequent.
Another $500 on top of that and you get a latte from the bar while you're considering.
That better be the best damn latte in the world.

Here's a sleeper: the Godin Richmond Belmont. HSS hardtail with a SD '59 in the bridge and SD Lipsticks in the middle & neck positions. Made in Canada. Discontinued, but new ones are still around on store shelves for $650-750. Also comes in a Trans red color, and rarely, with a black pickguard. Used, they can go as low as $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODIN-Belmont-Richmond-Series-Black-Wash-Rosewood-/321525638304?hash=item4adc6be4a0:g:j3oAAOxy3yNTg270

https://reverb.com/item/1300302-godin-richmond-belmont-electric-guitar-black-transparent

https://reverb.com/item/955073-godin-richmond-belmont-burgundy-with-gig-bag

Quote by iamadoorknob
Wouldn't it be better to pick a guitar and save up for it rather than just spending $500 because you have $500? Seems like the more sensible thing.

Yeah, it would, if I were experienced enough to handle a pricier guitar without somehow damaging it or using it to its full potential. This will be my second guitar, so I'm not looking for something too crazy right now.

To everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I'll research them all shortly.
Quote by omgvague
Yeah, it would, if I were experienced enough to handle a pricier guitar without somehow damaging it or using it to its full potential. This will be my second guitar, so I'm not looking for something too crazy right now.

When I decided to go electric 12 years ago, I bought 2 new guitars, one @$500, one over $3K. Few players ever "live up" to the quality of their best gear. Don't put up artificial barriers to your enjoyment.

Just sayin'.

used prestige.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/