Thanks for any help. Long story short I jumped the gun and ordered a hot rails and a push-pull pot http://www.fender.com/parts/controls-switches/250k-push%2Fpull-potentiometer/0992257000.html . I have a Fender us std strat with fat 50s.

I initially planned to use the push-pull pot in the volume space and make a coil split for the hot rails.

What I really want is to have 3 single coils like a regular strat, plus be able to hit the push pot and have the hot rails humbucker kick in.

I've been reading online and it looks like rather than a coil split, using the push/pull pot to go to parallel mode may be a more popular option. I have no idea which is better.

Also, no idea where to put that pot, in the volume, or in one of the tone spaces.

Thank you
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
In parallel it will still sound like a humbucker, it will just have a lower output than in series.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can use the pot in the volume or any of the tone positions. It doesn't matter- the switch is independent of the pot. As far as what sounds better, it is a matter of choice. A Hot Rails is one hot pickup that even split or in parallel, doesn't sound like a single coil. It sounds good, but not like a single coil. Try parallel first, because it stays hum cancelling. If you don't like it, then change it to split.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Thank you. If I use parallel, will it be too loud if I switch from neck to bridge?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
Thank you. If I use parallel, will it be too loud if I switch from neck to bridge?

Output is reduced in parallel mode, and you can additionally adjust pup height to have everything sound right. I recommend setting the bridge pup's height first and adjusting the other pups in relation to that. But an "optimal" setup will have the HR be the loudest pup; which kinda is the point of a hot bridge pup anyway.
I have an old Ibanez that has TriSound switching; two mini-switches allow you to select serial (standard humbucking, parallel or single coil for each pickup.
You can do parallel/split/series with a single ON/ON/ON DPDT switch too. That's how I do it on my old Ibby Blazer. I've never seen an on/on/on switch on a pot though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Since I just bought this pot I'm sticking to this and not getting another switch or pot. so, parallel it is? Will this at least give me some quack when mixed with middle?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
It should, although not to the extent a classic Strat pickup would. Parallel is about 1/4th of the output on paper, although we don't quite hear it that way. It is cleaner and clearer. Try it and see if you like it- describing sound can only go so far.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by 21GunSalute
Since I just bought this pot I'm sticking to this and not getting another switch or pot. so, parallel it is? Will this at least give me some quack when mixed with middle?

Just go with coil split.