An individual pickup for each string. Yes each string would have its own individual magnet with its own individual wires wrapped around it going to its own output jack. The guitar would have six output jacks, six volume controls and six tone controls. It would probably be better yet if it was all active with six separate batteries powering six separate preamps or whatever those things use.

Of course there would be six separate cords going to six separate amplifiers.

Talk about note separation! If I had more money than I knew what to do with I would have this built for me just to hear what it sounded like.

Would it be better? I don't know but it sure would be different.
Last edited by yope at Dec 10, 2015,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 10, 2015,
Something similar has been done. Back in the 50's Chet Atkins did it on his Gretsch protype guitar known as Dark Eyes. I know the guitars current owner and have seen it up close. Look under the low E and A strings. Chet had pickups installed under each of those strings so he could run them separately into another amp to have more control over his style of fingerpicking where he plays rhythmic bass lines with his thumb with playing melody on the other strings.

Another odd thing about this guitar is that this guitar has a solid top. Those "F" holes are not real. The top is solid and the fake F holes are the same sparkle material used on Gretsch drums that were just applied as decoration.
Attachments:
darkeyesfeatured 2.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 10, 2015,
Atlansia made this:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 10, 2015,
Quote by yope
An individual pickup for each string. Yes each string would have its own individual magnet with its own individual wires wrapped around it going to its own output jack.

Sorry, these have been around since the late '60's, in a lot of variations. MIDI pickups have individual pickups, etc.
Current Piezo pickups have individual pickups for each string (check out the Variax guitars that even allow you to use pitch replacement technology to retune each string individually.
Kramer Ripley had individual volume controls for each string for doing something similar to what you are talking about. 6 chords and 6 amps seems like a lot of hassle though. something like an HDMI chord would be more practical but having 6 amps would still be a pain. pretty sure there is a reasonm why this hasn't really been done or in the case of the couple of similar ideas hasn't taken off.
Some of the Gibson Robot LPs, the ones with "tone chameleon technology" besides the robot tuners, can do that when combined with some interface box that they sell. It uses the piezo pickups to split the string signals (which is how the robot tuning works), and can apply effects and whatnot individually to each string.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6