I've seen the name Carvin here on the forums before, but never looked at their guitars. Last night I was watching Youtube videos, and came across some with Carvin guitars. There was a CT624 (I think that was it) that just sounded so sweet. I have no idea what the sound of the guitar is, though, because I don't know what amp and pedals the guy was putting it through.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone in Alabama who has a CT624 who would be willing to let me hear it.
Not in 'Bama, and I don't have one...yet. But I've been able to play a few.

Most of the pickups in Carvins are voiced for medium output and deliver mainstream tones. Which is somewhat "vanilla" to some people. But they do have hotter pickups available, especially in their Kiesel line.

What are you looking for?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A warm tone. I listened to a Youtube video of a guy demo'ing a Carvin with lithium pickups. It sounded really beautiful. But that's in the guy's room, on his amp, with some reverb, playing in a compressed video, and the sound coming through a 16-bit sound card into cheap headphones.
Well, shredders like Jason Becker have used Carvins, but so have classic rockers like Joe Walsh and jazz/proggers like Allan Holdsworth and Frank Gambale. IOW, they can cover a pretty wide variety of tones with the right amps and pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWQ5tujZ54M&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DD2G-TfZOA&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_FUYbzSkO8&sns=em

If you stay away from the higher output pickups in their line and your amp is up to it, you should be able to dial in somehing pretty cozy.

What's the rest of your rig like?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 10, 2015,
Quote by Monkeyleg
A warm tone. I listened to a Youtube video of a guy demo'ing a Carvin with lithium pickups. It sounded really beautiful. But that's in the guy's room, on his amp, with some reverb, playing in a compressed video, and the sound coming through a 16-bit sound card into cheap headphones.

The Lithiums are far from what I'd call warm.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
They have a Carvin/Kiesel facebook group. Join and ask if there's anyone in Alabama that has one. The group is pretty helpful/nice and I wouldn't be surprised if you quickly got a reply from someone in your area or with a comprehensive demo explaining exactly what kinda rig they're using.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Quote by oneblackened
The Lithiums are far from what I'd call warm.

This is one of the videos I saw with the lithium pickups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4461QSXgDjA

The sound is clean, with a chimey quality. It's not warm, but with the right amp it could be. It would be different from the Strats and Gibsons I have now.

If it's too bright, that's another matter. I had one custom guitar that was way too bright. Even putting on D'Addario flat wound heavy nickel strings didn't help.
i LOVE my CT624. probably one of the best built guitars ive seen from any builder at any price tag.

ive had custom builders say " wow" when i open my case and when i tell them what i paid 1 said he couldnt even source the RAW materials for that much and another guy said he definitly wouldnt be able to build a finished product for that much. build quality for price is definitely in the top rankings world wide. its just remarkable.

that being said,

i LOVE my 624 and will probably have it for life. i have some notes:

may consider 22 frets moving forward. 24 does something to neck pickup. its slightly brighter, which ia good for gain tones (no mud) but it loses that "neck pup tone". 24 frets seemingly makes "playing at teh 22nd easier" which is also cool. for any other guitar this is valid. HOWEVER, carvins have such a perfect neck heel, 100% fret access, i dont even think it matters. no other guitar could probably claim the same unless a neck thru or a custom neck joint. most standard guitars on a guitar center rack dont compare IMO.

any "darkness" from a neck pup can be altered with a 50 cent capacitor swap (which i already did anyways).

basically, i never use the 24th fret, it alters the neck pup tone, and the guitar has perfet fret access to the "24 makes 22 easier" debate is really null on a carvin.

i have stainless frets. but get them. just do it. do it.

jumbo frets - i had myself pegged as a medium jumbo guy but as time goes on i think jumbo would be better. unfotunately, i had SS frets put on that NEVER wear out. perhaps i should have got jumbo SS to begin with.

now that they offer the kiesel lithiums, i would get those for sure. I dont know about you guys, but that video sounds great. i look at output, response, dynamics, CLARITY in pups, perhaps i am paying attention to bass and treble response a tad.

but really, i want the warmth, mids etc to be driven by my amp, where the tone should be made.

i think most agree regardless of style of music, nobody likes flubby bass pups or pups that get muddy with distortion, but nobody likes a ice pick to the ears either.

so yeah i would build my guitar again in 22 frets, jumbos on the CT models.

i highly recommend taking a look at the keisel models.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 11, 2015,
Thanks Ikey !! ... I was wondering if the 24 fret sounded different and you answered that ..... the pup kinda does look crowded by the neck on the 24's compared to the 22's
I have both 22 and 24-fret guitars that are otherwise identical, and honestly, it's not possible to make the judgement that the number of frets really makes a difference to the neck pickup. WAY too many other factors involved. I have 7 Carvins at the moment...and counting.
Quote by dspellman
Carvins are not sold to anyone in Alabama. Just because.

Yeah, well, we have Muscle Shoals sound studio and a bunch of others. What do you have?

If the lithium pickups sound anything like that video, I'd like them a lot. Besides blues stuff, I like to play Rolling Stones, The Faces, etc. On "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up", and other songs, Keith gets an almost bell-like tone from his C and G chords. I can't get that with most strings or pickups. The lithium pickups sound like they could do it.
Quote by Monkeyleg
Yeah, well, we have Muscle Shoals sound studio and a bunch of others. What do you have?

Carvins.

I guess El Lay doesn't have much else...

Quote by Monkeyleg
On "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up", and other songs, Keith gets an almost bell-like tone from his C and G chords. I can't get that with most strings or pickups.

Keef gets some of that from tuning to Open G and some of it from eliminating the bottom (thickest) string altogether (he plays a five-string) and some of it from playing a telecaster. I think he's also got some old Fender amps that reproduce that nice "KeeRANGGG" in that special way.
Quote by dspellman
Carvins.

Keef gets some of that from tuning to Open G and some of it from eliminating the bottom (thickest) string altogether (he plays a five-string) and some of it from playing a telecaster. I think he's also got some old Fender amps that reproduce that nice "KeeRANGGG" in that special way.

Actually, on "Brown Sugar", the tuning is Open G, but the low E, A and high E strings aren't used, so standard tuning is fine for that song as well as "Start Me Up".

Also, in the first years of playing Brown Sugar, Keith used a Stratocaster. I've never seen him use a Telecaster on that song in any videos from the 1970's. I've seen them on every tour since 1972, and he only started using Telecasters on Brown Sugar in the 1980's or 1990's.

If you listen to the album, when he hits the E flat and C chords in the 9th bar, they really ring out. I had one guitar that would ring out like that, but it was too "chimey" for anything else, and I had to go with flatter strings.
thats a long standing debate with 22 versus 24 on sound. and yes there are a lot of vairables.

but on MY guitar, my specific guitar, there is really not too much difference in sound between the neck and bridge and that is the majority of what makes me say that. personally, i believe teh 2 fret spacing made a difference. not bad, i LOVE my guitar. i am nit picking.

and as i explained, if it were any other guitar, i may prefer 24 frets. on a carvin, due to its build qualities and superb playability, i would take 22.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)